Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Heartland RV Club
Question Cold weather troubles water heater tank..

I was passing through southern Idaho a couple of weeks ago and it got down to 28 degrees. I dropped the water from the coach but failed to drain the water heater. When I hooked up to city water today water came out of the bottom of the water heater, my question is has any one replaced there water heater tank, is that something I can do or do I need to take it in? I have a maintenance plan but I don't think it will cover my own stupidity......any advise other than pull the plug next time thanks
zagguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2011, 11:08 PM   #2

28 degrees for a few hours overnight should not have caused your tank to burst. I think that you need to do some more troubleshooting before you decide to replace it.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:59 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagguy View Post
I was passing through southern Idaho a couple of weeks ago and it got down to 28 degrees. I dropped the water from the coach but failed to drain the water heater. When I hooked up to city water today water came out of the bottom of the water heater, my question is has any one replaced there water heater tank, is that something I can do or do I need to take it in? I have a maintenance plan but I don't think it will cover my own stupidity......any advise other than pull the plug next time thanks
If you are living in the motor home in 28 degree weather, there is no need to winterize. Should be safe down to about 15 degrees or more if you have the heat on. I would be surprised if your tank burst at 29 degrees.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, tank, water