Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2017, 08:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Carry extra Gas?

I had a question about carrying extra gas and all answers were negative and rightfully so. Well my towed vehicle is always full so I purchased a siphon pump (manual) and hoses and carry an empty gas can just in case I run out on some country road in Fargo. Yea, I know I can disconnect and go look for fuel but as things go today I may not find my motorhome where I left it when I get back. Chuck:

Ps: Remember the 50's, all of us Hot Rodders carried a piece of garden hose, getting a mouth full of leaded gas and are still here today and gas was $ 19.9 per. gallon. Ah, The old days. LOL!
Chucksterfxw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:50 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

As a 60's hot rodder I can relate, but there's a lot of difference , between getting a hose into a 50s/60s vehicle tank and any modern car with a filler neck roll over valve, and unleaded filler restriction.
If you haven't tried to get gas out of your current toad , don't wait till you need to, try it now . You'll probably find it would be quicker to drive and find fuel than to get any usable amount out of the toad.

JMHO: If the MH is sitting, on the road side, out of gas , there's probably a very short list of people who could steal it.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Have someone create a secret kill switch on it. Shut it down before you leave. Did you know public buses have them?
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Why would you ever let it get that close to running out in the first place. Your generator will only work until you get down to about a 1\4 tank. After that it wont work on most motorhomes. This is so the genny cant drain the tank and leave you stranded. If you ever break down or need the genny in an emergency, it wont work if you are below 1/4. For that reason I would think most people wouldnt find any need to carry extra gas. I do carry a small 1200 watt backup generator for emergency purposes and a small one gallon can of gas.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
Have someone create a secret kill switch on it. Shut it down before you leave. Did you know public buses have them?
The secret kill switch is the empty gas tank, unless MH thiefs are carrying cans of gas.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I agree with Skip. If you've run out of gas on the side of a road I would think only a heavy wrecker is gonna make off with your rig.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I carry gasoline. For a portable generator and emergency use. I also carry diesel in case of emergency need.

One can't siphon from my toad. The hose won't go down, by design. I can siphon from my 1991 pickup with dual tanks.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The secret kill switch is the empty gas tank, unless MH thiefs are carrying cans of gas.
The OP stated he was worried about still finding the mh after going for gas, he wanted an extra layer of peace of mind.

you're not from New York? We had a heavy wrecker shop doing special appropriations on the side years ago.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
The OP stated he was worried about still finding the mh after going for gas, he wanted an extra layer of peace of mind.

[emoji23] you're not from New York? We had a heavy wrecker shop doing special appropriations on the side years ago.
Born and raised on Long Island, NY.
Seen and heard of plenty of missing pieces of equipment. The city, I worked for, lost a few. [emoji6]
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:15 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

At 67, I have run out of gas one time in my life. It was probably 1975 or 76, second or third year we were married. It was a Saturday morning. I knew the van was on fumes. Got paid on Friday afternoon. The filling station was two blocks from the house. Money in hand, I ran out of gas half a block away.

I've carried extra gas for back country four wheeling and ATVing. Never needed it. But I still do in some circumstances like extended boondocking. In the motor home or towing the TT, I plan ahead before I leave knowing when I'll need fuel/gas. Occasionally, I've had to pay too much, but I didn't run out.

With a functioning brain and the Internet, you should not need to carry extra gas/fuel unless you are doing extensive traveling/boondocking in the big empty of the Four Corners.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:59 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

If I can't make it to a fuel station before burning up 75 gallons of gas, well shame on me.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:21 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

I did not see the original thread, but if you need a good fuel can check these out, Wavian USA

They are not cheap, but they work well. These actually seal and do not leak. There are tons of reviews on them.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas