Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2017, 03:00 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to ed rzepka
Where is the paint flaking? I have a few though not as big as your flakes.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:11 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Last July paint was flaking off of the right rear propane barbecue access door. After coming back from Tampa RV Show paint flaked off the large rear cargo door. I also had one of the large hood brackets fall on the ground. Was held on by one little spot of glue.
Honwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:17 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to ed rzepka
Sounds like some of our horror stories.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:59 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honwing View Post
Our Vista 27N came with the latest Power Gear on the passenger Full wall Slide. it has the floating toothed track that the dealer said was the latest improvement. The other two smaller slides on the drivers slide are the old style. Camping World said there is no other replacement that would be better than what i have now. Anyone with a 27N and Full Body paint should be aware of the paint flaking off. Known problem at CDI in Forest City, the painter of the coach. Had paint repaired in Forest City last July and now in Midway, Florida. Winnebago denied my warranty claim saying they don't cover chips but CDI has stepped up at this time. I argued thst this was not a chip but 1" size flakes of paint coming off with a garden hose.
That's very disappointing about the paint, CDI hopefully will get you taken care of. Years ago, mid 2000s I think, Newmar was having a problem with de-lamination of their side walls on some coaches. There are frustrating periods for all makes at times. We're pulling for you that you will be made whole soon and enjoy your rig as intended.

So the new design is failing in your case regarding the slide mechanism...?...so far I've heard it's working well out there, as is mine, (so far). Well, keep us posted......

W.D.

2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511, Good Sam, Passport America.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
Has anyone else had a failure with the new Power Gear System on a large for full wall slide?
Our motor home has 3 slides. The large slide has the Power Gear System. The dealer replaced the gear racks and motors before we even took delivery. The dinette slide, also the new Power Gear System, started making noise after about 3000 miles and maybe 40 cycles. The dealer replaced the gear track and motors. The 3rd slide is a closet and uses the older type with fixed gear rails. We are hoping this will fix the issue.
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:04 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwasouth View Post
When shopping for a "New to us" coach we decided to look for a 2011 Itasca. They have the old Power Gear slide mechanism. They work great and reliable, once you replace the plastic wheels that support the slide. I purchased a 2011 Meridian after some searching. After arriving home, the first time opening the front large slide, with refrig. the support wheels broke in half. I had a set of 8 wheels made from aluminum and replaced all 4 on each side. That was 2 years and 15,000 miles ago and no more failures. (Dealers could not supply the plastic replacements for 10 days to 2 weeks, at a cost of $22.00 each plus shipping. Had the aluminum ones made overnight at a machine ship for $25.00 each) Everything runs smoother.
I love it. Get er done!.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:21 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

We had zero problems with out schwintek bedroom closet slide after 3 years and countless extend/retracts. Our slide is small, short and lightweight. Am told the schwintek issues are only with larger heavy slides. Our main living room slide has conventional gear driven rails underneath.
mileshuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:07 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
So you "cut your losses" and bought another MH using the same brand slide mechanism that has proven to be unreliable in the past?
Hmmm.....
Yes we did cut our losses... but did our homework to attempt to avoid duplicating our original problems. Our Tiffin coach has 4 slides, none of which are as large as the full wall slide on the Journey. Of the two slides with the Schwintec gear... one is the width of a king size bed width with roller support and minimal cantilever; the other slide supports a bath area and has additional supporting structure projecting underneath.

Also our coach has the "smartslides" which are the one-piece fiberglass units that appear to be structurally rigid, i.e., minimal flex.

Movin' on....
Old 04-09-2017, 10:17 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Just left Forest City on Friday afternoon after having the latest and greatest Power Gear equipment replaced on our Dining slide. They also repaired the Camping World install of new Power Gear equipment on the passenger Full Wall slide. The tech told me it is not equipment failure but more of a faulty installation problem. He said they have learned a lot at the factory from these failures and have a new and improved procedure. I can tell that my dining slide received these improvements by the amount of drill filings behind the drivers seat that they failed to clean up. A lot of filings. I have only operated both slides for three cycles so far but they are now very quiet and smooth. They also took the coach over to CDI and had the area below the windshield repainted. Third paint repair. Spoke with our Service Advisor about all the the issues we have had in the first ten months and he said all items of record would be covered for three years if the same item failed again. Still think we will look to trade our 2016 27N for a larger better quality coach when we get to Seattle. Will never buy new again. My mistake
Honwing is offline   Reply With Quote