Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2015, 04:12 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
California Highway 395

We are planning a trip this July up 395 to Seattle and was thinking about going up through Lone Pine California. Our best friend was a childhood actress and appeared in many western movies. They have a museum there that we would love to visit. We are then going up to Bishop and cutting across through Yosemite to the 101 Highway. I'm wondering if anyone has driven that route in their Motorhome. Will it be a tough pull for our RV?
We have a 2002 32 ft Winnebago Adventurer and will be pulling a trailer with my show car.

Thanks Jerry Smith
2002 Winnebago Adventurer
kstateaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2015, 06:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstateaddict View Post
...cutting across through Yosemite to the 101 Highway. I'm wondering if anyone has driven that route in their Motorhome. Will it be a tough pull for our RV?
We have a 2002 32 ft Winnebago Adventurer and will be pulling a trailer with my show car...
You were doing fine until you decided to cross over Tioga Pass. After Bishop there are only two passes over the Sierra Nevada range, Rt 120 at Lee Vining and Rt 108 about 17 miles past Bridgeport. I've never taken 108 but I drove 120 once in my WGO View 24J and it wasn't fun. You might be more experienced at mountain driving than me but there's no way I'd take 120 in my WGO Vista 30W with a toad. Having said that, I've see other Class A motorhomes on that road so it's not impassable, it's just a high pucker drive. If I absolutely "had to" take 120, I'd unhook and drive the toad separately.

Last year, we drove 395 to Lakeview, OR and cut across to Klamath Falls. If you have the time, you might take 395 to Pendleton, OR and cut over on 84 to 82 and a straight shot into Seattle. Good luck.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:51 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Lee for your information. It looks like we will by pass going up 395 on this trip because it sounds like we need to set aside more time to see Death Valley, Lone Pine and Bishop. Thanks again.

Jerry
kstateaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstateaddict View Post
...more time to see Death Valley, Lone Pine and Bishop...
You didn't mention DV and Bishop. Just DVNP can take years to see half of it. Add in Mono Lake, Alabama Hills, Bodie State Historical Park, Ancient Bristlecone Pines NF and a dozen other spectacular areas and you're talking about some of the most awe-inspiring scenery in the US.

I've spent many years photographing that area and always find new things to amaze and inspire me. Search my site (www.thedigitalphotoguy.com) for Bodie, Mono Lake, Alabama Hills, Death Valley, Yosemite and petroglyphs and you'll see a little bit of what I've seen there. Hope you can make it back in the near future.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california