Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2006, 12:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I tried to install my CB this morning.

I have a 2004 39W Journey.

I was unable to locate the "plastic bag" with the end of the CB antenna cable.

I dug throught the mass of wires and hoses hidden under the dash but could not find any end in a plastic bag.

I removed the plastic shroud from the left pillar of the windshield ... there is a black cable (coax I think) disappearing into area below the dash.

Is it possible that this end is under the carpeted wedge that is under my left foot in the drivers compartment?

If it is likely to be there how do I remove the wedge?

Thanks in advance for your help ...

Wayne
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I tried to install my CB this morning.

I have a 2004 39W Journey.

I was unable to locate the "plastic bag" with the end of the CB antenna cable.

I dug throught the mass of wires and hoses hidden under the dash but could not find any end in a plastic bag.

I removed the plastic shroud from the left pillar of the windshield ... there is a black cable (coax I think) disappearing into area below the dash.

Is it possible that this end is under the carpeted wedge that is under my left foot in the drivers compartment?

If it is likely to be there how do I remove the wedge?

Thanks in advance for your help ...

Wayne
Old 05-15-2006, 01:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Wayne,

If by wedge you mean the left foot rest, yes it may well be under or behind there. Mine was. There are 3 screws aong the front edge - front being the side facing you.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:06 PM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Should be three phillips head screws...that's what held mine on and the bag was directly behind the footrest
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Thanks Adrian and Bob ...

I removed the "footrest" this mornng ... and yelled like a California gold miner in 1849 "Eurika I have found the mother lode"

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">The CB antenna lead and power leads were under there ....</span>

It must have been time for coffee break when they installed my "footrest" on my rig ... there was only ONE screw holding it in place ... but it one must be enough because it had not moved ...
Old 05-17-2006, 05:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I found mine also. Feels like an Easter Egg Hunt. It was in back of the fuse panel. I do have a puzzling question though. What are the whit and yellow wires for.
The Corba unit I purchased has a red and black wire from the box.
Thanks for your help

FireStarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:08 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Winnie's usually pretty good about that CB package. The yellow wire should be labeled +12v or POS, while the white will be the negative ground.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

thanks, troth

FireStarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:16 PM   #9

Yea, I think those guys at the factory get a kick out of "lets hide the CB wires". One of our camping weekends with our club kept all the fellows busy trying to locate the hook up wires in everybodys coach since they all went out and bought CB's. Got to be kind of funny for all us girls.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:04 PM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

The DW always marvels at my tendency to find a project on the eve before a camping trip...Today's project was rather small, I decided to mount the CB vertically on the front of the little shelf under the left drivers window....

Used to just lay the CB on the floor,now I can actually see it,instead of "feeling" it.

Probably only a 1 or a 2 on the "Canfield" scale of difficulty,but it makes it easier....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:40 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

If i did not have a CB antenna installed would i still have a power wire? I have found a three prong conector with two yellow wires and one white wire,would that be it? Or should i keep looking.

2005 Voyage 33V

2011 Honda CRV
CarlLent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:00 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

CarlLent, my advice is "No, that is not the CB power wires". Reason being is that they specifically provide just one white and one yellow wire, usually very well-labeled, and coiled up with the tail of the antenna coax under the dash area.
You'll find that yellow and white wires run all throughout your coach, so the convenient triplet you found belongs to some other function.
If you did not get the CB antenna option from Winnie, you can still do it all yourself, but it's a bit of work. Aside from mounting an antenna and routing the coax to your radio, you can go to an auto parts store and get a "power tap" with a separate fuse holder (I'd use 3A) and tap off the underdash fusebox hot side, say the Accessory or Radio fuse. Suggest you also do an advanced search in the Winnie & Workhorse forums for "CB radio", and read up on some of the tips like ground planes, SWR setting, etcetera.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:59 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks troth, after looking some more i found a set of wires one yellow and one white on the right side but not mark CB. I think this might be the power wire,with key on there is power and with key off no power.Thanks

Carllent 2005 Voyage 33V

2011 Honda CRV
CarlLent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:40 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I changed the CB hot wire to the dash radio coach or chassis switch, This will allow the CB to be on without the ign being on. The reason was that everytime I shut off the ign and then started again the CB would revert to Ch. 9 and I wouldn't hear anything for several miles until I remembered to change the channel