Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #1

Cracking windshield

Last August on my drivers side windshield I found a small crack in the lower left corner, it's still there but not any larger after almost a year. This weekend I noticed another one forming on the same drivers side windshield at the top, this one about 3-4 inches long. Pretty sure it happened when i went over some rough spots in the road.

I had figured that the first one would get worse but it has not, even trough a very cold winter. So now I have another one.

I was wondering will I have leakage problems if they don't get any larger?

I've read that these split windshields from Winnebago have problems so what is the cost to fix it? Will a normal car windshield company do it and is there anything else needed to be done so it won't crack again that I can ask them to do?

I have a 2008 Winnebago Vista 33T
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #2

will it leak? maybe...but doubtful

I just had both windshields replaced on mine due to some little hooligans in the neighborhood who went on a rock throwing exhibition. Mine was the only RV...the rest were 4 wheelers.

And I am sure mine was the most expensive of the lot....Insurance paid for it, close to 2100 bucks (should have seen the look on the officers face when i gave him a copy of the bill for his records....should have seen mine too when they gave me the quote!!)

As far as shops.....there are RV glass specific shops. If your Insurance wont cover it, they should be able to find you a place to get it done.You might get lucky and be able to have it repaired.

My claims handler/ glass supplier was a place called Duncan Systems out of PA. They make alot of glass for the RV/truck/bus world.

good luck!

Probably never going to have a chance to "drive" a Boeing, so I bought an Aerbus!
jeepthrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #3

Winnie Windshields

You can find more than you would ever want to read on this site re: windshields.
Winnebagos are prone to rust issues behind the glass, so you may well have to coordinate two trades...auto body and glass.
Many glass companies don't want to deal with motorhome windshields.
Often the process of replacing one side precipitates the failure of the other side [the glass company often brings both halves].
Supporting the motorhome structure while the entire windshield is out is sometimes a challenge. If it sags a bit, fitting the new glass is quite difficult.
There are companies that specialize in motorhome windshield replacement. Sort of like open heart surgery...find someone who's done many of them.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM251ss View Post
Last August on my drivers side windshield I found a small crack in the lower left corner, it's still there but not any larger after almost a year. This weekend I noticed another one forming on the same drivers side windshield at the top, this one about 3-4 inches long. Pretty sure it happened when i went over some rough spots in the road.

I had figured that the first one would get worse but it has not, even trough a very cold winter. So now I have another one.

I was wondering will I have leakage problems if they don't get any larger?

I've read that these split windshields from Winnebago have problems so what is the cost to fix it? Will a normal car windshield company do it and is there anything else needed to be done so it won't crack again that I can ask them to do?

I have a 2008 Winnebago Vista 33T
KTM,
Well, the very short answer is, yes, it (the crack) CAN be treated. Repaired, no but, treated, yes. I had a chip in my lower, passenger side windshield. I procrastinated fixing it. Well, that cost me. I was about to get ready to replace that side windshield when, a fellow member on here said, "get it fixed" (the crack, that is). So, I looked them up in the yellow pages and low and behold, I found the "Crack Doctor". How about that for a name in the yellow pages.

Anyway, that chip, had turned into a 13" crack and, I asked him about doing anything about it. His reply, "Yep, we can stop the crack and guaranty it not to creep any farther". So, I told him to come up to the house and do his magic. He worked on it for about an hour. He ended up stop-drilling it in three different spots. Then, he filled it as he worked.

That crack, happened about two years ago and, it's still the same length it was when he repaired/treated it. And, the really good part, you really could see it prior to his repair but, now, you really have to look hard to see it. I forget it's even there.

As for insurance, It always cracks me up when people say, "your insurance will take care of it". Yeah sure it will. The thing is, there's only about a zillion different policy writings out there. What one person has in his or her state or, county/zip code, and how he/she set it up when the policy was written, can be considerably different than a person in another state. So, before getting all excited about thinking your insurance will cover it, I'd make a call to them and see what YOUR policy will do for you and, what, if any, will be any ramifications if you turn in a claim.

Every glass man I've ever talked with about RV windshield says to keep your stock windshield as long as possible. That is, if you get chips, small cracks that can be treated, then do it but, keep that stock one as long as you can. Most good glass men will say that the replacement is not a good as the stock one. Hope this helps some. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:52 PM   #5

Thanks everybody!
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:07 PM   #6

Hi KTM,
I had your issue, but in reverse. I had a leak in the area of the upper right front windshield. When I went to have that repaired they pulled both windshields, found rust, replaced some stripping within and reset the windshields. The leak was repaired but shortly thereafter BOTH windshields developed cracks running from the inside top toward the center of each windshield. I called the place that did the leak repair and they claimed that those windshields can crack anytime due to stress, rough roads, etc., and we are not responsible.
I eventually called the mobile windshield guy that did a car window for me and he said he could do my RV windshields, in fact, most RV centers call him, or a similar outfit, to do these windshields. My windshields haven't cracked after his installations. And he is cheaper than the RV centers - no middleman...
Just make sure you inquire about prior RV windshield experience and/or references...
sgtstriker is offline   Reply With Quote