Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2018, 10:12 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check Transmission Temp Warning

I have a check transmission temperature warning intermittently. Took the coach to an approved Allison service center and after running through the checks of run up to temp etc., there were no issues. After talking with Allison corporate, all of the sensors are internal and must be read with their equipment.
Allison said that this temperature sesnsor was an aftermarket add on by Workhorse. Before I call Workhorse I thought I would ask if anyone had had this problem, know where the sensor is located, and a replacement part?
Thanx!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2018, 10:15 AM   #2

Just throwing it out there but maybe the threshold for the warning is set too low?
Old 06-27-2018, 02:17 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can’t find any info on set points or where the sensor is located. Allison says check with Workhorse and Workhorse corporate says talk with the dealers. Called local dealers (Houston area) provided by Workhorse and no one knows anything about it? Ran instrument cluster checks and all lights are fine, no warnings and no OBD II communication when warning is active. Coach has just now gone past 30K mileage. I know this cluster has issues from other posts maybe that is the problem or a bad ground? Gets a bit frustrating.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:32 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
If you are getting the gear symbol in the upper left side of the display, that is a "Check Transmission" indicator, not temperature.

I've had it come on intermittently and I found it needed about 1/2 quart (or maybe it was a full qt) of tranny fluid.

I have a Scan Gauge II and it reads my tranny temp .... in 14 yrs and 102,000 miles I've never seen the temp get high.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:41 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
What is considered normal range on those temps?
Old 06-28-2018, 04:11 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
What is considered normal range on those temps?
I'm not sure how wide of range normal would be, but mine stays around 240 deg on flat lands and 260-270 deg pulling hills.

I'll be in 110 deg heat starting Monday and then heading to Colorado where I'll be climbing 3 passes over 10,000 ft and two at 11,000 ft. So I'll keep an eye on the engine and tranny temps.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:17 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
Trans temp

Is your trans a 6speed? You cant monitor the trans temp on a 6speed. Allison may be able to monitor it with their equipment thru the round connector under the dash. The trans temp sensor should be in pass side radiator side tank where the trans cooler is located.
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:34 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I had the trans high temp warning come on twice while in AZ in April. First time was going up a long pass in hot weather, pulling a 2009 MB GL320 (5200 pounds + trailer) I normally only pull my Ranger, but a friend broke down in NV, and I towed his MB back to Phoenix. The temp gauge I had installed climbed to close to 120 C, and then the light came on. Normally it runs around 80-90 C, so it was getting hot. I slowed down and took it easy and eventually the warning went away.
I have the same chassis as you, so if you only get a warning while on a long hard pull and it goes away when the going gets easier, I wouldn't worry too much. Pull the dip stick for your trans oil and see if it smells like burnt oil. If not keep on truckin'. If the oil is dark and smells burnt, maybe you have a problem.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:42 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
ck trans temp message

according to the Allison operators manual for my 07 W24 260 f and above is the trans temp overheat mode and will only let the trans operate from 1 thru 4th gear. What is the scenario when you get the trans temp message? Have you monitored the engine coolant temp when the trans temp message comes on? You need to monitor engine coolant temp with some type of scanner the dash guage is not an accurate measure. I have the same scenario going on and i monitored the engine coolant temp and when it gets around 220 F is when it seems trans temp message comes on pulling grades. Allison recommends when you get trans temp message is to pull over and run engine abt 1500 rpm for 5 min to bring engine and trans temp down. Extended operation in overheat mode can damage seals and parts internally in trans.
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:13 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsrtrider View Post
according to the Allison operators manual for my 07 W24 260 f and above is the trans temp overheat mode and will only let the trans operate from 1 thru 4th gear. What is the scenario when you get the trans temp message? Have you monitored the engine coolant temp when the trans temp message comes on? You need to monitor engine coolant temp with some type of scanner the dash guage is not an accurate measure. I have the same scenario going on and i monitored the engine coolant temp and when it gets around 220 F is when it seems trans temp message comes on pulling grades. Allison recommends when you get trans temp message is to pull over and run engine abt 1500 rpm for 5 min to bring engine and trans temp down. Extended operation in overheat mode can damage seals and parts internally in trans.
With my trans going to close to 250 F, I checked the oil level and condition. It seems to be OK, but I'm thinking of sending a sample away to get a professional opinion. I have 90,000 km. on it now, so oil should be good for another 60-70,000 km. yet.

It was shifting fine and the engine fan didn't kick in, so coolant temp wasn't too high. I'm guessing that the warning message is there to alert you to a pending trans over-heat so you have time to back off a bit and let things cool down.

Anyone looked into the new AMSOIL Torque-Drive oil as an alternative to Allison TranSynd?

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
I'm not sure how wide of range normal would be, but mine stays around 240 deg on flat lands and 260-270 deg pulling hills.

I'll be in 110 deg heat starting Monday and then heading to Colorado where I'll be climbing 3 passes over 10,000 ft and two at 11,000 ft. So I'll keep an eye on the engine and tranny temps.
Bill: If I'm reading your posts correctly, you are monitoring your TFT on a SG II. If so, your TFT "should" be close to the engine coolant temp. IMO, a normal engine temp should be 10 degrees plus or minus from 200*F and I would be very concerned if your "normal" TFT is 240. There is a chart in the WCC Chassis Guide showing how long the TF can "last" at various temps, and I'm think it isn't too long at 240 degrees. I hope you have switched to TranSynd or another TES-295 approved fluid, which should help with the high temps you are seeing, but I would be looking to see "why" you are running so hot. Best wishes and safe travels, Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:25 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry, I screwed up. I meant in the 100's and not 200's. But I shouldn't posted any numbers til I drove it and monitored the TFT and given actuals. I would have edited that post earlier if I could. I do have TranSynd and the color and smell of fluid is good.

But I'm still interested if the OP has a temp problem or a low fluid level issue. What is the indication on the Actia? The gear symbol is all I've ever seen.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:58 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Trans 6 Speed

It is a 6 speed 2100MH; it does not come on while climbing but will on flat ground. For example; if you are familiar with I-40 dropping down into Needles which is a fair downhill decent. Used grade brake some but turned off b4 reaching bottom of grade. A few miles down the road it it sends the warning. Engine temperature is fine, the funny thing is this all started after a fluid change and in cooler weather on a flat road.
I just purchased a scanguage II so I can monitor as well as the gauges. The transmission fluid does not smell burnt and I has just turned 30K miles. Starting to think the sensor wire might have been nicked etc. causing the warning.
I will check that out after losing 100lbs to climb under the coach?
Thanx all!
Old 06-30-2018, 10:00 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's temp info on Allison transmission from Workhorse Chassis Guide, page 39:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	temp.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	209024