Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2005, 11:44 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just received a call from a traveling friend asking if the motor alternator charges the house batteries while
driving. I told him that I belived it does on my 1999 Adventurer on Ford F53 and that I think it would be the same on his 2003 Adventurer on the workhorse....was this the correct answer....anyone know for sure ?

2004 Adventurer 38G
J Stemler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2005, 11:44 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just received a call from a traveling friend asking if the motor alternator charges the house batteries while
driving. I told him that I belived it does on my 1999 Adventurer on Ford F53 and that I think it would be the same on his 2003 Adventurer on the workhorse....was this the correct answer....anyone know for sure ?

2004 Adventurer 38G
J Stemler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 12:30 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
J,

Yes, the alternator should charge both chassis and coach batteries, if everything is working right. Easiest way to tell for sure is to display the coach battery voltage on the "One Place" panel with the engine off and again with it running. If the engine alternator is charging them, they should read at least 1 volt higher (probably around 14v) with the engine running.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:59 AM   #4

I have a friend with an '03 Adventurer 33V (Workhorse), and his will not charge the house batteries with the engine alternator. He even followed up at a GNR visit to Forest City where they confirmed it would not do it. The only way he can charge the house batteries is by plugging into shore power or running the genny. (They did tell him at GNR that he could hold the "dual" switch in on the dash which would momentarily connect the house batteries with the engine battery, but that's not practical). I still find it hard to believe, but he's confirmed it with voltmeter tests at the house batteries (engine on, engine off). This is a Winnie wiring thing, not Workhorse or Ford. I do know that the '04s will charge the house batteries via the engine alternator while driving (but only if the main coach power switch by the steps is "on").
Old 06-29-2005, 03:02 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coaches, for years, have had a battery isolator that keeps the chassis and coach battery banks separate but allows both to be charged by the alternator.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote