Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We have had 5 different MH's. This is our first Winnebago.
This is the coldest unit we have had so far. The drafts coming in under the sofa unbelieveable. Up the stairwell, around the windows. You shouldn't have to have your heat up to 78 and an electric heater running too.
It's 50 out.........not below freezing.
Even though this is less than a year old, we almost traded for another Winnebago. Now, I don't think I would consider it.

2007 Itasca Meridian DP
C&C R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We have had 5 different MH's. This is our first Winnebago.
This is the coldest unit we have had so far. The drafts coming in under the sofa unbelieveable. Up the stairwell, around the windows. You shouldn't have to have your heat up to 78 and an electric heater running too.
It's 50 out.........not below freezing.
Even though this is less than a year old, we almost traded for another Winnebago. Now, I don't think I would consider it.

2007 Itasca Meridian DP
Old 03-29-2008, 03:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have a Journey and the kitchen goes out with the slide. I found that all the water lines and drain pipes run down to the gray and black water bay. When I run my sewer hose out and shut the door the wind would come threw the opening that the hose goes threw and into the kitchen area. I got where I only put my hose out when it needs draining and then put it up.The electrical bay is the same way. There the only bays that are open to the inside. Leave one of those door open and it will get a blast of cold air.
Randy Chesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I don't have a DP but my 07 Suncruiser seems very tight - although i do notice a difference in the living area as opposed to the bedroom. Living area is cooler.

Have you checked with Winnebago on this?? To me that's not a good report on the Meridian.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:00 AM   #5

The Winnebago motorhomes are built for "moderate" temperatures. There is no such thing as a "Winter insulation package" as found on other higher end motorhomes.

Our next motorhome will have MUCH better insulation than our current Winnebago.....I gaurantee it!!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

You might want to do some looking to see if any insulation, barrier, gasket, seal or such has come dislodged, is missing or broken.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

While on my way back from Florida this winter I ran into that ice and snow storm in Ohio in early March. Stopped at a wallmart and the coach stayed toasty warm with the gas furnace. We didn't have the slides out either so maybe that makes a big difference.

It got down to the mid 40's in Nashville on the way down with the slides out I still didn't notice any drafts. I agree with gunny, look to see if there is a bad seal or broken insulation anywhere.
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Like some of the others, we've used our rig in some fairly cold weather (not extreme but below freezing and windy) and have found it to be pretty warm. Agree that the front living area is cooler due to the windshield. We run a small electric space heater in the front if it is really cold.

One of the forum members added some insulation to the underside of the LR slide. I would also check all your slide seals, compartments, etc. to make sure you are not getting drafts due to something out of place.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:37 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

On my unit, the insulation at the back of the gas heater has been dislodged. This allowed the fan to suck in cold (and dirty) air from the outside. Worth a look.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We are now in PA at a campground close to the turnpike. Have camped here for years. This time with this unit, it sounds like we have a window open. Can't find where any kind of open space could be. Almost sounds like it's coming from the ceiling. Weird.
Rainy today, so we will have to check this out tomorrow. Froze coming up from Virginia.
Yes, windows closed and locked.

2007 Itasca Meridian DP
Old 03-31-2008, 01:41 PM   #11

We also use those "vent cushions" in the roof vents...those seem to help out with the heat/cold loss. The vents aren't exactly insulated!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:34 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

When I lived in Maine, we used to hold a candle to find drafts in the old houses. If you have an assistant, try the same thing when you're driving down the road. Then do whatever it takes to block the leaks. Most folks have pretty good luck with the pink insulation, spray-in foam, and wood boards (to seal major openings).

Motorhomes, in particular, are not usually designed for really cold weather. That being said, you'll have a much better rig after you tighten things up. The best motorhomes are the ones that are owner-improved.

Jack
Old 04-01-2008, 04:47 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
We also use those "vent cushions" in the roof vents...those seem to help out with the heat/cold loss. The vents aren't exactly insulated! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In all truth the Fantastic Vent Fan used by Winnebago is a special order unit with a double insulated lid that is not available from other manufacturers. I have personally replaced these lids when damaged by tree branches etc on both Winnebago and others and the Winnebago provided vent lid has always been vastly superior to the others as far as insulation properties and rigidity. My experience is limited to the early nineties to 2002 but the last time I checked it seemed that these were still the vents used on all the new Winnebago coaches that I have looked at.

The replacement Winnebago Specific Insulated Lids are still free including standard shipping from Fantastic.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:35 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I was surprised that this unit didn't come with a fantastic fan. We have an elcheapo in the kitchen.

2007 Itasca Meridian DP
Old 04-02-2008, 02:14 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Don't you have
1) a Fantastic Fan in the ceiling of your Meridian in the galley area that vents through your roof?

2) an exhaust fan associated with your microwave oven over the cooking range that vents out through the side wall?
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote