Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

compartment light switch

The push-button switch controlling the compartment light has failed. Does anyone know where to get a replacement?
thanks

jim
04 Winnebago Journey, C7, 34H
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hi Jim,

Any Winne dealer should stock these switches. I’ve not seen switches like these used anywhere else so they may be your only source. But, before you spend the money, and if your handy with a screwdriver and a pair of needle nose pliers, you might try disassembling the old one to see if you can clean the contacts. It’s fairly easy to do and you will probably find a charred nubbin that is nonconductive on one of the contacts. Just scrape it off with a pin knife down to bare metal and then reassemble switch and you should be back in business. Keep us posted.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Mr. Transistor,
opened the switch can as you suggested and several pieces of broken metal and a black insulating piece fell out. The broken metal prevents reassembly. Will look for Winnebago dealer as you suggest.
Thanks for help.

jim
Old 11-20-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Parts

These people should have what you need and they are also a sponsor of this site.
Lichtsinn Motors Forest City, Iowa RV Dealer - Winnebago and Itasca Motorhome Sales
Old 11-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

If this is a comon push button, The kind that mounts in a single hole about 1/4 or 3/8 inch in diamater and is held in by a curled nut

ANY HARDWARE will have one

Now the one in the hardware store is usually 10 amps at 125 or 250 volts... but when you buy a switch remember the amp and volts ratings are MAXIMUM .. a 120 volt switch will work just fine at 12 volt. and a 10 amp switch can control a 5 amp load, No problem.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I recently saw a post where people said they picked up a door switch for a car that controls the interior lights at an autoparts store. It was apparently a good fit. What you need electrically, is a momentary, normally closed single pole switch. 3 amps or greater rating should be fine as it only controls a single 18 watt light bulb.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

If you have a NAPA store nearby, they stock them. It is an Echlin item. I always keep an extra handy.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks all for the helpful information. The compartment switches look like the attached figures. I tried a few auto parts and hardware stores because I thought these might be common items but could not find them. I had to resort to the Winnebago parts catalog. This was confusing. Although the image looks like item (A), this is the step switch. The compartment switch is listed as:

041250-01-000 "Switch-Push Button-Door Jamb Metal/chrome

for all of you who may be interested in the outcome.
I ordered the part from Winnebago Parts at 800-933-7742 for $8.50
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	push button.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1864  
Old 11-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks SMLRANGER,
I saw your response too late, but Napa Auto Parts would have been a good choice for me before I placed my order.

Many thanks to all.
jim & Debbie and 2 cocker spaniels
04 Winnebago Journey
Old 11-21-2009, 04:03 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Hi Guys,

I’m curious to know what the NAPA part number is for this switch. I have a spare in case I ever have one that is busted the way Jim’s was. I bought it somewhere back east but if they are available from NAPA, we have a big distribution center down on 2nd St. and it really doesn’t hurt to have two spares! Let us all know what you come up with, or maybe smlranger still has the number in his little black book.