RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2019, 12:11 PM   #1

Converter for trailer lights

2013 Itasca Reyo

In trouble shooting my Tow Mate light bar, I discovered that my trailer connection isn't providing power for brake or turn signal lights.

Has anyone replaced theirs in any WB or even better in one of the MB Sprinter chassis models? Mine is not located in the rear of the coach and traced the wires to driver side front area but haven't pulled any panels inside to search further.

TIA,
Ken H

pdeinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2019, 07:11 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ken,
Not sure what you're asking. But if you need to convert separate brake and turn-signal voltages to that of a single signal, Walmart (and Camping stores, of course) sells such a converter.

Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:24 AM   #3

This thread may give you some info, https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=75373. There are more threads on the subject if you do a site advanced search. When I added LED lights to my Unity cargo carrier I had to use a Curt adapter, https://www.amazon.com/57003-7-Way-B.../dp/B00AFVOF3M. Mercedes has a Canbus system that looks for a trailer connection before it sends power to the trailer plug. Led bulbs don't work well with Mercedes Canbus system, they draw such low power that the system won't recognize a connection, which is why you don't see power at pin #3, 5, Center, and 6. Fuse #14 and #15 in the driver seat base fuse box provide the 12v+ tow pin #4 connector and power to the trailer light module.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:26 AM   #4

The question isn't about what is it or where to buy one but where are they located in WB coaches and more specifically in a Sprinter based version? And is it a generic aftermarket item or in this case a Mercedes Benz product. Are they a plugin version or hard wired...all questions someone who has dealt with a problem with theirs can answer.

I can tell you where they're located in a Tundra, an FJ Cruiser and a Ford Ranger and was hoping someone would have similar information for my WB Reyo RV.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTraveler View Post
This thread may give you some info, https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=75373. There are more threads on the subject if you do a site advanced search. When I added LED lights to my Unity cargo carrier I had to use a Curt adapter, https://www.amazon.com/57003-7-Way-B.../dp/B00AFVOF3M. Mercedes has a Canbus system that looks for a trailer connection before it sends power to the trailer plug. Led bulbs don't work well with Mercedes Canbus system, they draw such low power that the system won't recognize a connection, which is why you don't see power at pin #3, 5, Center, and 6. Fuse #14 and #15 in the driver seat base fuse box provide the 12v+ tow pin #4 connector and power to the trailer light module.
That is very helpful, thanks! And that may explain why my wife said that she didn't notice our golf cart trailer lights not working the one time she followed me as they are most likely incandescent bulbs!

Tags
converter, light, lights, trailer