Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2014, 05:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Camping World RV Sales?

Why is it most of the dealers for Winnabago brands are at Camping Worlds? I like CW for buying stuff, but not for buying an RV. I also do not want CW to do my warranty/repair work.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

There are tons of Winnebago dealers out there that are independent dealers. They might not be as close/convenient as your local CW, but sometimes the added drive is worth not having to deal with bad service/sales.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:54 AM   #3
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I think Winnebago Industries requires a certain amount of inventory before they will allow dealers to sell their products. Camping World stores are always on large properties with lots of space. The dealership I do business with used to sell Winnies but they were not able to keep a large inventory due to the size of the property subsequently Winnebago would not allow them to sell their coaches. Now they sell used ones but not new along with other manufactures new coaches. A stupid move by Winnebago as they were a Winnie dealer for over 20 yrs. and consistantly under priced Camping World and Lazy Days.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I bought mine from an independent dealer, much better price and friendlier customer service!
artpe54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If you remember back to the 70's when inflation took off a lot of study was done about the cost of stocking small dealers. That lead to the elimination of inventory (I don't have it but I can get it.) and the significant growth in large retail chains where the maker only needs get on check instead of 200 or 2000 /mo. I expect that is what is going on with Winnebago as well as the rest of the industry. They have a deal with CW and a protected territory. No other dealer within many miles of any other dealer. Around here they are spaced around 70 miles. Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Bath NY. From what I have seen in other parts of the country that seems close so you can draw your own conclusions.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:10 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Why is it most of the dealers for Winnabago brands are at Camping Worlds? I like CW for buying stuff, but not for buying an RV. I also do not want CW to do my warranty/repair work.
IMO, the owner of CW has a business plan very similar to that of Sam Walton who grew Wal-Mart to become the mega-retailer it is. Marcus is a very opportunistic, profit-minded businessman, and therefore has become a "perfect match" for the current business model at WBGO. They each enable the other.........
Old 07-21-2014, 06:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

FWIW, I've had no problems dealing w/ my local Camping World.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
FWIW, I've had no problems dealing w/ my local Camping World.
Good for you! Others may be interested in knowing where yours is located.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Good for you! Others may be interested in knowing where yours is located.
Its in Lakewood, NJ. They've had some service writer turnover there as the new manager is working diligently to tighten the ship up, but overall I've been happy w/ the sales, finance, and service departments. I don't feel like I'm in it all alone ...

Tags
camping, sale