RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
coach 50 amp shore power not converting to 20 amp at box

I am plugged into storage unit that is 20 amp, when I try to click down to 20 from my shoreline panel in coach it will not move from 50 amp. It worked a week ago before I left on a trip. I am using a surge protector and an adapter from a 50 to a 15. We were told at one point the box was a 15 but my double sided refrigerator worked anyway. What could cause this to not click down to 20? The microwave comes on when plugged in but my refrigerator will not stay on! My RV guy saiid it could be the heat (100) so ran the generator and air to coll but no such luck. I went back this morning at 76 degree and still not working...need help any suggestions!!

Savanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2017, 11:19 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Sorry your here with problems.
A couple of questions that may help others provide answers.
What year is your coach ?
Is the surge protector a factory install , or something you've added?
Make and model may help if it's an add on.
Your fridge requires 12 volts to operate , even when your plugged into shore power , you haven't turned the coach battery disconnect off by mistake , have you ?

Old 08-05-2017, 11:34 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry about that, it is a 2008 Itasca Sunrise, the surge protector I plug in at the box. I have not turned off the coach battery disconnect. The shore power panel usually shows 4 amp when plugged in at the storage unit and refrigerator has always worked?? Thanks for getting back so quickly. I am leaving tomorrow for my next trip and don't want to have to turn on the propane to start the refrigerator.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:40 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
50 amp not converting to 20 amp at box

I think it might be the refrigerator 15 amp circuit breaker in the coach. It's attached to the microwave 15 amp. It stays in the middle when the shore power is plugged in. Once I unplug It will move to the top with the rest of them.Is that something I can replace,it is a switch breaker? Also, my 50 amp cord is hot to the touch in some areas, is that normal? Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Old 08-05-2017, 02:58 PM   #5

If your turning the circuit breaker , fully off , and resetting it, then the C/B trips when you're on shore power . You need to disconnect the fridge at it's 110 volt plug in to re-try , if the C/B doesn't trip , with the fridge unplugged , my thought would be a shorted out heater ( s) in the 110 volt circuit, of the fridge.
Do you have your fridges owners manual ?
The manual should have a troubleshooting guide with info on testing the electric heating elements.
Is your fridge RV, ( propane /electric ) or residential ?
RV fridge the plug will be accessible through the lower outside vent.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:02 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
50 amp not converting to 20 amp

Hi, well someone suggested I try turning on the genny to see if the refrigerator would work. Unfortunately, the microwave,AC and refrigerator does not work now. Could it be the inverter? I was told there is a reset button and fuse but I don't know where that is located on my rig? I will also check both of my GFI receptacles. The ac and microwave worked yesterday when I tried the Genny but at that time only the refrigerator was tripping. Any thoughts?

Tags
power, shore power