Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2006, 04:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

What brand of deep cycle battery is Winnebago using on it's new units?
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

What brand of deep cycle battery is Winnebago using on it's new units?
Old 12-08-2006, 02:10 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I saw an '06 Adventurer that was set up with the Interstate 29s.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:56 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Reason I'm asking is that I need to look for replacements after only 28 months with the original Interstates. I don't believe the problem is due to my lack of maintenance as I regularly check them and top off with distilled water when needed. When not being used disconnect is in "off" and during the winter I plug in once a month to charge them and connect a trickle charge to the engine battery.

Last week prior to the first monthly charge of the winter I had to add water. When I checked after being plugged in for 4 days one of the cells was frozen. Called my dealer and he said Winnebago had changed to NAPA because of problems with the Interstate battery.

My intent is not to start a thread badmouthing Interstate or the dealer. My hope is to find the best battery to use. I know one option is to go with 4 6v instead of 2 12v but I don't do a lot of dry camping. Any imput would be appreciated.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

FYI I replaced my original Interstates with Sears Diehards a couple of monyhs ago, everything is fine so far...

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 04:53 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Interstate, like NAPA, is a huge "distributor" of batteries. You can research this if you want at
http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/batbrand.htm to see who actually manufactures the battery.

I think you just got unlucky. When my Interstate's go bad, I'm going to replace with Walmart deep cycle (or Sam's, or Costco)

If your trickle charger is a Battery Minder and you leave it plugged in all the time, you could tie the whole bunch of batteries together for the winter.

Johnson Controls new plant to build Interstate and others
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 05:25 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

From what I understand from reading another RV Forum a while back most of the batteries labeled deep cycle are really "modified or hybrid" deep cycle batteries. The Interstates, the Wal Mart the Costco, and the Sears fit into this category. True deep cycle batteries are labeled by ampere-hour ratings. Conventional and hybrid batteries are rated by CCA(Cold Cranking Amperes). Trojan makes the true deep cycle batteries. There may be others. I do not claim to be a battery expert. Just passing on what I have read.

NASAGuy
NASAGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 05:59 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
Interstate manufacturers their own batteries. For the SRM-29 (what Winnie still uses) full replacement warranty is 12 months and the pro-rated warranty is 30 months. At 28 months you should be able to get a Interstate dealer to give you a few bucks for the one that failed.

There was a problem back in '04-'05 where Winnie/Interstate tried to use a SRM-31's but those batteries had a design flaw where they would not hold a charge and eventually Interstate had a pseudo-recall and replaced them with SRM-29's including at the factory.

If you replace one house battery you should replace them all even if it's the same make/model. Mixed batteries of different ages/usage will not charge/discharge very well (the charge controllers assume uniform requirements) and could lead to multiple failures even on any new batteries.

If you use your coach with any regularity including dry camping where the house batteries are cycled (discharge/recharge) then even with perfect maintenance and not over discharging (below 11.5 volts unloaded) you can expect to replace the sealed lead acid (SEL) variety about every 3-4 years. Any time you discharge below 11.5 volts it will greatly shorten the life of a SEL battery.

If you are willing to make the investment I'd recommend going with a AGM battery (Trojan or Lifeline). AGM lasts 2-3 times longer than SEL have better charge/discharge performance and are totally maintenance free.

You can also consider switching to 6V batteries (usually two pairs of 6V in series in the same space as 3 group 29 12v). 6V (aka golf cart) batteries are truly deep-cycle, no hybrids, and provide more amp-hours for the same space. However, I do see the warranty periods are notably less (e.g. only 6 months).

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:26 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Bob:

I've had good luck with Interstates in my boats and on the motorhome. I investigated AGM's but they were just too expensive for my use...our 'boondocking' is limited to an overnight stay at a Walmart. As another poster said, 3 years or so is about average life of a wet cell deep cycle battery..if I get more than that I'm always grateful.

A tip..if you decide to replace your batteries with new Interstates, see if you can find a distributor in your area. My local Interstate distributor beat the best price I could get from any dealer on 3 SRM-29's by $60 ($20 per battery).
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for info and recommendations.

A few of you mentioned the SRM 29 & 31. Interesting my originals are only SRM-24's. I have the space so I'm definitely going to upgrade and if I'm reading the interstate chart correctly I can improve significantly on the reserve capacity.

DonavonP - I do have the Battery Minder but usually use it only for the chassis battery. Since I plug it into the MH I figured I'd let the MH charge the house batteries. Since I'm going to replace the batteries I may change my thinking on that.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

In my experience, batteries just won't go much past two or three years without becoming problematic. I am hopeful something better will come down the pike, but not holding my breath. I did upgrade my chassis battery to a gel cell.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:14 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

At the wit rally this past july we were told winnebago is now using a different battery supplier. Sorry I cant recall the name of the new one, but it will no longer be Interstate. Someone else may remember who new supplier is.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote