Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2017, 07:54 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coach Heater not working

2003 Adventurer 35U - has anyone had to remove/replace/repair Coach Heater. It's the one that sits up and behind the HWH in the forward Basement compartment
Looking for DIY drawings/diagrams whatever. Any help would be appreciated!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2017, 07:55 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So your referencing a propane-fired furnace?

Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:32 PM   #3

Check out this writeup

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 05:24 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Please advise what you mean when you say "is not working".
Several years ago I had to perform the coach heater removal and replace just as described in the above referenced instructions. I used these instructions as my guide for this repair. Very well presented and detailed. A compliment to the forum member who put this together.

My suggestions:
1. Lift your dash up and check for a blown fuse which operates the coach heater blower. If it is blown, replace it and activate your toggle switch and see if it blows again. Toggle test both Low and High and see if there is a difference. (See below if fuse does not blow on one setting)

If you blow a fuse on each setting, you probably have a bird cage that has moved on the shaft and is now making contact with the housing which prevents it from rotating and, thus, creates a resistance which will blow your fuse.

Next, you can remove the heater duct vent cover from the floor, just behind the seats. Carefully, you can insert your arm into the duct and will be able to feel the birdcage. Manually rotate the cage and see if you can feel if it rubs against the housing....this will tell you if the cage has moved on the shaft. (a very common problem for this unit).

If so, I suggest that you follow the instructions and remove the heater unit and repair the heat exchanger by moving the cage back on the shaft so there is no contact with the housing.
Also, bench test both speeds so you are sure both Lo and Hi resistors are functioning. These are also replaceable. (If you didn't blow a fuse on one of the settings as you initially tested for a blown fuse, a resistor may be bad.....meaning no blown fuse = resistor not working, no current being sent to the motor to turn the cage).

Note: Replacing the heat exchanger is not a fun job and requires working in a small space using ALL of your dexterity.

I had a blown resistor as well as a cage that moved on the shaft, so I just ordered a new complete unit and had it ready to install when I removed the old one.

Let us know how the troubleshooting goes.
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:19 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is one vent in the middle if the coach just behind the seats. Also have anither floor vent laterally behind the passenger seat. I know they call this a rear heater and is located up and behind the HWH in the foward compartment on the passenger side. I'm I making sense at all?
Old 11-26-2017, 02:32 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
From what I know of my heat duct design, the center floor duct behind the seats is a "heat duct"....where the hot air will come out. (Confirm by running your propane heater). The "lateral" duct seems to be in position (just above the water tank compartment) to be the "cold air return" for the Coach Heater.
My cold air return for the Coach Heater is located on the floor, under a magazine rack on the wall just above the water heater compartment.

Again, please let us know how the troubleshooting goes.
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:05 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, from what I have seen and read up on this I believe our layouts are similar. My fuse is good. After I had reinstalled the HWH I started up the old girl as I had lost a half gal or so of antifreeze. After it warmed up I checked the operation of the Coach Heater. Prior use of this heater had been very limited. Well hot heat was pouring out of the floor vent - switched it to low and then back to high. Made a "bad" noise so I shut it down. Then began a new odyssey to learn this particular system. With help and assistance from people like you, I'm confident I will get this fixed. Found a couple of places on line to get replacements fir blower motor and swuirrel cage. Just a matter of finding "a round tuit" and proceeding. I'll let you know how it comes out. In southern Arizona thru April so I don't need to rush. Thx again for your input. 😎😎
Old 11-30-2017, 05:11 PM   #8

2016 Sightseer 33C furnace is not working.

I took it to my dealership and they removed the furnace and put it on a test stand. The circuit board and a limit switch is are not working correctly. They are putting it back together today.

Good Sams warranty will pay for everything except $250.00 deductible.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:24 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
For those that are confused, this is not the propane furnace. It is a heater with hot water provided by the chassis motor usually with one vent behind the driver passenger seats. Not much help here on servicing the OP's RV. I just wish they had put the output into the propane furnace vent system.

LEN
Old 12-01-2017, 08:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
I just wish they had put the output into the propane furnace vent system.
That is what is done on Class A models. Your Class C is different, as you know.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:47 AM   #11

I have the same project on my list of things to do. Pretty sure mine worked when I picked up the coach but now no air from duct. It was July in FL so didn't let it run long.

Thanks for the heads up on checking the fuses first although it seems that you have to pull the unit to repair either way.

I pulled the vent last night and used a camera and can't see the squirrel cage. If you are facing the windshield which direction is the squirrel cage? I did see the underfloor ducting going to the rest of the coach and it blows when the propane furnace is running. Mine is a 38R like the write up posted earlier.

Can you guys please post the links to the whole unit and the parts you found online? I can't spend any time on my knees even with pads. Ive repaired equipment for 30 years. I might have a repair facility pull the unit and Ill repair/replace the exchange and they can put it back. My husband isn't terribly mechanical and has a difficult time with cause and effect i.e. understanding what could rub, leak or not be in the right place.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:19 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coach heater and propane furnace use the same ducting. Both units have a trap door that opens when blower is activated.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:23 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a most helpful link earlier in this posting. Not an ezpeezee job fir sure ad hot water heater needs to be remived
Old 12-10-2017, 06:30 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
tks so much for this post I am blowing fuses on my unit and now I understand the problem as to why I'm blowing fuses sooo I am goin in to repair it ,,,Since Im 76 years old going in aint the problem it's crawling back out that gets kinda iffy..LOL

Tags
heat, heater