Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Ooops! Maybe I shoulda started in this section rather than in the "Problems . . ." section. The crack is getting longer and wider along he edge where the extension is attached. I suspect the piano hinge screws may be set too deep. We have NOT overloaded the extension and don't even USE it now that the crack has developed. Anyone with this problem AND the solution? Thanks!
groundpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

-
There are many helpful people on this forum. However, without knowing what coach you have, it makes it a tad bit more difficult! You might want to change your signature on the bottom of your personal profile to show your year and model of coach...and any other pertinent info. Just an FYI.

We had a crack in our countertop along the back of the kitchen sink in our '04 Suncruiser. Luckily, we had it fixed under warranty. Ours wasn't Corian, however.

Rose
Old 02-28-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

We had a counter top crack from the intense cold up north one winter many years ago. Fortunately what cracked as the wing that is attached by a piano hinge. Getting a new wing and fixing it was pretty easy.

Fortunately for us it doesn't get that cold down here.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I suggest that you call tec support, they will tell you which counter top you have as they don't usually use Corian, just a top that looks like it. They can also tell you how or where to get it fixed. One of my friends used a kit to fill in a chip then sanded and buffed it out.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
groundpilot
You did not indicate the year and model coach you have. My 2000 adventurer has a cracked counter top and a seperated edge. The counter top is not Corian. It is vendura. There have been several blogs on this subject and thhey mentioned that Winnie did use Vendura for thier counter tops for my particular coach.I called Vendura (http://www.vendura.com/project-galle...creational.php) and after looking up the countertop in the winnie online catalog for my particular coach I ordered a repair kit. The Vendura kit comes in two containers ( one is the color and the other is the goop that will harden the stuff...so I think). I am in the process now of looking at local corian countertop makers to see if they will do the repairs. If I am not satisfied with thier answers I can drive the coach to Madison Wisconsin and have the Vendura people make the repairs.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

In his profile it says the coach is a "1905" Adventurer 38J. I believe he means a 2005.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

When I called the rep at Winnebago he was able to tell me about the counter top for my vintage coach. He may have mentioned as to when or if they switched to Corian, but as I am a codger type guy...I cant remember. However a call to the Winnebago people with a VIN # in hand will get the needed information. Life is good................
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
Old 03-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

An update on my countertop repair.

I took the coach today to a business that makes countertops. They specialize in Corian, Laminate , and Granit tops. When I stopped by to see them a few days ago he said he could make the repairs. I had the repair kit from Vendura ($29.50) but he said that they had corian stuff that would match and that no mixing would be necessary as the Corian stuff came in one tube. I brought the coach in and sat there and watched for the 3 hours it took him to make the repairs. The time would have been less but the outside edge that had seperated from the flat top completly broke off. It seemes that the Vendura tops are only 1/4 inch thick and that the outside edge has no backing between itself and the particle board. There is a small gap between the particle board (or whatever the material is) and the outside edge of the counter top. If any undue pressure is put on it it will tend to seperate and eventually break away. The guy re- glued everything and also installed a wood backer to fill the gap between the top edge and the patricle board edge. After the glue had set he lightly sanded the top with 150 grit sandpaper using a random orbit sander and hand sanding in the smaller areas. He then buffeed the top using scotch bright and water (orbital sander for most and hand for the hard to reach places).The finished job looks great. I probably overpaid for the job ($300) but I am really satisfied with the results. As an aside they gave me a price for a new Corian counter top that would have been 1/2 inch Corian rather than the 1/4 inch that the vendura is (price $1200)
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler