Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2019, 05:15 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Converter problem

Lights start blinking when converter cooling fan start up.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2019, 08:32 AM   #2

Have you checked the output voltage when the lights are flickering? Are your batteries good, and fully charged?
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:55 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do your 12v lights work properly BEFORE the converter's fan begins running? If they do then I would (1) Check house battery voltage and converter voltage going out while the lights are working properly; (2) Once converter fan kicks in, check house battery voltage and converter output voltage. They should be the same as when lights are working properly. If lower, which is what I would suspect the problem would be within the converter. Could be a bad fan or more likely a loose connection at the fan that is causing it to draw more voltage than normal.

There are some other potential problems but I think this is the easiest to check.

Best wishes - Richard
Old 02-19-2019, 09:08 AM   #4

Check the 120V AC Voltage......

Converter fan should be 120V AC

Also check the converter 12V DC Output
Disconnect the battery POS cable on DC Dist Panel and then measure Converter DC Output...should be 13.2V DC Minimum
IF lower...converter is failing
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:33 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Once the converter fan comes up to speed the lights stop blinking and works fine, no more dimming.

Would a dirty fan cause the problem. A quick look at the converter looks awfully dirty and dusty. Can't see any loos wires or connections on the outside of converter.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 02-22-2019, 05:24 PM   #6

Dirt means heat problems are comming.

I would strongly recommend disconnecting and cleaning all the accumulated dust and dirt out. Stay away from any condensers or capacitor as they retain voltage, sometimes for years, while disconnected from power.

You might be able to use canned air and a vacuum cleaner if there is not a buildup of oily residue.

If the fan continues to be sluggish on starting up, I would try to have it replaced. No use burning up a good device for want of cooling air.

Good luck
MartinGale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:22 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's under the range and looks like it would have to be removed to get to the converter. I don't think I fell like removing the range so I will probably have to take it some place to have it removed. I cleaned the outside and the fan opening, but it will probable have to be removed.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 02-25-2019, 07:22 PM   #8

Preventive Measures are Cheaper

If that is what you need to do, I would probably pay to have it done. Of course, I love a challenge, which is why I am trying to rescue my charger/inverter. I have been charging all 5 of my batteries with a 15amp smart charger. I manage to get 1 a day topped off. Tomorrow, I am going to try tomremove the Freedom C/I and check the internal fuses.

Good luck with yours.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:25 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
After cleaning the converter and spraying some WD40 around the fan, so far the converter only blinks once when the fan starts. No more blinking for several seconds after starting up.

Hope it stays that way

Thanks,

Ron
Old 03-12-2019, 12:28 AM   #10

Inverter Removal Might Be Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Dee View Post
It's under the range and looks like it would have to be removed to get to the converter. I don't think I fell like removing the range so I will probably have to take it some place to have it removed. I cleaned the outside and the fan opening, but it will probable have to be removed.

Thanks,

Ron
I just removed my inverter from my 2002 Journey DL. Mine is in the drivers side back bay. I struggled to get the screws out from between the sidewall and the inverter. That was totally unnecessary. The two screws on the near side were easily accessible. The unit was actually free at that point. The lip of the side foot just slides under a rail lip. If I had been able to see or feel, it would have been a snap. Fans are cheap and relatively easy to install. The WD40 will probably not resolve the problem. You can be sure when it fails, it will be when you are needing the converter.

If you do choose to service the converter, disconnect batteries and shore power. Turn off all circuit breakers and as I said before, stay away from the capacitors.

Since a converter will cost around a grand, if it was me, I would replace the $10-20 fan.

Happy travels.

Martin
Old 03-12-2019, 07:01 AM   #11

a new converter costs around a grand????

it wouldn't hurt to pull the converter, take the case off, and clean the entire inside.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:53 AM   #12

There is some confusion on this post about converter/chargers ( cheap ) and Inverter/chargers ( expensive ).

They both have cooling fans.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:14 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
The reason the fan comes on is because the load has increased, more devices switched on or a furnace fan or something automatic coming on line. Perhaps that device is presenting an unusual load due to a poor ground connection, bad bearing or whatever.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:25 PM   #14

Replacing Converter

Sorry. My mind was reading inverter and typing converter. A replacement converter is usually less than $500 and typically in the $150 to $250 range to purchase. The installation can vary from easy to nightmare depending on similarities and differences in the physical and electrical layout.

Since you have cleaned the fan and the problem persists, I would turn off all power, switch off all breakers, disconnect batteries with whatever method is available.

Now comes the easy part. Get a bright flashlight and tighten all the screws that connect the wires. Carefully look at any wirenuts and make certain they are tight. I prefer to wrap wirenuts with rubberized tape pulling in the direction to keep them tight. If you find any screws that turn a quarter turn easily, it was a likely problem. You can also open the breaker panel and remove and reseat the breakers. If any are loose removing and reinstalling, look at the connections. If there is discoloration replace the breaker. If it is just loose, it is your call as to replacing for peace of mind or not.

Good luck.

Tags
converter, problem