Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2018, 10:01 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cummins/Allison went into limp mode Stuck???

While pulling up a rolling hill under power, my 02” Journey 32’, Cummins ISB 275, Allison 2000MH, with toad, threw a ENG CHK code, and lurched into limp mode. I pulled into the curb lane and re-started it to reset ECM, the ENG CHK and this time the TRANS CHK came on also. Since it seemed drivable in limp mode and I was just a few miles from home, I drove to the house.

While going down the road the engine ECM seem to make it quit right at 1500 rpm, the maximum speed attained probably was 5-10 mph. had to stay under 1500 rpm to keep engine running. Barley made it up a few rolling hills on the way home. No noise unusual, from engine or transmission, fluids all normal. No heat, injection pump V-44 was getting 15 psi, ran smooth at 1400rpm. Just had the Allison service by Allison SCV CTR about a year ago. PUZZLED.

Has anyone got any suggestions on what might have caused this problem or cures.
Winnebago Journey 2002 WKP32T, Cummins ISB 275 HP, Allison 2000 5 speed, Air Dog Rapter Lift pump, Michelin XRV all around, TOAD; Xterra 2012 4X4 Auto, driveshaft disconnect. ATT MOBLEY, $20 unlimited internet.
GAGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2018, 10:10 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
First thing on a diesel is fuel filters.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:23 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've had similar happen to us 3 times and each time we swapped out the fuel filter/water separator and all was good. Had to prime it according to instructions. Turn key on but not to start for 15 seconds the off 25 seconds. The repeat at least six times and then start it up. Usually it stalls soon after and we do priming again then it works fine. Did it just this past Tuesday in a Walmart parking lot. 1 year ago did it on shoulder of interstate near Atlanta. Walmart was much easier. We have side radiator and the filter is pretty easy to change. Always keep two new filters on board.

Sent from my XT1254 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD - 350 Cummins ISC; Toad 2012 Wrangler 6 speed
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:28 PM   #4

Happened to me between Chatanooga and Birminham due to low turbo pressure. Thought it w a bad turbo pressure switch but it turned out to be a split in a hose which was dumping turbo pressure.
KD4XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:50 PM   #5

This happened to us in our prior rig, DP. In our case it was, of all things, the alternator. Yes, the alternator internal regulator went out and electronics started going haywire. Check engine, check transmission, turbo boost gone. Same situation, I was very near home so drove it the few miles home. When I parked it and walked outside I didn't even really need the voltmeter to tell me what happened, I smelled my toasted and wasted chassis batteries. They were getting blasted with 18VDC. Alternator replaced and new batteries life was good again, no codes. Well, three restarts and all codes cleared. I chimed this in since normally the fuel filter problem doesn't trigger the Allison check light.
kayak70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:22 AM   #6

Forgot to mention that an alternator in overcharge mode gave no indication on the dash, no light etc. If you have a voltmeter in the dash area to monitor it would have shown up. Under charge and a dummy light comes on, red light. Overcharge from a failed internal regulator and no light - just fried batteries and electronics going haywire and check engine lights and check transmission, transmission link failure etc.
kayak70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison, cummins