Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Ceiling headliner failure

I did a search and not much there on this condition.
Has anyone replaced the headliner( looks like leather)
and did you use the same liner to reattach?

We have a 2004 Vectra 40AD, the very rear area
over the bed let go.....reglueing to the old foam
is not an option.

Phelpo
Phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A little more info please

Why is re-gluing to the foam not possible? Do you assume the foam substrate merely appears unworkable or do you have serious voids/ holes in the foam material?

I ask this as I've patched many an auto headliner by re-gluing fabric back in-place to the oem foam backing. A "powdering" of the foam surface can be treated. The key is to seal the deteriorated surface of the foam so that adhesive will stay and make a bond.

Additionally, If you witness a shrinkage of the fabric and/or it covers too large an area...then these, too can be overcome with a little diligent DIY'er surface preparation before reattaching the oem fabric.

Can you take a picture or give rough dimensions/description of it? I assume it occurs at a battten strip location. Is it out in the mid-ceiling, or closer to one wall? It might be possible to add a decorative ceiling moulding or cornice treatment in an effort to conceal. Would a ceiling fan excutcheon do the trick?
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:48 AM   #3

Winnebago had a problem with ceiling fabric releasing from the substrate for a few years. I personally had the problem. Winnebago installed ribs at the seams of the substrate on mine. They covered the entire ceiling about every 4 ft front to back. I balked when first advised this was the best fix. However, after they did the job, I really liked it it, everyone that looked at it liked the results and I never had the sag problem again. They offered wood, or steel with plastic color matched caps on the ribs.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:16 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I am having the same issue with my '96 Winnebago. I plan on fixing it this weekend by following the ideas in this link...

Repairing drooping headliner
John_N_Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
update, called winnie, talked to Al, he has worked
in the shop and done these repairs. Can't
reglue, won't hold for the long term, have to remove
foam (hot putty knife) works well. Could use
old material if I get it real clean. Part of the foam
is off, more coming off.

Phelpo
Phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:49 AM   #6

What are you going to replace the headliner with once you remove the original? I also have a 04 40AD but have had no issues so far.

Thanks,
Pete
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #7

I've got the same issue with my 95 Itasca and have been going over the repair options suggested here and on other sites. here's one I came up with that I haven't yet run across. Please comment on it's feasability. Remove vents, lights, etc. from the ceiling. Tear down the sagging headliner, trimming it at the cabinet frame. Clean remaining foam and glue from the plywood. Then paint the ceiling as you would in your stick house. You guys (and gals) think this solution would work or am I just expelling liquid waste into the wind?
TailgatinTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:13 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
From an architect's perspective

Painting is ill-advised as the plywood layer underneath is not a "finished" surface suitable for painting. It's grainy, has 48" spaced seams, rough edges.. Even if you apply a premium sealer base coat,It will look like a piece of junk and look real crappy in the end. Your eye will automatically be drawn to the different ceiling treatment & it will give anyone the impression that you've had a damaged ceiling. This is not the right approach if you want to camouflage the area. The key idea is subtlety.
The eye needs to perceive that the ceiling is congruous throughout the coach. Any glaring change-of-surface will grab and hold your attention.

If the damaged portion is out in the "field" area; and not necessarily, adjacent to any wall edges....I would attempt to build a decorative wood frame similar to new high-end coaches...that leaves a border area of the original ceiling material, say, 16-20 inches on all sides. The frame could be an open frame or have an inset panel of the same material, a padded foam with very similar fabric, or a mirror surface. It might, then, appear more oem, or decorative accent in-lieu-of "patched repairs" and thereby depreciate your coach.

This is all conjecture, since we have very skimpy info on the area in question and it's overall shape and appearance, lights, a/c, etc. Can the OP post a few pics with some indication of area that has pulled free?
Old 07-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pictures attached

Here is a visual of what I mentioned above.

The first is a padded accent with a minimal frame surrounding.

Second is a frame trim only.

For an applied frame only repair:
The separated foam portions could be concealed after they are infilled with new foam. The original fabric stretched taught and re-glued [yes, it can be done, contrary to the earlier post]. The applied trim then "covers" over to detract the eye from seeing any waves in the overall ceiling surface. It allows peeks of the oem fabric to show through the framework and appear as if designed that way originally from the coach-builder.

Third is an infinity mirror treatment of approx. two inches depth. A real high dollar overkill on a conservative coach. But, you get the idea of the mirror.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	padded.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	12090   Click image for larger version

Name:	separates.jpg
Views:	1542
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	12091  

Click image for larger version

Name:	infinity.JPG
Views:	770
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	12092  
Old 06-28-2017, 07:38 PM   #10

My 2004 Itasca Horizon ceiling just started to fall in several places. I have ruled out water damage; and the only climatic factor is that I stored the coach in Montana for the winter. ...That and just age. But all at once I have 4 different areas showing signs fo problems and I believe each one is the soft vinyl separating from the foam.

Could the freezing cold for 5 months caused the vinyl to separate from the foam?

The foam is still in good shape underneath and is firmly attached to the roof. However, accessing the bubbles in the center of the roof will be difficult using a 3M spray can that does not have a plastic wand... like a WD40 can has.

Speaking of sprays: I have seen several references on what type to use. So can anyone tell me what type of spray they would use and how that would approach this repair? I.e., is 3M 80 good enough or what about using Loctite 200 Middleweight "High Initial Tack" which at least says it bond foam, leather,fabric, and PVC to wood or glass or metal?

Can anyone also tell me how do you remove those battens that are spaced every 4' side-to-side? Do they just pull down or does the edge separate?

Here's a picture:

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:11 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Headliner failure and replacement proceedure

On my 05 Itasca Horizon, the entire headliner came down. Everything except the bathroom. I wrote and article and posted on this site.

You can do a search for it " Headliner Replacment proceedures It was posted on August 13 2013 If anyone wants additional information you can personal message me.
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:26 PM   #12

Thank you for your reply. This is a serious problem and I'm surprised there is not more interest.

May I ask, how did you removed the dividers that are spaced at 4 feet between the panels?

I read your solution, but I hope to learn some other owner used a 4x8 sheet of ???? and then inserted it in between the dividers... leavine the foam-vinyl As-Is, but so far not luck.

I'm going to experiment pretty soon. And I may include a skylight or add some ceiling art. ...Anything will be better than a saggy headliner.

As things are, it look like there is water damage, but this is not the case.

If anyone has an idea of what to do with a saggy headliner, please let the rest of us know what you did to fix your headliner?
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:45 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We had a Winnebago some years back and the same thing happened in front. We took it to an upholstery guy. He went to Lowes, and bought white mounding strips, flat on one side rounded on the other. He then gathered the loose material at the lateral seams and stapled it back to the plywood. He used the molding strips to cover the rows of staples. Lots and lots of staples.Turned out pretty nice. The only flaw was at the cabinets there would be a slight bulge where the fabric would stretch one move.
About a year later it started in the bedroom area. I owned a compressor, so I bought a good staple/ nail gun and did it myself.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:24 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My headliner is also starting to fail in several places, despite the fact that Camping World said they replaced it a year ago (just prior to me getting the coach). I will probably try to glue mine back.
The following link from this forum contains a couple of other solutions.
Ceiling vinyl separating from foam backing...
Just more food for thought...

John
JohnandRenea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling