RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2019, 07:32 AM   #1

Can't get dryer out of coach

My Ariston/Splendid clothes dryer makes a terrible noise, so I set about to remove it from my Winn Journey 36M.

It is attached to the washer below with an angle bracket and screws that go into the dryer's front/bottom - no problem.

However, there seems to be another bracket at the REAR/top/right that attaches the dryer to the cabinet. NO WAY TO GET AT THIS! I can't reach or see back there to determine how or where the bracket attaches. Did they build the dryer cabinet around the appliances? My only thought now is to rip apart the medicine cabinet in the adjacent bedroom to see if access can be had through there.

Help/advice please? Thanks

underdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2019, 07:35 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Be a little more forceful. The legs of the washer may have indented into the floor.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Be a little more forceful. The legs of the washer may have indented into the floor.
To clarify: dryer is stacked on top of washer. I can separate it from the washer, but not from the bracket at back/top holding it to the cabinet.
Additional force will rip/damage something.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:30 AM   #4

I had to replace the motor in our dryer. I removed the three front screws from the bracket, tilted the dryer back enough to place a 2x4 behind the bracket and slide the dryer forward. The rear bracket did not have any screws in it. The back of the dryer has a slot that the rear bracket slides into. Simple once I figured it out.
gcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:18 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
underdw, what year is you 36M?
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcamper View Post
I had to replace the motor in our dryer. I removed the three front screws from the bracket, tilted the dryer back enough to place a 2x4 behind the bracket and slide the dryer forward. The rear bracket did not have any screws in it. The back of the dryer has a slot that the rear bracket slides into. Simple once I figured it out.
I was so hopeful when I saw your response. I think you were referring to the bracket at the back/bottom of the dryer.
Mine has an additional bracket at the back/top/right.
I ended up tearing apart the bedroom medicine cabinet (stapled together) for access to the area behind the dryer. I was correct that the (3rd) bracket was screwed to both the dryer and motorhome aluminum frame. I probably would have needed to do this anyway to get to the vent connection on the back of the dryer.
Anyway, I got it out. Now, to deal with the repair....
Thanks for trying to help guys.
Dan
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2019, 05:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdw View Post
I was so hopeful when I saw your response. I think you were referring to the bracket at the back/bottom of the dryer.

I ended up tearing apart the bedroom medicine cabinet (stapled together) for access to the area behind the dryer. I was correct that the (3rd) bracket was screwed to both the dryer and motorhome aluminum frame. I probably would have needed to do this anyway to get to the vent connection on the back of the dryer.

Dan

I guess I was lucky. The only thing attaching the washer and dryer to the coach floor are the L brackets at the bottom of the washer.
gcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdw View Post
Dan
Hard to figure how/why the put that bracket on the side of your dryer. Pulled my dryer out yesterday in my 2014 Journey 36M...finally decided to deal with the noisy motor bearings that for some reason we put up with since day one!

Mine w/d set was installed at dealer as part of the purrchase deal and they didn't really do it properly, which contributed to difficult in removing. They didn't use the Ariston/Splendide stack kit and had some other brackets bolted only to dryer and sticking down behind washer about 2", and 2 small L shaped brackets in front screwed to washer and dryer. When I initially looked at it after they finished I gave the dryer a tug at the top and it easily rocked forward! So they put a 1x4 board tight down across the top of the dryer with double sided tape and secured at each side of the upper cabinet with 3 screws at 45 to keep the dryer from tilting out...hokey, but has worked ok for 61k mi.

Getting the brace board off the top of the dryer (sawed the double sided tape with long knife) and finally realizing I had to get the back of the dryer tilted up over 2" so the useless brackets would clear the washer were the biggest problems. That and dang power cord getting caught when I have the 67lb dryer 2/3 out into the hallway! Oh yeah, did this alone...dumb.

Pulled the side panel on the dryer and slipped belt off motor shaft and ran it to verify motor causing noise and not drum...yep. Got the motor out, old bearings pulled off, and new ones due in tomorrow. Also ordered the Ariston stacking kit (SK02) thru Walmart to use when I reinstall dryer.

I had pulled off my outside dryer vent cover/duct earlier and looks like I'll put the short vent hose on the dryer when sliding it back in and then reinstall the outside duct into the vent hose once dryer positioned...I hope.

Several good YouTube videos on taking the dryer apart, replacing bearings, etc.

Rmedad is online now   Reply With Quote