Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2005, 02:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

My book and Winnebago say that my Sightseer is pre-wired for a CB and the antenna is optional. I had 2 dealers tell me that they only but the wire in if there is an antenna, I have looked and so far I have not found the wiring. The questions are 1: Should there be wiring? 2: Where would the wire end for the antenna? I do not see any stickers for it on the roof; there was one for the sat. dish.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

My book and Winnebago say that my Sightseer is pre-wired for a CB and the antenna is optional. I had 2 dealers tell me that they only but the wire in if there is an antenna, I have looked and so far I have not found the wiring. The questions are 1: Should there be wiring? 2: Where would the wire end for the antenna? I do not see any stickers for it on the roof; there was one for the sat. dish.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:45 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

On our Adventurer. There was a CB ANT. already mounted. There was a plactic bag under left side of dash with wires for CB.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 10:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I Found my cb wires today on my adventurer, they were in a plastic bag behind the fuse panel
on the drivers side near the floor.

2005 WINNEBAGO ADVENTURER 38J
JDR43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 11:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The CB antenna was already installed on my '05 adventurer 38r. The wiring was behind the fuse panel under the left side of the dashboard. I had to remove the trim panel in order to find them. They were pretty well buried back in there. They're was a white, yellow and coax with a PL-259 connector in a plastic bag.
Ol'joe
Ol'Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 10:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Is the antenna a flexible rubber type? I have 2 on my Sunova. Also have outside entertainment option , Manual says wired for CB but don't see a CB type antenna.....

2005 Itasca Sunova 30B/Workhorse
Robert & Kiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I got all the plans from Winnebago for my RV (even has my Vin# on them) and it does not show any CB wire. It sounds like your RV is setup just like mine. My manual says wired for CB, I think the manual covers many rigs.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:47 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Dave, Are you saying that there isnt a cb antenna folded down, laying on the roof, probably in the left front corner of the roof? There is probably a black rubber looking antenna in the center of the roof right behind where the front end cap meets the roof. That is your radio antenna. Then to the left of that, is your cb antenna. They usually fold them down for delivery. If you do have it there, the cb coax wire comes down inside the "A" pillar on the drivers side and then under the dash. Like has been said, it will be stuffed up under the dash probably and you need to kinda hunt around for it.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 02:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

It took a while to find mine, I found the antenna first and then had to hunt the wires, the plastic bag they talk about being wrapped around the end of the wires was not even visable until I started pulling on the right wires. If you've got an antenna you'll have the wiring.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Dave I have 2001 adventurer and there is a metal antenna on the drivers side of roof and as the others state there is wiring inside the front panel.
Living the Dream------ Largo, Fl.
Newmar 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:53 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

All I have for antennas is the 2 rubber ones, 1 for the chassis radio the other 1 for the outside entertainment center.
No there is no CB antenna that is why I asked "2: Where would the wire end for the antenna? I do not see any stickers for it on the roof; there was one for the sat. dish."
Old 03-22-2005, 05:47 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Dave, I went back and read your post alittle closer this time. The antenna is usually located about 3" back from where the front end cap meets the roof and about 5"'s in from the left side of the coach. So the cable runs down kinda above the ceiling cabinet in front of the driver and down along that "A" pillar that is between the front windshield and the drivers side window. It ends up under the dash tied together and usually has a plastic bag around the end of it. Now, quite frankly, the running of the cable isnt that big of deal. The "A" pillar comes of with about 6 screws and it is easy to run a cable down thru there. The problem I would see is where exactly to place the antenna if there isnt a label on the roof. I think you might want to get the dealer involved and get their suggestions.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:40 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

... as an added comment about the CB wiring ... my 1999 34Y has a smaller coax connector than the regular size on the back of most CBs. I had to go to Radio Shack and buy a female to male adaptor to make it connect. When trying to connect it, the adaptor I purchased had finer threads than the connector which Winnebago provided. If anyone knows the correct part number for this adaptation, I'd appreciate it and its source. On another note, it must be a dual frequency antennae because the weather channels work.

2001 Adventurer 32V
FrankieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 05:27 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I agree with the posts so far...I have a 2005 Sightseer that is suppposedly pre-wired for the CB. On the roof, I have the two rubber antennas but nothing above the Driver. How is the antenna mounted to the roof. I am a little nervous about this even if the dealer does the work.
Herkyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 05:39 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I have an 04 Horizon and I have looked for the CB cables and I have been unable to find anything. Took the dash off and looked under the dash , can't find anything. I have the antenae on the roof above the driver but thats it.
hogbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 02:01 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

The power and coax should be in a baggie to the left of the steering wheel maybe shoved way back in against the firewall.

I ordered our coach with the CB and the control box is screwed to the firewall and it is very difficult to get to. (I wanted to check the SWR of the unit and of course it was high)

The antenna on our coach is a whip about 18 inches long, base loaded with a spring (good thing too as I found out ). It is mounted on the roof above the driver's position.

--John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 02:41 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankieJ:
... as an added comment about the CB wiring ... my 1999 34Y has a smaller coax connector than the regular size on the back of most CBs. I had to go to Radio Shack and buy a female to male adaptor to make it connect. When trying to connect it, the adaptor I purchased had finer threads than the connector which Winnebago provided. If anyone knows the correct part number for this adaptation, I'd appreciate it and its source. On another note, it must be a dual frequency antennae because the weather channels work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Frankie - a couple of suggestions:

Try to identify your connecter by calling Amateur Electronic Supply with dimensions maybe even a picture you can send them. Look them up here and call one of the stores directly so you get to speak to one of the counter salespersons. I wouldn't call the 800 ordering number - you might just get somebody whose primary language isn't English

Suggestion number two:

Whack off the oddball connector and replace it with the standard PL259. Here is a great reference about coax and how to solder on your own connectors.

If you go with the second suggestion, please, please, please don't buy solder-on antenna connectors at Radio Shack. They are Asian junk - I have found it extremely difficult to get solder to stick to the metal of the barrel their connectors without sanding & scraping (and pre-tinning). You might wind up overheating the wire and this creates problems. Amphenol makes by far the absolutely best connectors. Use them.

As far as the antenna being "dual frequency" - no, not really. For the weather band almost any length of wire will work okay. The transmitters have so much power, you could probably use the fillings in your teeth for an adequate antenna It is critical that the antenna be tuned or "matched" to the transmitter, but not so for weather band.

--John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 03:06 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

My 2004 Sightseer 30B has no antenna and no wiring. Guess it is an option that wasn't on the coach. So I got a CW glass mount and attached to the drivers side window and use an old handheld CB with batteries. I rarely turn it on, but it's there if I get in a traffic jam on some interstate.
Art D is offline   Reply With Quote