Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I purchased the Zenith converter,for our 06 Adventurer,with sony trintion, and VHS/DVD. The instructions seemed easy enough-- wrong! I took the antenna cable loose from the "in" connector on VHS/DVD player.I then screwed it on to the cable "in" plug on the converter, then using the cable supplied connected it to the out plug on the converter, then to the VHS/DVD in plug. It shows the blue light, and blinks when using the remote, but thats it, I can't see a menu on the tv, or see any any difference. There is another cable with red white and yellow connectors. I tried to connect next(to proper colors} to the ones that are already on the video 1 on the player. Do I have to install them directly to the TV?? This is also a surround sound system. I'm sure by now you see how electronically challenged I am.
Sorry for the long post. Your help will be appreciated.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I purchased the Zenith converter,for our 06 Adventurer,with sony trintion, and VHS/DVD. The instructions seemed easy enough-- wrong! I took the antenna cable loose from the "in" connector on VHS/DVD player.I then screwed it on to the cable "in" plug on the converter, then using the cable supplied connected it to the out plug on the converter, then to the VHS/DVD in plug. It shows the blue light, and blinks when using the remote, but thats it, I can't see a menu on the tv, or see any any difference. There is another cable with red white and yellow connectors. I tried to connect next(to proper colors} to the ones that are already on the video 1 on the player. Do I have to install them directly to the TV?? This is also a surround sound system. I'm sure by now you see how electronically challenged I am.
Sorry for the long post. Your help will be appreciated.

Equinox Toad
Old 09-27-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

stearn;

I just installed a Winegard RCDT09A to my main TV and I assume the Zenith is similar. I connected my converter between the distribution switch box and the TV. You did not mention if your converter has RF pass through. In my installation this was important if I wanted my satellite or DVD to work when the converter is switched off. When the converter is switched on the TV must be tuned to channel 3.

In your hookup your distribution switch box would have to be able to transfer the antenna signal to your VHS/DVD and your DVD would have to be able to allow RF pass through to your converter. Your TV would have to be set to channel 3. If all these things come to pass it should work.

I hope I have helped you. Not knowing how your coach is wired I was basing it on mine.

Good luck;
Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

On your switch box in the overhead, instead of having the TV button pushed it, use the VCR button. That's what it took with the RCA Converter that I used. Like your, the light flashed, could turn the unit on with the remote, but other than that nothing. Hope it works for you.

Fred Dahlman
03 Adventurer
03 Windstar w/axle lock
Brake Buddy
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 06:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

stearn

I connected mine exactly as you did. Then on the selection box make sure the VCR is set to ANT, and the TV is set to VCR. That makes it work on mine.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Most converter box will not pass the standard signal.

I just installed a converter box in our 2005 Suncruser. If you have wineguard
switch box you can connect the output of DTV box to Aux input on switch. You will need a ant splitter that will pass power on one port. Use this port to power Wineguard roof ant. I have a few splitters.

2005 Itasca 38R Suncruiser
Frank (Wires) & Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I walked through Best Buy last week and they had tube flat screen TV's at a very reasonable price which includes the built in digital receiver.I'm thinking about by-passing the little box and make it easier and cleaner and just replace the TV(s).
Ed O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:28 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I have activated my digital converter and was surprised in the improved picture. It is not HD quality but it is an improved picture. I used the Winnegard converter with the pass through feature because it provided a better physical fit. SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFChap:
stearn

I connected mine exactly as you did. Then on the selection box make sure the VCR is set to ANT, and the TV is set to VCR. That makes it work on mine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In addition to this also make sure the DVD/VCR is set to TV. Then make sure your TV is set to either Ch3 or Ch4, try each.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:43 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to all for your help! I now have digital channels! Your explainations are great!
Roy

Equinox Toad
Old 09-28-2008, 01:21 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">activated my digital converter and was surprised in the improved picture. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, a digital picture is normally much better, just as we have seen on catv and satellite for several years now. The difference is, with a weak signal on analog you get a fuzzy picutre, while with a weak signal on digital you may get no picture, or a breaking up one you cannot watch. Analog allowed you to watch a weak signal if you could stand the snow, etc -- digital either has a picture, or it doesn't, but when it does, the picture is great!
Old 09-28-2008, 03:25 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Frank and Jean: Thanks for the great info. and diagram. QUESTION: I am understanding you correctly here: "all tv's can receive digital signals by using the aux switch on either channels 3/4"? If that's the case, then I guess I did not have to spend 600+dollars on a new tv, 4 days of intall! It sounds like I could have left my old tv in there and use your method of the aux switch and channel 3/4. What am I missing here. Thanks
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:50 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

You should get HD TV on your new TV rather than SD TV at analog scan rates, meaning a much better picture.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:31 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

All TV's will get only the channel set on the converter box. You can add a second box to the rear TV and view any channel.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fun time:
Frank and Jean: Thanks for the great info. and diagram. QUESTION: I am understanding you correctly here: "all tv's can receive digital signals by using the aux switch on either channels 3/4"? If that's the case, then I guess I did not have to spend 600+dollars on a new tv, 4 days of intall! It sounds like I could have left my old tv in there and use your method of the aux switch and channel 3/4. What am I missing here. Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2005 Itasca 38R Suncruiser
Frank (Wires) & Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:58 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Since I wanted both TV's to be one their own channels I took the easy way out....let my dealer do the install. the bedroom tv looked impossible to get to and you do need separate boxes to have the tv's on their own channel.

I am not as able as some of you to do a lot of my own work in these areas.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:32 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Wow... followed Frank's easy to understand instructions and now have more channels and better reception. Just bought one converter and works great for both tvs, must be on same channel but suits us fine. Thanks.
Bill
Bill & Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:45 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

I, too, am appreciative of Frank's directions and picture. I hooked up my Zenith box (from Radio Shack) and it worked the very first time.

The most difficult part of the project was redoing the "cover" that surrounds the Winegard selector switch so that the converter box could sit on top of the switch ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:59 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Frank & Jean, Thanks for the pictures. Did it just like you showed and it works great, now get alot more channels.