Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2017, 09:46 PM   #1

Can you identify these devices?

I have a 2002 Journey DL 36GD. In doing some preventative maintenance I found a steel plate mounted to the chassis behind the rear passenger wheels and battery compartment. One item looks like a solenoid and the other two are identical somethings (fuse?). Can anyone tell me what each of these items are for before I try to clean them? Currently everything on my Journey is working and I want to know what I might be affecting before I work on it. I have looked through the Winnebago parts catalog and wiring diagrams but can't seem to find these. Here is a picture (upside down, you are looking up at the plate mounted to the chassis).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170912_192847.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	176645  
mdvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2017, 09:59 PM   #2

Freightliner chassis .

Left to right , in my photo.
Starter relay , 135 amp circuit breaker for all coach battery loads ( including gen set start , 135 amp C/B for all chassis battery systems ( except engine starter.)

I take it that ( J 91808 ) is part of your chassis serial number , mine is all over my frame too.
Contact Freightliner's free help line for wiring diagrams and schematic for your chassis .Have your serial number handy . 1-800-385-4357
The C/Bs show up in the schematics .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Batery fuses.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	176647  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MH starter relay.pdf (109.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 09-14-2017, 10:03 PM   #3

another picture

I suspect the two identical devices ( left and center of original picture) are fuses. Here is a side picture of one with the manufactures name BUSS on it. BUSS is a large fuse manufacturing company. I would like to know what lines these fuses and solenoid are located in (devices).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170912_193145.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	176648  
Old 09-14-2017, 10:10 PM   #4

That looks identical.

Skip426,
Thanks! That looks like the same plate and layout. Are you sure about the amps on the fuses? In my wiring diagrams there is a 300A fuse shown but no pn or location given.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvs View Post
Skip426,
Thanks! That looks like the same plate and layout. Are you sure about the amps on the fuses? In my wiring diagrams there is a 300A fuse shown but no pn or location given.
Possible change from year to year . Your chassis may have extra loads on the systems.
Haven't cleaned mine to look , got the 135 amp from the wiring schematics from Freightliner.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:15 PM   #6

Just saw your info about contacting Freight Liner. Thanks again!
Old 09-14-2017, 10:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Freightliner chassis .

Left to right , in my photo.
Starter relay , 135 amp circuit breaker for all coach battery loads ( including gen set start , 135 amp C/B for all chassis battery systems ( except engine starter.)

I take it that ( J 91808 ) is part of your chassis serial number , mine is all over my frame too.
Contact Freightliner's free help line for wiring diagrams and schematic for your chassis .Have your serial number handy . 1-800-385-4357
The C/Bs show up in the schematics .
last part of vin is J918080. Great info, I can't say thanks enough.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:21 PM   #8

I stand corrected .

Schematics only show the chassis battery system 135 amp C/B and I'd always assumed they were both the same.
But with the gen set starter off the coach battery C/B it could be higher .
I've found the C/Bs online and outside size is all the same ; ratings are different.
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2017, 10:54 PM   #9

Quote:
mdvs,
I have the almost same exact layout, in the same exact spot on our coach. It is the starter relay system. When I was doing some work on my A/C unit and had it completely out of the coach and sitting on some saw horses, I was able to gain clear and complete access to that starter relay system and do all the maintenance/rebuild/replace of any and all parts that needed it. Mine were seriously corroded and rusted. In fact, mine were so bad that, any attempt to remove any nuts, that held on any wires, on any component, just BROKE OFF immediately.

Well, I contacted Freightliner and, they told me the numbers of all the parts on that panel. So, I ordered up all of them and, one by one, removed all the bad ones, cleaned the panel, repainted it, and cleaned or replaced all cable/wire ends with new components. I then re-attached everything. It looked brand new when done.

I have pictures of all of that operation on Photobucket but, that lousy, rotten Photobucket now wants to charge $300 a year to host photos so that we can attach them with posts. Man that site pi$$es me off. I'm in the process of trying to extract all of my photos from it and maybe put them in IRV2 photo storage. You'd see just exactly what you're dealing with if I could attach my refinished starter relay system.
Scott

P.S. On edit: I was able to add photos but, mine aren't "Attach THUMBNAILS" , mine are Attach IMAGES so, you can not click on them to expand them to see detail. Still got to figure that part out
Attached Images

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:09 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Scott, you did a fantastic job!
Old 09-14-2017, 11:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsamole View Post
Scott, you did a fantastic job!
I wish I had Scott's patience , you should see the pictures of his basement storage , If he ever gets them back from Photobucket .
Old 09-15-2017, 07:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
mdvs,
I have the almost same exact layout, in the same exact spot on our coach. It is the starter relay system. When I was doing some work on my A/C unit and had it completely out of the coach and sitting on some saw horses, I was able to gain clear and complete access to that starter relay system and do all the maintenance/rebuild/replace of any and all parts that needed it. Mine were seriously corroded and rusted. In fact, mine were so bad that, any attempt to remove any nuts, that held on any wires, on any component, just BROKE OFF immediately.

Well, I contacted Freightliner and, they told me the numbers of all the parts on that panel. So, I ordered up all of them and, one by one, removed all the bad ones, cleaned the panel, repainted it, and cleaned or replaced all cable/wire ends with new components. I then re-attached everything. It looked brand new when done.

I have pictures of all of that operation on Photobucket but, that lousy, rotten Photobucket now wants to charge $300 a year to host photos so that we can attach them with posts. Man that site pi$$es me off. I'm in the process of trying to extract all of my photos from it and maybe put them in IRV2 photo storage. You'd see just exactly what you're dealing with if I could attach my refinished starter relay system.
Scott

P.S. On edit: I was able to add photos but, mine aren't "Attach THUMBNAILS" , mine are Attach IMAGES so, you can not click on them to expand them to see detail. Still got to figure that part out
Scott,
I'm going to do what you did but will wait until after our up coming trip. I'm afraid that if I touch any of it I won't be ready to depart in 2 days. What amazes me is the location of these parts. Being right behind the rear wheels they get bathed in road grime and water. I plan on putting some easily removed protection on the new parts and connections. I'm thinking of using chain wax. This is something that my son uses on his motorcycle chain. It leaves a thin coating of wax that repels water and dirt. I'm open for suggestions on other products that people may have used.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:32 AM   #13

Quote:
My mistake, the last 6 of the vin is J91808. I don't know how I added that extra 0 when I wrote down the vin
Old 09-15-2017, 01:45 PM   #14

When you get around to doing this change out and it's complete, you might want to consider fabricating a sheet metal shield around this area, seal seams with some silicone and then coated it with a weather proofing rubberized spray material.

I have a large 12V fuse box right behind my front left tire with lots of wiring & fuses in there. A fella here a few months ago posted where water got all in there and created a real electrical nightmare. So, on the outside of this box—under the chassis—I fabricated a couple of pieces of sheetmetal, sealed every seam good and then sprayed that rubber sealer over the top of that with 3 coats. Water is NOT going to get into there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote