Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2007, 10:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I posted this elsewhere and got no response, so I'll try here with similar owners:

In the past I have seen many diesels (including my 80's V-8 Olds) that poof smoke on acceleration until warmed up or anytime they deliver significant power. I have seen this a few times on my C-7 only when ramping up from a stop when cold, and it's gone quickly. It seems to take about 3-5 miles of warm-up before it clears up. I assume this is somewhat normal?

tnx, Jeff

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I posted this elsewhere and got no response, so I'll try here with similar owners:

In the past I have seen many diesels (including my 80's V-8 Olds) that poof smoke on acceleration until warmed up or anytime they deliver significant power. I have seen this a few times on my C-7 only when ramping up from a stop when cold, and it's gone quickly. It seems to take about 3-5 miles of warm-up before it clears up. I assume this is somewhat normal?

tnx, Jeff

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 06-10-2007, 01:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Jeff,
Yes, I think that's common as long as it's minor. I've never noticed it myself, but my wife has mentioned it a couple of times when she was following me in the car as we left storage with a cold engine.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

If you mash it when it's not fully warmed up, it will smoke. Watch your genset exhaust...if you start it up in colder weather, it usually smokes for a half minute or so.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:31 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
I can see a little smoke (actually particulate soot) in my drivers side mirror even on minor acceleration until the coolant temp gets above about 170 or so (monitored on TripTek). The software release notes for the latest flash upgrade listed a change to reduce cold smoke. Can't say really whether it had any effect.

Regarding genset smoke, on my Onan the only smoke I ever see is oil smoke in the first 10 seconds if it's not previously warmed up.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

OK, I feel better now. It actually takes very little throttle to cause it to do this.

Another good reason to let it warm up for 30 min @ 7AM in the campground <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">(just kidding...........)</span>

ps- I have zero smoke out of the generator, even when I started it in Quartzsite at 31 degrees.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 06-10-2007, 08:40 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
I speed up the engine warm up process by turning on the engine block heater about 90 minutes ahead of expected start time even when it's not cold outside. The reported coolant temp will get to about 95 degrees. The engine starts quickly and quietly. And with fast idle set to 1000rpm the coolant temp will get to above 150 between 5-10 minutes (depending on outside temps) and your off.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote