Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2017, 08:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Considering a Winnebago Vista LX 35B

Hey all,

I am new to this community but if all goes well over the next couple of weeks I will most likely become a regular member as my family and I will begin a year long RV trip across the country in June! We have been planning this for over three years and are now to the point where it is time to pick and purchase the RV. We are strongly considering purchasing a 2017 Vista LX 35B to be our home for this adventure. We love the bunks (2 children) and the 1.5 baths and we have actually test driven two and are really impressed with them to this point. We believe we are getting a fair price and when compared to other units in this class, it seems to have the most bang for it's buck.

HOWEVER, I will be the first to admit, we are new to the motorhome world and recognize that there is so much we don't know! I would love to know if anyone out there has any experience with the Vista LX 35B and would be willing to share their thoughts about it? I would sincerely appreciate any and all information, advice, tips, data, etc.

Thank you in advance!
UB
UtahBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2013 35b that we bought new and use it year round with my wife and i, 4 kids and 3 large boxer dogs. I really like it and it fits our needs well. We have not had any major problems, just some minor issues that were covered under warranty and a few out of warranty. My main complaint is since we use it year round, it is a full time job keeping the pipes from freezing. Winnebago could have done a better job insulating and heating the compartments.
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

motohomo, good point about the freezing. My son has a 2016 35F and I noticed there is nothing protecting the water pump area, it's just a fiberglass box hanging in the back in the open. He has asked me several times why our Adventure cost so much more than his Vista XL. I just say bell and whistles but sometimes some of those bells are important if you are going to use your coach in cold weather.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by motohomo View Post
We have a 2013 35b that we bought new and use it year round with my wife and i, 4 kids and 3 large boxer dogs. I really like it and it fits our needs well. We have not had any major problems, just some minor issues that were covered under warranty and a few out of warranty. My main complaint is since we use it year round, it is a full time job keeping the pipes from freezing. Winnebago could have done a better job insulating and heating the compartments.
Thanks for the input motohomo, the four of us will be using it year round as well starting in June and will undoubtedly hit some cold weather along the way. Have you learned any tricks to remedy this issue? Is it is sample as insulating the compartment or have you found that more needs to be done?
Old 01-10-2017, 05:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

i have a 2015 Vista 35F. Recommendation... drive around in it before taking the long trip to get used the drive and sway if you have not driven an RV before. Its a blast to drive when comfortable with it on the road. We've had ours in temperatures ranging from a low of 28 in Ohio to high's near 100 at Disney World with no issues.
There is a lot of road noise on the interstate especially in mountains. My wife and i plan to upgrade to a diesel pusher in the next few years and leaning to a Newmar, Winnebago or Tiffin.....natural progression.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks OS, the advice is appreciated. We are actually going to take out on a couple of spring trial runs before we depart in the summer. Hopefully we will get a good feel for it before we actually live in it.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2013 35B and love it. Use it 3 seasons here in NY. Like motohomo just some minor issues. Two things I did to make it more enjoyable. Added a rear track bar which improved the handling incredibly in windy situations and put a 5 star tuner for the engine. With the new LX and the 6 speed transmission you might be able to get away without that compared to the 5 speeds. Agree that you should take a few trial runs first before going on your long journey. Bring a notepad and write down what you forgot! Sometimes things like an awning shade extender is well worth it on those hot sunny days. But most of all enjoy they are a fun coach!!!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Utahbolt, I have inserted an electric blanket in the rear driver and passanger side compartment, i run small heaters in those bays and in the freshwater bay when it gets below 25 and have remote temp monitors that i constantly keep an eye on. Even with these precautions, the fresh water froze 2x when it got down near zero. Only busted a fitting under the rear bathroom sink so far. Lucky i was nearby, because it was shooting water under the sink and would have flooded the place if i didnt shut it off. Most people winterize and this is not an issue. I choose to put myself in this situation for some crazy reason. Good luck and enjoy.
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:10 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBolt View Post
Thanks for the input motohomo, the four of us will be using it year round as well starting in June and will undoubtedly hit some cold weather along the way. Have you learned any tricks to remedy this issue? Is it is sample as insulating the compartment or have you found that more needs to be done?
We love our 35F with the bath & 1/2 and it has a ton of storage inside & in the basement. However, it's just of the 2 of us. Having 2 kids in tow and all their stuff...well I'm sure you'll make do. The kids will have to learn to pair back some just as you will.
During our months of searching for a used MH and then finding this gas rig which was to good to pass up, we heard all the arguments of noisey cab area, being pushed around on the highways by 18 wheelers etc. We experience none of this. Our MH is very easy to drive and it's quiet. Had a few squeaks & rattles of some things inside, but I found all those and fixed them. Concerning driving, the only thing that you have to watch constantly—and it will become like breathing the more you drive—is to watch your tail swing as you turn or when you pull out of being parked next to a curb, gas station etc. There are a few really good video's on YT that show & explain this & I highly recommend watching them if you haven't already.

I highly doubt a couple of "short spring trips" will be enough for you to get to know the rig, get it setup with everything you need, working out bugs etc. IMHO it will take probably 4-6 months and probably a minimum of 6 trips or so to figure out all what you'll need, how to operate, constantly making & editing your list of "Oh, don't to forget to get XYZ and remember to buy this or that". On the top of your list should be a TPMS since you'll be constantly traveling and I would also high recommend Coach-Net for nationwide roadside assistance. They are the best.

Here's how I addressed the possible freezing temps that could affect the wet bay. See Post# 9 here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/froz...ml#post3381222
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:29 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
motohomo, good point about the freezing. My son has a 2016 35F and I noticed there is nothing protecting the water pump area, it's just a fiberglass box hanging in the back in the open. He has asked me several times why our Adventure cost so much more than his Vista XL. I just say bell and whistles but sometimes some of those bells are important if you are going to use your coach in cold weather.
We bought a 35F because it was too good of a deal to pass up. We really like it and are quite happy with the purchase. That being said however insulation is not it's strong point if that is a big concern. We have seen overnight temps drop into the 20s briefly at night in Arizona, and I worry about the water bay, but no problems so far. If its cold, or hot, the heater or A/C, runs a lot to keep the desired temp. I would not want to live in it for an extended period in true winter weather.
partskenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:52 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Good choice. We are in our first Mh after years of trailering and love it. A couple of things: turn your water off at the faucet whenever you leave the MH(especially in cold weather); get some heat tape(just to have it) and get an incandescent light bulb on an extension cord and put it in the bay in question(these throw a lot of heat).

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:01 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all for your input! That is some great advice that will no doubt help our growing pains and it is appreciated!

I found out that unit we are making an offer on does not have an inverter. Who knew? I thought it was standard on the 35B but apparently not (WTH Winnebago?). So I need to write an inverter into the offer. Question for the electrically inclined, is a 2000 watt inverter too big for the 2 group 24 batteries that come standard and if so what is the right battery set up to handle it? A 1000 watt inverter just seems somewhat small for our needs, I plan on adding at least a 160W portable solar kit as well.

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2017, 05:06 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBolt View Post
Thank you all for your input! That is some great advice that will no doubt help our growing pains and it is appreciated!

I found out that unit we are making an offer on does not have an inverter. Who knew? I thought it was standard on the 35B but apparently not (WTH Winnebago?). So I need to write an inverter into the offer. Question for the electrically inclined, is a 2000 watt inverter too big for the 2 group 24 batteries that come standard and if so what is the right battery set up to handle it? A 1000 watt inverter just seems somewhat small for our needs, I plan on adding at least a 160W portable solar kit as well.

Thanks!
Well I'm certainly not electrically inclined, it's not my strong suit, mechanics is. That being said, our 35F came standard with a 1000 watt inverter and we have NOT found it to be wanting for our needs. However, I've changed all bulbs to LED's and we do not boondock much. We're usually hooked up to shore power so we usually always have plenty of power. I also have all brand new batteries and maintain them well, so even if I need that kind of power for awhile it's suits us fine. From what I've read here on this forum 2000 watts would certainly be better and if you adding solar...that can be tricky if not installed right. That's a whole different ball game to keep your batteries charged properly. I think others will advise you to have the factory pre-wired for solar BUT have the actual solar system installed by a 3rd party after market company that specializes in these systems. These systems really need to be thought out thoroughly and installed with deliberate goals in mind in order to deliver the power you'll need and to meet your expectations. If you're not going to be boon docking much having a solar system will be hard to justify cost wise. That's my understanding anyway. Let's see what others say.
Here's a starter link that I think will prove to be helpful:
https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/
You might also want to post this solar question here in this "Going Green" forum:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f56/

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post above is, our 35F has 2 black tanks. One for the 1/2 bath (small) and one for the full bath (large). I think you'll have something similar. Anyway,, neither one of ours has a black tank back wash. I wish they did. I've developed another method to accomplish the same function but is a little more hassle. If you can, order a back wash for both tanks. It will make your life a whole lot easier when flushing out those tanks.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:58 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I have a 2015 27N and it has "good bones" in terms of the chassis, interior furnishings, main bed mattress, and the basic systems. Very servicable, is well documented and parts are available for well over 10 years after coaches are built. Have not had any failures of systems in 18 months and 20,000 miles of use. As was noted, the basement of the Vista LX line is not well insulated, only the floors of the basement compartments are insulated, all the back walls and front/rear side walls of them are not. Also the bottom halfs of the black/grey and water/power compartments are plastic rotocast and have no insulation. There are some wiring openings into basement compartments from below the coach that not sealed air tight. The stepwell is not insulated on sides or under steps below the floor. All that put together, means you can't make this into a 4 season RV without doing a lot of work after purchase. This impacts both air conditioning performance and heating performance.

Another problem is the Vista LX passenger side basement compartments get water intrusion, I have been fighting this and have spent many hours labor resolving it, not properly waterproofing the basement compartments where they join the sidewalls and floor of the RV may not still be a manufacturing problem but it was when my 2015 was built.

I have spent several thousand dollars and dozens of hours of labor on upgrades to make it my own:

- Cheap Handling Fix
- Safe-T-Steer
- AirTabs (another handling fix and slightly improves fuel economy)
- Crossfire rear dual tire pressure equalizers
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Upgraded 1000 Watt Inverter to 2000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter
- Tied larger inverter into all user outlets in RV and to microwave
- Replaced all the Fantastic Fans (noisy bearings and ceiling controls only)
with MaxxAir (quiet bearings) with remote controls
- Replaced the junk one speed ceiling control bath fan with MaxxAir
- Installed 400 Watt Solar System
- Added 200 Amp-hours additional storage battery capacity
- Upgraded from 45 Amp to 100 Amp Converter Charger
- Added rigid foam insulation to underside of coach to backs / sides
of basement compartments
- Added rigid foam insulation around the black / grey drain compartment
- Added rigid foam insulation around the water / power compartment
- Added rigid foam insulation around step well to the extent possible
- Properly sealed all the marker lights above winshield
common problem for Winnebagos is water intrusion around / thru these

Bottom line - it can be a great RV at a great price point if you are inclined to make a bunch of changes post purchase.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:15 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

In regards to low overnight temps and lack of insulation in the water pump bay, I used a clamp light w/ 65 watt incandescent bulb to help keep the bay above freezing. Plan to use some styrofoam board to better insulate that bay.
TexasProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:14 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

In regards to the black water tanks, our 2016 did come with flushes on both tanks.
partskenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:47 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by partskenn View Post
In regards to the black water tanks, our 2016 did come with flushes on both tanks.

Our 2015 35F came with flushes on both tanks as well. The half bath tank is not the best design. We take ice from the ice maker, put ii in the half bath tank upon adding some fresh water and bios to agitate the the water when driving. It seems to keep it cleaner.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:15 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Thank you everyone for all of the responses, advice and information! Looks like we are moving forward with the purchase and should have it all wrapped up next week. Exciting and scary at the same time!

I have the opportunity to write in some extras in to the final offer and I am seriously considered adding a suspension package (sway bar, steering stabilizer and trac bar). My dealer supports the Blue Ox and/or the Roadmaster brands, among others. Anyone have any insight into this?
Old 02-15-2017, 10:53 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Well, we pulled the trigger last weekend. We are now the proud of owners of a 2017 Vista LX 35B!

We took out for a day trip and of course had a minor problem with it on our first outing. We could't get the drivers side front jack up when it was time to go. I noticed there was quite a bit of hydra fluid on the ground and in the plate/shoe of the jack but could not see any leaks until we tried the jack again and actually saw some of the fluid spray out. We remedied it by putting all the jacks back down and then raising them together again and that worked for now but it will be back to the dealer for me. Yay for warranties!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170211_170002.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	151968   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170211_170107.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	151969  

Old 02-15-2017, 01:45 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Our 15 35F had the same hydraulic jack issue, but on the rear. It was a warranty replacement.
gmccash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago