Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2015, 07:22 PM   #1
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Charcoal in drinking water

Anyone have a charcoal filter break down? We had black water flowing through the kitchen spigot for a short time. I thought perhaps the in line filter malfunctioned so I removed it. Also this was the first time this season the water was turned on in the campground. This happened after we were hooked up overnight. More black came out again for a short time then it ran clear. Any thoughts?
Old 04-21-2015, 08:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Was this a new filter that had not had water run through it? I've seen new charcoal filters that had to be flushed or have several gallons of water run through them to clear out a carbon residue and then they would run clear from then on.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Was the filter exposed to freezing temperatures???
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Unless it's a Carbon block filter, your going to get black water from a new Charcoal filter when first used. Most tell you to flush for 3 - 5 minutes.
Chuck & Teri, 1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Every time I put the blue filter on the spigot I flush it out before hooking up the hose and then flush out the hose before hooking to the coach. This also prevents air in the hose and faucets when you first turn them on. The charcoal wont hurt you at all...
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:47 AM   #6
GG1
Winnie-Wise

None of the above. The filter is a hydro life installed in the water compartment. We had it installed all winter while we were in the south. We stopped in a campground in Penn. (Thousand Trails Hershey) to clean out the tanks before heading home to Jersey. There was air in the campground pipes which came out the second day that we were there, the water system in the area we were on was off all winter. When we got home I ran water from our home through the system and a blast of black still came out for a second or two then ran clear. I was thinking about calling the filter company
Old 04-22-2015, 09:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I suspect the air burst damaged the carbon filter. There is an upside to this; charcoal reduces gas and upset stomach. You are probably not getting 100% filtered water now.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
Was this a new filter that had not had water run through it? I've seen new charcoal filters that had to be flushed or have several gallons of water run through them to clear out a carbon residue and then they would run clear from then on.
Yep, I've seen that and I think the instructions said to run water through it for just that reason.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water