Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2008, 08:02 AM   #1

I have a 1996 Vectra, bought just this past summer. During the first major rain storm after I got her home from AZ where she had evidently seen little rain, water came pouring through a cracked satellite dish (I was wait-listed for seals and repairs already but the job instantly got bigger as you can imagine!).I got it tarped right away but the ceiling fabric/white carpet is irrevocably stained and I want to treat the surfaces underneath with an anti-mildew product as I have a serious allergy to mould so the fabric has all been ripped out and a new dish is to be installed..

My question is: should I replace the fabric with the same material, i.e. that whitish fabric/carpet (that my repair guy has managed to obtain) or change to a vinyl covering on that part of the ceiling (the cab area only)? The service guy also wants to put the carpet/fabric on the inside of the door as that vinyl is also worn and peeling, perhaps from the door having been left open in inclement weather. I thought that might help with insulation but wondered about the drawbacks of carpet on that door. Any suggestions??

Thanks everyone for your comments.

IM
IslandMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2008, 08:02 AM   #2

I have a 1996 Vectra, bought just this past summer. During the first major rain storm after I got her home from AZ where she had evidently seen little rain, water came pouring through a cracked satellite dish (I was wait-listed for seals and repairs already but the job instantly got bigger as you can imagine!).I got it tarped right away but the ceiling fabric/white carpet is irrevocably stained and I want to treat the surfaces underneath with an anti-mildew product as I have a serious allergy to mould so the fabric has all been ripped out and a new dish is to be installed..

My question is: should I replace the fabric with the same material, i.e. that whitish fabric/carpet (that my repair guy has managed to obtain) or change to a vinyl covering on that part of the ceiling (the cab area only)? The service guy also wants to put the carpet/fabric on the inside of the door as that vinyl is also worn and peeling, perhaps from the door having been left open in inclement weather. I thought that might help with insulation but wondered about the drawbacks of carpet on that door. Any suggestions??

Thanks everyone for your comments.

IM
IslandMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just my thoughts and not based on any real experience:

...the carpet-like material might offer more sound-deadening than vinyl, a minor advantage I would think.

...I would choose vinyl. It looks good, is available in most any color/grain, and would be much more easy to clean than the carpet. Would think someone who does automotive interiors could do a nice job replacing the ceiling with a padded vinyl.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:40 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Having had large sections of mine replaced twice(both under warranty), I wouldn't hesitate to replace the carpet with vinyl. Any water leaks and, in some cases, condesation will cause stains that most of the time can not be cleaned. I couldn't clean mine on either occasion nor could the Winnebago factory folks. IMHO you will be better off in the long run replacing the carpet with a vinyl product.
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:29 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have allergies, vinyl is the only way to go. Just find a match that you like and go with it.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote