RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2018, 01:37 PM   #1

Can I leave the RV plugged in while itís in long term storage?

I live in Hawaii so we Store our coach in Vancouver, Washington. The storage facility has 110v available and many RVís are left plugged in. I think I read that Winnebago recommends not leaving it plugged in. Anyone have experience with this situation? Itís a 2006 Itasca Meridian 36G.

Hawaii Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2018, 01:41 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
HD-

Is there a reason to keep it plugged-in? If not, then better not to.

An unrelated topic: You should add a "signature" to your profile. It contains whatever info you want; most people put info about their coach there, so they don't have to type it into each message. Instructions for adding a signature are here.

l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:59 PM   #3

If you don't leave it plugged in, you need to disconnect the batteries or they will be dead when you come back to coach.

I leave mine plugged in to 20A extension cord and I keep a dehumidifier running (with dehumidifier drain going to shower drain - but I also need to check the gray tank level periodically or it will fill up). i'm in Florida so there is a lot of humidity in the air.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:01 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What inverter/charger do you have?
My Winnie 2004 came with a 2000 watt Dimension inverter/charger. It has a 3-stage charger with a 13.2 volt float charge. I left it plugged in all the time.

Use a digital meter to check your battery voltage after it's been plugged in for a few days. If it's 13.2v you're good to go. If it's 13.6v or more then it will boil out the battery water in a few months.
You will need to use a jumper cable to connect the coach batteries to the engine battery so it gets charged too. Remove the jumper cable when you're ready to go camping.

My 1985 Lance Camper had a 12v converter that put out 13.6 and it would cook the battery if I left it plugged in 24/7. So I used a lamp timer and it would charge for 1/2 hour each day. That worked for me for 15 years I had the camper.

Good luck,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:16 AM   #5

I leave my rv plugged in to 120vac and use a Battery Tender.

My rv's converter sometimes would boil the house batteries and does not charge the chassis battery. After losing a couple sets of batteries over the winter, I do it this way and haven't had a problem since. I just unplug the converter and plug in the Battery Tender.
JPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:18 PM   #6

Thanks everyone for your advice. I guess the safest route would be to leave it with the batteries switched off as I have done for the past 13 years or so. Since I am paying for the electricity I just wondered if I should be using it. Now I will try to figure out how to leave a signature as recommended.��
Old 12-08-2018, 03:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii Dick View Post
Thanks everyone for your advice. I guess the safest route would be to leave it with the batteries switched off as I have done for the past 13 years or so. Since I am paying for the electricity I just wondered if I should be using it. Now I will try to figure out how to leave a signature as recommended.��
A few items are not routed through the disconnect switch, as previously suggested, remove the negative battery terminals to insure there is no battery drains.
Then again, if your coach has a 3-stage battery charger it may not harm the batteries to leave the coach on 102VAC all winter, just make sure they are full of water.
Our MH with 3 stage charger, is plugged-in any time we are home. Another possibility is just using a trickle charger/maintainer on the battery banks and bypassing the MH charger.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:03 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My previous motorhome was a 2003 Chieftain and my last one was a 2005 Horizon. Both motorhomes had a 2000 Watt inverter with a 3 stage charger. I left both of them plugged in 24/7 12 months of the year. My last set of batteries were 4 years old and still working well. I just replaced them this Fall as a matter of preventive maintenance. Based on my experience if you have a 3 stage charger you should be able to leave your rig plugged in 24/7.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #9

I will definitely check the output of my charger the next time Iím using the coach. Unlike you, I canít go outside to check on everything. I have left the coach unplugged with the batteries switched off for 6 months and have not had a problem in the last three years. Your Horizon is probably equipped with the same charger that mine came with so I feel like itís a safe bet that I can leave it plugged in.

Thanks,
Dick
Old 12-09-2018, 02:08 PM   #10

Why turn it off....If I'm not traveling, mine stays plugged in and have never had a battery problem.....people that fulltime never turn theirs off...you can change out the circuit board to a 4 stage....Boondockers RV has them...and I live in this one 6 month at a time every year..
Old Today, 06:42 AM   #11
Commercial Member

when you disconnect the batteries, some items lose their memory. if you leave it disconnected long enough, the engine computer will take a little time to relearn its functions. but thats not normally a big deal.
i do leave mine plugged in all the time, because i want the batteries to remain charged all the time. i have to leave on very short notice sometimes, and i find thats one less item to worry about.

azpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage