Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2007, 10:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Have a 2005 Sightseer 34A and some of the decals are shrinking. Has anyone else had a simular problem?
Dave & Jo's Winnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Have a 2005 Sightseer 34A and some of the decals are shrinking. Has anyone else had a simular problem?
Old 06-01-2007, 10:37 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum!!!!!

This will happen when the sun will cook the vinyl decals....We keep ours covered for that very reason, as up here, the sun will TOAST the decals.

Also do NOT use wax on them as this dries them out. We use ProtectAll on the vinyl graphics....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave & Jo's Winnie:
Have a 2005 Sightseer 34A and some of the decals are shrinking. Has anyone else had a simular problem? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have seen some real disasters caused by using car wax on decals. I was warned years ago about this practice from the owner of a automotive body shop. Once the damage is done, there is no remedy.

Bob....
Old 06-01-2007, 01:27 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Dave & Jo's Winnie: Welcome to the forum.com we are glad you joined and hope to see more posts from you in the future. May I suggest you go into your profile and put some rig-specific info into the Signature box. That way our members can see what you have and reply accordingly.

Since your question is coach related, I'm moving it to the Winnie forum in hopes of getting you more answers. Ed
Old 06-01-2007, 03:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Would also love to hear how to gt rid of these obnoxious adversitements.
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Parked next to a guy whose coach was 'all white' above the lower body paint. Questioned him and he told me one day he got fed up with the 'ads' and the shrinking decals and took them all off with a heat gun.

Got to say, it was unique look coach. Did make me think maybe he was onto something.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The decal on my lower door section has has pulled from under the edge trim. I had someone from the dealership look at it and he pointed out 'fish scaling' in the middle of the decal. They said it isn't covered under warranty but a new decal is $20.00.

I'm taking my RV in next week for a water leak that is under warranty and they will replace the decal then.

$20.00 doesn't sound too bad as I just put new decals on my new, to me, rebuilt 1994 Mercury outboard engine. Mercury decals cost me $150.00.

And after a lot of worrying I found out decals are easy to apply. I followed the instructions from Mercury Marine. They said to mix 16ml of dish washing soap with one gallon of water and spray the sticky side of the decal after removing the protective paper backing and then spray the place you are going to place the decal. The decal will now float into place.

To place the decal I taped it where I wanted it and then I used masking tape to mark the outline of the decal leaving about 1/8" on all sides.

Use a squeegee, or credit card, to work the soapy water bubbles from under the decal.

It worked great and my 1994 Mercury outboard cowl looks like new.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:10 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Talked with my dealer who contacted Winnebago. They are sending new decals. Sounds like they got a bad batch of vinyl. If all shrunk might be tempted to blame the AZ sun but that is not the case.