Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2018, 02:19 PM   #1

Clear Coat Issues

When coach was delivered new, 3 years ago the clear coat on top of the cab was cracking and showing orange peeling. Dealer corrected that. Now 3 years latter the clear coat on top of coach between roof and gutter pieces are all orange peeling and flaking off. Rest of coach is good. I checked with a RV body shop and the cost estimate to repair was in the $5,000 range. Ridiculous for about 4 square feet of work. Was thinking about trying some sort of refinish myself. I can mask to rubber roof and to the squared piece of metal that I call the gutter - so it wouldn't have to be perfect. Plus it is 12' off the ground. Anything would look better than the dandruff that my coach has on its top now.
Anyone have any product knowledge of what might work and or be compatible with existing clear coat?
Thanks in advance.

CAPTAIN'S QUARTERS -2015 WINNEBAGO VISTA 36Y, Blueoxing a 2007 Honda CRV
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2018, 08:32 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I have a friend that used marine deck paint. Just find a colour that is close and brush it on after you sand the flaking area.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post
When coach was delivered new, 3 years ago the clear coat on top of the cab was cracking and showing orange peeling. Dealer corrected that. Now 3 years latter the clear coat on top of coach between roof and gutter pieces are all orange peeling and flaking off. Rest of coach is good. I checked with a RV body shop and the cost estimate to repair was in the $5,000 range. Ridiculous for about 4 square feet of work. Was thinking about trying some sort of refinish myself. I can mask to rubber roof and to the squared piece of metal that I call the gutter - so it wouldn't have to be perfect. Plus it is 12' off the ground. Anything would look better than the dandruff that my coach has on its top now.
Anyone have any product knowledge of what might work and or be compatible with existing clear coat?
Thanks in advance.

CAPTAIN'S QUARTERS -2015 WINNEBAGO VISTA 36Y, Blueoxing a 2007 Honda CRV
Wet and dry sand paper - Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0736S5TSD...2C%2036-Sheets

Clear coat two stage - Spray Max - tape and Mask for You - https://www.amazon.com/Spray-High-Gl...+clear+glamour

Take lots of pictures and repost your results - you are not alone in this project.---

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:01 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Another solution:

Let Winnebago's paint contractor CDI repaint for little to no cost.

In 2010 they repainted the top of my front cap and rear cap and entire roof radius both sides for the cost of the paint $220. They did while I attended the Grand National Rally in July. I took it in at 7 am and it was ready at 5 pm. I had them repaint several compartment doors too for an extra $500.

Now 8 yrs later folks tell me the coach looks nearly new. I bought the coach new in 2003.

Call the CDI manager Dave Nagle, 641-585 5901.

Plan a vacation to Iowa next Spring or Summer.

Good luck,
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-0716141117.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	225962  
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:05 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
Another solution:

Let Winnebago's paint contractor CDI repaint for little to no cost.

In 2010 they repainted the top of my front cap and rear cap and entire roof radius both sides for the cost of the paint $220. They did while I attended the Grand National Rally in July. I took it in at 7 am and it was ready at 5 pm. I had them repaint several compartment doors too for an extra $500.

Now 8 yrs later folks tell me the coach looks nearly new. I bought the coach new in 2003.

Call the CDI manager Dave Nagle, 641-585 5901.

Plan a vacation to Iowa next Spring or Summer.

Good luck,
Bill
My experience with CDI was similar to Duner's. Repainted roof radius on 2006 Journey for $500- much cheaper than anywhere else I could find. Dave Nagle and his team were easy to work with and did all they promised to.
Good luck
JPO1980 is offline   Reply With Quote