Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-01-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Okay another newbie question for you guys: the Weather Service says that the "average" last day for a freeze here is April 22. We are itching to be out and about. (already have once but didn't use the water systems). How cold and for how long does it take to freeze the water lines?
We park at a storage site and don't have access to electricity. If it was going to get cold one night would it be safe to run the furnace with no one in the coach? Barring a real cold snap would that be enough?
I hear Clint Eastwood voice asking "do you feel lucky, punk?"
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Okay another newbie question for you guys: the Weather Service says that the "average" last day for a freeze here is April 22. We are itching to be out and about. (already have once but didn't use the water systems). How cold and for how long does it take to freeze the water lines?
We park at a storage site and don't have access to electricity. If it was going to get cold one night would it be safe to run the furnace with no one in the coach? Barring a real cold snap would that be enough?
I hear Clint Eastwood voice asking "do you feel lucky, punk?"
Old 04-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
MrG
Winnebago Camper

Location: at exit 308 on I-65 between Huntsville and Birmingham
I just did mine this weekend. I hope it doen't go below freezing anymore. I brought mine home, and I'll use propane furnace if needed since I just filled fresh water up. I have never worried about propane furnace when I leave campground in cold when camping, so why worry now? Our club's 1st campout starts 4/12. Hope to see you at WIT Indiana state rally. Some of our Prairie Scooners Illinois club will come a visitin
Old 04-02-2007, 09:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I dewinterized and went camping last weekend. I live in NJ so I was also concerned about one last freeze. I just drained the lines and blew them out with my compressor. I'll keep doing this after trips until I am comfortable about no more cold nights.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">would it be safe to run the furnace with no one in the coach </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Don't see a problem with that. Mine is stored at home and I frequently do that at the beginning and end of season. However, keep in mind your coach batteries will most likely need a charge. That will depend on how many nights you use the furnace and whether or not you are able to disconnect the batteries when you are not using the furnace. If you don't disconnect you will still be drawing power for little things like your CO2 detector.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Well, don't be in a hurry to de-winterize yet! 'Teens for the weekend in the forecast.

We just got back from wintering in Texas...DH says with cold coming in for a week, he's going to winterize ours again. Cheap insurance.

And, Mr.G, I'll look for you at the Indiana WIT gathering ... where ever it may be!

Rose
Old 04-03-2007, 06:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everyone. RRT2, welcome back to the "heart land" The WIT is in Bremen, June 8-10. Hope to see you and MrG there. I will be the grey headed newbie, looking very confused about everything!

Bruce
Old 04-04-2007, 01:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Bruce. Got it 'reserved'! Rose
Old 04-04-2007, 08:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Fortunately I have waited to de-winterize my coach. It was 33 degrees here this morning, supposed to go down some where in the 20's tonight. Was 80 degrees on Monday! I recall that almost always it snows at some point in April in Indiana in the 14 years I have lived here.

When my firm asked me to move from Washington DC to Indiana, our first house hunting trip was in early April, and upon arrival at the Indianapolis airport it was snowing. It was all I could do to get my wife into the rental car, I thought she was going to take the next flight back!

Then later that same year in the winter, it got down to 27 degrees below zero and she told me that weather like that was not part of deal!!!

Fortunately that has not repeated itself since!

We are hoping by the 22nd or so of this month we can de-winterize for the season.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Well, after heading to Menard's yesterday and finding a couple of gallons of RV antifreeze tucked away somewhere, DH re-winterized in the almost frigid temps. Better safe than sorry.

Rose