Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

My radiator faces the rear on my model, I think they all did because of how the ac is in the basement? Just a guess though!.
HammerLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Cat or Cummins has a great effect on which rad. My 04 Horizon with the Cummins 8.3 ISC has a side rad.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Two items (Well 3)

First: I see a lot of those in my travels so it's popular.

Second: You usually see mention of a rig, outside of the sig or profile parts of the post, when the owner has an issue.. So perhaps they are well built.

Third: Some years ago I picked up a good deal on a 13' SCAMP, this is a "ultra-lite" (<2000 pounds) trailer and I pulled it for several years with different tow vehicles and enjoied it a lot.. NEVER saw another one till......

I traded it in on the class A I'm typing in.. Well, going down the road on my first camping trip not only did I see another one.. but it was a Ham Radio Operator towing it too (I"m a ham radio operator) Went camping again and spotted one in the park,, IN all I saw like half a dozen of 'em that first year.

Of course.. IN the world of radio (Which includes television) I often post about how "Height is Might" (The higher up you are the mighter your signal or receiver)

perhaps the added height of the driver's seat in this "A" lets me see them better .
Old 06-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

10-4 on that! I do like to "ride like a mexican" in my work truck (no air in the seat), and I always get asked why I sit on the floor when I drive. For some people I guess it is better that they sit "high and forward" if it makes them feel more confident in their driving, for me, I was taught to drive truck by an old timer and he wouldnt let me put any air in the seat, said it would make me a better driver, and after 25 years of accident free semi driving, maybe he was right.( or I have been real lucky!)Anyways, thanks for the great reply, I appreciate the positive come backs from everyone!
Old 06-08-2012, 06:44 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

O/P Erling!!! has it right on the spot. It allows Winnebago to double their outlets with out confusion. There is a little higher end amenities to the Itasca as Cadillac over Buick, but they are built on the same line. Have no fear.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

I own a 2002 Itasca Horizon 34HD model. Let me know if you need help, because I have fixed a lot of stuff on mine. I'm about to turn 90K miles.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Hammerlane............Love my 34bd might see ya on the road.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

Here are two things to think about.. The first is the most important.

You said you don't hear much on here about them..

USUALLY when you hear about a motor home or trailer on these forums it is because someone has a problem and is seeking help..... If you do NOT hear about them it may just mean no problems.

This same thought:
My brother went to work for a new Trucking firm, I mentioned them to one of my Motor carrier Enforement officers and she said she did not know much about them.. There were some companies where she knew all the drivers, their spouse's name, their kids' names and so on but this company The only thing she knew was she saw their trucks on the road Almost never stopped one... (The ones she knew was because she was always wrighting notices of voilations thus making "I don't knwo them" a very good thing).

And the second thought:

I pulled a 13 foot Scamp TT for many years, NEVER saw another till I got this Class A. First trip down the road I'm following... A 13' Scamp and what's mroe the guy driving is a HAM (Same as me) In 2005 (This house's model year) I think I saw at least half a dozen of 'em. Amazing how that works.

The day afte ryou sell it you will find a hundred posts hear about that model.. Of course you will have all the answers .
Old 09-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #29
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey39n View Post
The Itasca 2003 Horizon's were the equivalent to the Winnebago 2003 Journey's. We owned a 2003 32' Horizon and loved it.

In 2004, the Itasca equivalent to the Journey was named Meridian, and the Horizon name moved up to the top of the line and was equivalent to the Winnebago Vectra.

In 2010, the Vectra and Horizon names were phased out, with the Tour and Ellipse moving to the top of the line spots, the Journey and Meridian moved up one spot, and the Journey Express, and Meridian V Class, filled in at the bottom of the big diesel pusher lines.

The names may have changed, but features and quality remain in those spots. There are lots of Horizon's out there, but are larger and more delux than your 2003 model. And no 2010-2012 models.

Friend of ours has a Meridian very, very nice unit as long as your happy thats all that counts if you like it ,it was meant to be. We love our Alfa
we like its floor plan is perfect for us, enjoy your unit its nice.
IRV2-Supporter
Sutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Now that we have been out on the road with it a little, we are definitely seeing some of these out there. It seems they are a little more common the further you get away from Spokane. Maybe because we dont have a large winnebago/itasca dealer over here?
Old 08-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

As you have found out - the Journey, Horizon, (early) Meridan are all the same. In 2002, the Horizon was the top of the line Itasca (10K Lbs tow rating). Many are out there which makes getting good info about how to fix things relatively easy and from multiple sources.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Relax.

I see Itascas all over the place, must be because I do not have one. I hear good things about them as well. You are fine, at least as fine as a Dolphin LX owner, who knows maybe better.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Hi Fireup, do you toad your truck with the wing in the back? We have a jeep and a wing and are interested in a Itasca Meridian diesel pusher. Just have to figure out the logistics of getting it all from here to there.

Thanks!
Y Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y Roadrunner View Post
Hi Fireup, do you toad your truck with the wing in the back? We have a jeep and a wing and are interested in a Itasca Meridian diesel pusher. Just have to figure out the logistics of getting it all from here to there.

Thanks!
Y Roadrunner,
Well Sir, (assuming you're a Sir), we had, what you have now. See the second and third pictures below. Our '04 Horizon 36GD with the 330 CAT "Had" a Hydralift on the back until a few months ago. We hauled that 900 lb. GL 1800 all over some of the westerns states, about 8,000 miles worth and, towed our '04 Jeep Rubicon for much of the time. The coach handled it with ease.

I was told all kinds of stuff would happen. The back of the coach would fall off, the roof cap in the back would separate, the front tires would almost not touch the ground and more and more and more. NONE OF IT EVER HAPPENED! That couch handled it flawlessly. It drove straight down the road. No porpoising, no swaying, no ill handling what so ever.

The rig never incurred any damage at all. Now, I will say that, I was right at 2600 lbs. overweight on the rear axle. I knew it when I set the system up. It's our rig and if I broke it, I'd be the one that had to fix it so I calculated all the stats and went ahead with the install.

Anyway, after 8K miles, I just figured we'd pushed our luck long enough. I loved that lift. It by far, is the most superior motorcycle lift/carrier on the market. But, due to being a bit overweight for such a long time, and, there are limited but, none the less there, weigh stations that make it mandatory for RVs to enter in certain states. I figured sooner or later I'd be hit by one of those things and then I'd be in trouble.

Time for a change. We both like pickups. So, we acquired a 2011 GMC Sierra Extended cab 4x4 for a toad. I set up for towing and then, we searched high and low for a "Rampage" motorcycle lift/carrier for it. We found a great deal on one that was only 5 hours from us. So, we snapped it up. I mounted it in the back of the truck in about 8 hours and that was all there was to it.

Now, the I was a bit apprehensive about towing a full sized truck and, with a 900 lb. Goldwing in the back of it. Well, we're very happy to say it tows that truck absolutely great. On anything but, the most serious grades, it's fabulous. On the big grades, like the one just north of Bishop CA, it gets down to about 35-38 mph. No biggie. I get there when I get there. As for the rest of the time, it's smooth sailing at about 60-62 mph. for 99.99% of our driving.

The Rampage works great for loading and unloading that beast. The bed of the truck is a 6.5' bed so the Rampage sticks out about 18" from the edge of the bed. We don't even carry the tail gate when on trips because we can't put it up anyway. So, sorry for the long winded novel here but, I wanted to let you know that we WERE in the same "boat" as you are. And, based on the fact that we Jeeped all over the planet for almost 25 years, it was time for a change. PM me if you'd like more info. I surely don't want to highjack the OPs thread here.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #35
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerLane View Post
Hi, just curious why I dont see much talk of the Itasca horizon models on this site? mostly wondering about the 34ft. models, I havent even seen one out on the road yet and I drive truck for a living. Maybe we just bought an instant classic!
I think we all will agree on this. You bought it because you liked it. And that is all that counts at the time of purchase. There are more of the smaller coaches on the road than the bigger ones, though these are becoming more and more popular among the fulltimers.

Take care of your little house on wheels and it will treat you as well as it can. Abuse it and it will be unforgiving.

Here is a funny concept for discussion. Have any experienced the 'You dared to leave me alone for awhile?' syndrome from your coach? I can't tell you how many times we have left the rig for a weekend or so just to come back to find something not working that has never been a problem. I sometimes think these things are a bit more alive than we give them credit for.

Aside from that, just enjoy your coach and don't worry about being the only one like it in the campground.

Happy trails.
Rick
Old 09-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post

I think we all will agree on this. You bought it because you liked it. And that is all that counts at the time of purchase. There are more of the smaller coaches on the road than the bigger ones, though these are becoming more and more popular among the fulltimers.

Take care of your little house on wheels and it will treat you as well as it can. Abuse it and it will be unforgiving.

Here is a funny concept for discussion. Have any experienced the 'You dared to leave me alone for awhile?' syndrome from your coach? I can't tell you how many times we have left the rig for a weekend or so just to come back to find something not working that has never been a problem. I sometimes think these things are a bit more alive than we give them credit for.

Aside from that, just enjoy your coach and don't worry about being the only one like it in the campground.

Happy trails.
Rick

We love ours. Bought a 2001 36ld Horizon. Had it 3 months and have put over 3000 miles on her and we haven't left the state of Florida.
Tops800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #37
Winnebago Camper

We bought a 2001 Horizon we have had her for 3 months we put over 3000 miles and we haven't left Florida

Love it. And yet we also wonder why you don't see very many.
Tops800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #38
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
One of our good friends, and one of the moderators on this forum, bought a Horizon last year. It's a beautiful coach.
I think Jay might have been referring to me. My DW and I really enjoy our Horizon and I have seen several around in my travels. I would not hesitate recommending it to anyone.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerLane View Post
Hi, just curious why I dont see much talk of the Itasca horizon models on this site? mostly wondering about the 34ft. models, I havent even seen one out on the road yet and I drive truck for a living. Maybe we just bought an instant classic!
We have the same model...I see them around....but I see more Meridians now. The 32 and 34 models are the 2 smaller units in the line - more state park friendly. Also, the 34 has no slides on the curb side, which is one of the features I was looking for (no slides on the awning side). I have 93K miles on mine, just trying to take care of it because I plan to hit 150K miles before I get my next rig.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:42 AM   #40
Winnebago Master

If you see adventurers by Winnie you have seen an Itasca. They are twins with the exception the Itasca has some upgrades and usually sells for a little more. I have owned two very dependable Itascas and would buy another in a heartbeat. Not sure where you are driving but I see them all the time. Don't worry it is 5 o'clock some where.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote