Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2008, 11:56 AM   #1

I have a 04 Journey that has a problem with the clear coat peeling on the front cap right where it curves over at the top and the sides right where it curves over. It looks like they did not spray a good coat of clear. Kinda like when they sprayed the front and sides they let the over spray cover it. Has anyone had this problem are having it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2008, 11:56 AM   #2

I have a 04 Journey that has a problem with the clear coat peeling on the front cap right where it curves over at the top and the sides right where it curves over. It looks like they did not spray a good coat of clear. Kinda like when they sprayed the front and sides they let the over spray cover it. Has anyone had this problem are having it?

Old 01-09-2008, 12:32 PM   #3

Randy,
Is the peeling from the actual clear coat of the paint or is it the clear protective mask? You mentioned it is peeling on the front. Winnebago offers an option called a front exterior protective mask. It is basically a clear tape if you will, that covers the front end, protecting the paint from chips, dings, bugs, etc. If you purchased it new, your invoice/window sticker should list the mask under the "options installed by manufacturer". I would think that if it is in fact the mask that is peeling, it would be easier and cheaper to fix that than the actual clear coat paint repair. Good luck...
Old 01-09-2008, 12:41 PM   #4

I have an 04 meridian. Same problem. Winny says bring it to iowa and they will fix. I'm in MA, so not going to happen. Check your side radius panels also. Mine are peeling there too. I am just going to pay to have it repaired. But will be my LAST winnebago product purchase..
Old 01-09-2008, 03:33 PM   #5

Wow, you have a FOUR year old coach and Winnie was still willing to fix the problem? I hope your coach had a boat load more problems than that for you to have that opinion. Most RV manufactures would tell you to go pound sand.

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:59 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Randy

See a previous discussion here on irv2 at 2004 Journey Full Body Paint Peeling above Windshield
Old 01-09-2008, 06:11 PM   #7

I got to take in for hydralic problem again. I have that problem all the time and I will talk to them about my problem. If they can not do something, then when I go to GNR I will talk to them. This is my second time I had problem with paint.Thank you
Old 01-09-2008, 06:50 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">when I go to GNR I will talk to them </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Randy ... my clearcoat flaking is on my "GNR discussion list" also. This will be a good year to attend ...should be some good anniversary festivities.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:10 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cmaserv:
I have an 04 meridian. Same problem. Winny says bring it to iowa and they will fix. I'm in MA, so not going to happen. Check your side radius panels also. Mine are peeling there too. I am just going to pay to have it repaired. But will be my LAST winnebago product purchase.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's a 3M product applied to many different brands.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:18 AM   #10

Yes Paul, it should be a good GNR. I will be in section "E" I come in with Dick Brewster.Maybe they will fixs our coach. I done know how long the warranty is. But you really done know what they will do. As long as they don'nt drop my coach of the rack. Maybe we will meet.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:11 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It's a 3M product applied to many different brands. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Let's not get people confused. This discussion IS NOT ABOUT THE VINYL MASK on the front of the coach. (3M is one mfg, Diamond Shield is another).

This discussion is about the Clearcoat layer that is sprayed on top of the base color paint. It appears to be quite common for the Clearcoat layer to flake and peel along the sides of the roof cap above the awning rail, and also on the top of the front cap around the area of the clearance lamps and higher. See the earlier discussion at the link in my earlier comments for more history.

Randy -- we will be in the MilWIT rows near the center of the rally grounds.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:11 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
The company in Forest City that does Winneys painting will repaint your coach if it is one that did not have a proper clear coat on the cap and shoulders anywhere. They offered to repaint ours here in FL but we are going near FC in June so will have it painted there. Winnebago will give you the number and name of the man to talk to. My paperwork is back in PA or do a search on this site.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:40 AM   #13

I would like to thank all for the responce to my problem. I know now what to do. I can now get ready for my nexts problem hydralic. That will be coming up nexts. Thanks again
Old 01-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #14

Randy: Make one call to CDI Paint, Dave Nagle at 641-585-5900. His shop painted our coaches originally. I had the same problem and had it repainted in CA by a vender.

2000 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote