RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2017, 09:28 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Broken hood brackets-Itasca

Bad news on my 2013 Itasca Sunova 33C class A gasser.
Raised the hood to check the oil, oil fine, went to pull down to close the hood and the metal brackets on either side became unglued from the fiberglass. Now the hood won't close, remains in the half upright position, flops around and is a hazard. Going to a body shop today. Cross my fingers. Any comments/ pointers/ encouragements, let me know. Can't believe these metal brackets are only epoxied onto the fiberglass!

DWTK is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2017, 09:50 AM   #2

Lots of information out there on engine covers and especially headlight frames coming unglued from the body. Appears the cause is winnebago applying the epoxy to painted metal. I reglued both my headlight frame to the front cap and one half of the engine cover to its frame on my journey 36g by cleaning the paint off the metal and using one of the JB Weld epoxies made for body attachment along with clamps to hold it in place during curing

neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:41 PM   #3

Many people just drill a few holes and use SS screws in those brackets that were just glued by Winnie. I used 6-32 flathead Phillips and countersunk the holes. They're small enough they're hard to see, the countersinking means they can be painted over and the plastic insert lock nuts mean they'll never loosen.

I haven't needed to do the front cover yet, had to do the rear engine hatch cover and the large piece below that. Here's my blog posting on the job: Body Work

Really makes for a simple job, hardly any work at all. Biggest problem was getting a standard drill back behind the grill to drill through the bracket hole and through the fiberglass. A 90 degree drill would work best.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:23 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Tried a Camping World for the bracket fix and they don't do that kind of work. Luckily, they referred me to a gem of a company, Scott/Shawyers Auto Body & RV
AND THESE GUYS ARE TERRIFIC, Located in Post Falls, ID, if you ever need body work done on your RV. We overnited in their parking lot with good internet, water and 30 amp power. Now that what I call service. I highly recommend them.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:46 PM   #5

Would never recommend CW for any service work of any kind. Lucky you got a decent referral for a body shop. Nice to know about a good RV body shop in that area. Please post a review about them for your fellow RVers on RVServiceReviews.com

But...what did the body shop do? Re epoxy? Something we all know can fail again years later or even very quickly afterwards? Or screws? Some other method?

Curious.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:53 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I will post the review as recommended. They said that the proper way to do it was to epoxy wood block supports to the back of the fiberglass hood and then screw or lag bolt the brackets. The only problem he mentioned is that it would mess up the alignment of the brackets and the hood would either be too far out or too far in and would not close properly or securely. He has repaired one of these before with a special type of epoxy and the owner never had a problem since. Mine has been epoxied and the clamps will stay on overnight for curing. Hope it doesn't happen again. It was a poor design by Winnie.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:35 AM   #7

We had similar problem with various brackets on our 06 Horizon. I used JB Weld to reattach the brackets. That was 3 years ago and they are still firmly attached. Be sure to remove any paint and rough up the surfaces to be epoxied I used 80 grit sandpaper paper to rough up the surface.

KD4XR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca