Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Cold weather condensation - how much water?

Background: New 2012 Adventurer 35P. Parked last two weeks. Weather has been yoyoing here in SW Mich. On some days, highs to mid 60s and then nights down to 30s (frosty). No torrential rains that I can remember in the same timeframe. Front driver corner of unit points toward NW while parked.

I drove the unit today and on my first left turn, a bunch of water come flowing out the the trapezoid window channel. This is the window above the driver's door. Anyways. I get to RV wash guy and we run the water hose from the top, at it, from the front, and from the rear of that window area and I do not see any water weepage.

The unit has sat at the dealership for several months and there were torrential rains during that time. I did not notice any water during PDI.

When we store the unit, we close all the window shades. This unit comes with suede like curtains which is drawn across the driver door/window area and the bottom right corner snaps in place. Being that wdo faces towards west, and would get afternoon sunlit heat, and with sudden drop in temps when the sun goes down, I am theorizing that I get condensation on the inside of this single pane glass. Enough so that during the last 2 weeks, it began to fill up the channel with water.

Has anyone else experienced this? Our previous MH had the pleated shades and it did not "seal" against the window as good as the current MH. The passenger side is fine. I'll watch this closely during the next week before putting MH into covered storage for the winter... so if I have a problem, I would like to have the warranty work done it.

Sorry about this long message... just wondering if I have a leaking problem...
Old 11-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

No leak just frost melt from single pane window.
Water in lower window channels would drain to outside of MH through the drainage slots in window frame.
Not sure what you can do for that upper window unless you tape a towel to window frame so water runs off into it and towel will dry from day sun.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

FRost? I didn't think that I would have frost... but I guess frozen condensation would become frost... I'll test this week... suppose to have some rain...so I'll check the unit everyday... hoping I don't have leaks... but have some weird atmospheric condition inside the MH :-()
Old 11-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

With all your vents and windows closed just your warm breath will create condensation on single pane windows and if cold enough it will freeze on single pane windows.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Update. It's been relatively warm... rained today. Went to look at window. BAD NEWS. I have lots of water in the bottom of window. So I have a leak... Hoping dealer can find it to fix it. Probably need to remove and re-install the window... ahhh the joy of working thru the kinks of a new RV :-(
so far, it seems the other items are working properly...
Old 11-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandHo View Post
Update. It's been relatively warm... rained today. Went to look at window. BAD NEWS. I have lots of water in the bottom of window. So I have a leak... Hoping dealer can find it to fix it. Probably need to remove and re-install the window... ahhh the joy of working thru the kinks of a new RV :-(
Check the roof where it rounds over the roof to side and meets the front cap edge. Ours leaked the same way when new. Ours appeared to have been caulked at the factory when the roof was covered with dust and dirt the caulk did not bond. In fact our passenger side in this area the caulk was just laying on the dust and dirt, I just peeled the caulk off. On the drivers side the caulk was partly bonded, but scraped off easily with a putty knife. Cleaned the surface and recaulked, no leak since.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have water leakage on my 2011 Suncruiser. The water leaks come down the valances above the driver & passenger seats. It also leaks right above the defroster outlets. All the sealant looks good & my dealer said the marker lights were leaking. I have my doubts as I checked the marker lights from the inside & they are coated with fiberglass. The leaks are both static & while driving down the highway in a heavy rain.

I haven't had the opportunity to leak check them yet. I ran hose water over them with no leaks so hopefully they fixed it. I have concerns. We will see.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
We have a Suncruiser which the Itasca equivalent to your coach. Finally after 8000 miles this have started to stop falling off & breaking. Not to impressed with Winny's quality so far. Elec. transfer box problems, intermittent hot water heating, drivers slide making a screeching noise, ceiling fan clicking, chaise A/C in defroster mode when vents were selected. Coach spent 5 weeks at dealer to fix everything, they said parts were the hold up.

If it hadn't been for 2 great trips I may have begun to regret this purchase. Jury still out. Cheers.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

it seems that a hard spray from a water hose nozzle may not be the right test. I think flowing water down from the roof (like raining) may be the proper test. I will look at the roof/front cap/side area. When I was on the roof, that area looked thin to me... I hate water leaks, they are so much more difficult to locate. Almost as difficult as a bad ground problem...
Old 11-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
it seems that a hard spray from a water hose nozzle may not be the right test. I think flowing water down from the roof (like raining) may be the proper test. I will look at the roof/front cap/side area. When I was on the roof, that area looked thin to me... I hate water leaks, they are so much more difficult to locate. Almost as difficult as a bad ground problem...
There is a tester that applies a positive pressure inside the coach & a leak check liquid is applied to the exterior seals. I'm not sure how many RV dealers use this.

http://www.rvleakfinders.com/About-Us.html
Old 11-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

The front cap Marker lights is also be a common source.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:09 AM   #12
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Its a 2012 don't fool with it yourself get it back to the dealer and keep all the paperwork ref the leak in case something goes bad with the structure in the future.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

yep, it's going to dealer next week... just thought I would take a look to "advance" their diagnostic time frame...I am usually curious...
Old 11-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

could be leaking 30 feet away from entry point....
Old 11-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

The windows, on my 1990, get very little condensation- and it's been going down into the high 20's at night, mid 40's during the day.

However, I did find a very small leak (a couple of drops) and thought that it was from the marker light- right where I saw the water. It wasn't. It was where the cap met the windsheild, on the other side of the coach. Weird how it traveled!

Sheila
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Leak found by dealer. long window above the door. Seal between glass and frame is leaking. Now waiting for replacement part from Winnie.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Replacement window installed. New one leaks too. Back to the drawing board. During leak test, the small window beneath this one leaks too. So now, I have 2 leaking windows.

Tags
water