Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-16-2016, 03:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

CDI Forest City, IA recommendations

Since CDI paints Winnebago motor homes, I thought I would inquire on the Winnebago forum.

The paint and clear coat on my roof radius is failing and I have not been able to find anyone local to me who will repaint in a timely manner or at reasonable cost. We will be traveling through Iowa late summer/early fall and I called CDI in Forest City about doing this. They said sure. They said they would redo the base coat and put clear on it for about $1,000. They said it normally only takes one day.

Their price is quite a bit lower than any other estimates I have been given. Also, while I guess it is possible, I don't see how they can do it in one day. I realize, of course, the roof radius is not a highly visible place so it does not have to look pristine. They did say they use Sikkens paint which is what is now on my coach.

So, I am looking for anyone who has had experience with this type of rework done by them.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:03 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I had a less extensive paint repair done but am thoroughly pleased with their work. Dave is the manager and he's a straight shooter. They operate a large shop that can handle 20 units or more at a time. I saw work being done from complete new paint jobs to extensive damage repair. Let us know how it all works out ... thanks
Old 05-16-2016, 07:24 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Since CDI paints Winnebago motor homes, I thought I would inquire on the Winnebago forum.

The paint and clear coat on my roof radius is failing and I have not been able to find anyone local to me who will repaint in a timely manner or at reasonable cost. We will be traveling through Iowa late summer/early fall and I called CDI in Forest City about doing this. They said sure. They said they would redo the base coat and put clear on it for about $1,000. They said it normally only takes one day.

Their price is quite a bit lower than any other estimates I have been given. Also, while I guess it is possible, I don't see how they can do it in one day. I realize, of course, the roof radius is not a highly visible place so it does not have to look pristine. They did say they use Sikkens paint which is what is now on my coach.

So, I am looking for anyone who has had experience with this type of rework done by them.
They actually have two plant locations, CDI in Forest City/Charles City, IA and Carrera Designs in Elkhart, IN. They probably paint a lot of the units from various manufacturers that come out of Elkhart. As you can see from their website, they do all kinds of units, from race cars to buses and boats.
Motorhome painting - RV painting - custom paint

Mine was pretty minor as the service center had scratched up one of the lower panels while putting in a new slideout arm. They completely repainted and clear-coated the whole panel and I was able to leave the next day in the late afternoon. I don't know how they can do it that fast. I should have asked, maybe a curing booth or heat lamps?

It turned out great. Paint color matched the original and the finish was perfect. I wouldn't hesitate having them do paint/body work for me if I ever need it, in fact that's the first one that I would go to.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:42 PM   #4
GG1
Winnie-Wise

CDI

I had CDI do work in Aug last year. They did the roof curve both sides front to rear, the front end and several other areas that was fading all in one day 7 guys worked on the coach i dropped it off at 7 am and picked it up at 5 pm they did a terrific job. The biggest problem I had was finding a restaurant. Visit Clear lake Iowa if you get a chance
Old 05-17-2016, 05:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the feedback. I know that basecoat dries very quickly and clear can be put on the same day. However, I thought clear needed a bit of cure time, whether it be in an oven or otherwise.

I do have a few other places that could stand a bit of work (road rash and some paint bubbling on some aluminum) that I may ask them to address. I did speak to Dave Nagle and he was very nice and accommodating.

We spent three days in FC some years ago having work done on our Journey. We enjoyed breakfast at a café in the only large grocery store in town. There was also a sort of sports bar/grill just past Lichtsinn Motors that had pretty good food.

If CDI did need to have the coach for more than one day, do they have any RV spots with electric at their place? Otherwise we would probably stay at the municipal park in town. Or now that Winnebago owns Country Coach, perhaps they would let us stay in their rally grounds .
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:

If CDI did need to have the coach for more than one day, do they have any RV spots with electric at their place? Otherwise we would probably stay at the municipal park in town. Or now that Winnebago owns Country Coach, perhaps they would let us stay in their rally grounds .
Gary;

Bev and I were at Forest City April 4 + 5. We had the roof coves completely resealed. They needed it a day & 1/2. WGO upgraded the electric and parking at the Visitors Center. I believe it is all 50A now. I believe the overflow parking at the factory is going there now.

Bev and I now stay at the Super 8 down the road a little south on Hwy 69. The charge was a little over $75.00 and they give you breakfast. It takes about 1/2 hour at night getting it ready to sleep and 1/2 hour in the morning getting it ready to work on. We estimate we save about $50.00 every time we do this. Let us know how it works out for you.

Good Luck;

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

We had our roof radius painted while at the 2014 GNR. I had them repaint about 6 compartment doors too .... 10 yrs of rock dings and scratches. In addition my awning blew apart while we were gone and beat against the sidewall and destroyed all 3 colors in a 2 ft circle. That was my main motivation to get CDI to repaint. In at 7 am and ready at 5 pm, except I saw a big run on the front corner which they quickly jumped on and had me out around 6 pm. All for $800, but I think you have to be the original owner. They painted
buddies 2005 Meridian frt/rear cap and roof for $220. I think they charged him the cost of the paint. He was a very happy camper.

Their quote to you for around $1000 is very good. You might consider having them do to compartment doors too. I asked them to touch up the rock dings but when I saw the results the dings were gone and the whole door had a fresh clear coat and looked new again.

In their shop when I checked on progress at noon:
Old 05-17-2016, 05:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Bill, I do plan to have them address a couple of other spots especially some aluminum edge trim on two of my slides where the paint has bubbled.

The front cap on a Country Coach is glassed to the roof without the type of roof-to-cap joint like I had on my Journey. I told Dave Nagle that and he said they would just repaint the top of the cap when they did the roof radius.