Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Built in tail light converter?

Hi all,

I am hoping to draw on your knowledge base. I have a 2003 Journey DL 34HD. I tow my Dodge pickup behind it with magnetic LED lights on the bed rails. When I first wired the toad using the Winnebago 6 light plug, both the brake lights and the turn signals worked on the toad even though they are combined. I assumed that the coach had a built in tail light converter since it has separate stop lights and turn signals.

Last week I changed out the 6 way round plug on the coach to a 7 way to match all the rest of my vehicles. I checked and verified each wire and placement in the new plug for power and function. But now my toad stop lights won't work. The running lights and turn signals work fine. I thought I might have burned out a fuse or the converter so I called Winnebago. They told me that my coach does not have a converter listed in the wiring diagram. If it really doesn't, I am confused how the lights on the toad worked properly before.

So, did any of you with 2003 Journeys have to buy and install a tail light converter or did it work fine from the factory?

Thanks!
Tad
tqqest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #2

Your coach does not have a tail light converter, at least not from the factory.

See signature below.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #3

Four things I suggest you check ...
  1. are the marker / tail lights working on your coach
  2. are all the wires live at the plug on your coach
  3. are all the leads live on the umbilical cord when it is plugged in
  4. are you sure that you have the wires in the correct postion in the new 7 way plug ...
Diagram

I have a 2004 Journey ... I have battled this problem several times ... it has been a loose connection in both ends of my umbilical cord, blown fuses, and a corroded connector ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter