Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2019, 01:53 PM   #1

Dimensions 2000 watt Inverter/Charger

I own a 2005 Journey with a Dimensions , inverter / charger
I am not having any issues with it .
But have read stories of life expectancy of these units
And I have read that there are other replacements that are better units .
That being said , Id like to ask .
Since I keep mine pluged in most of the time when in storage mode.
Looking to extend its life I periodically I unplug it for a weeek or so .
But during the hot weather I do keep a fan going in the coach.

And other times , I use my underpowered for the task , Deltran battery tender .

While plugged in to electric , will the two solenoids in the front front be energised also ?
I ask as one is continousus duty .
And im considering purchasing a larger tender .
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2019, 05:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey cat View Post
I own a 2005 Journey with a Dimensions , inverter / charger
I am not having any issues with it .
But have read stories of life expectancy of these units
And I have read that there are other replacements that are better units .
That being said , Id like to ask .
Since I keep mine pluged in most of the time when in storage mode.
Looking to extend its life I periodically I unplug it for a weeek or so .
But during the hot weather I do keep a fan going in the coach.

And other times , I use my underpowered for the task , Deltran battery tender .

While plugged in to electric , will the two solenoids in the front front be energised also ?
I ask as one is continousus duty .
And im considering purchasing a larger tender .
Hey JC,
The Dimensions 2000 watt Inverter/Charger has, in some cases, developed a bad rap. Some, have had a life as short as around 4- years while others, like ours, lasted 11 years before the charging side gave up the ghost. It's a long story but, in short, when the charging side of ours quit, the ever so diligent wife was touring the local Craigslist and just happened to find, a 6 month old Magnum 2012ME. The gent was selling it 'cause he needed a full sign wave unit for the new medical equipment that was gonna be loaded in to his 6 month old coach, for his wifes condition.

So, we got a great deal on that Magnum. Now, in all reality, it's pretty much an identical unit to the Dimensions unit. The basic operation, battery charging and inverter, were and are, pretty much identical to the Dimensions unit with only minor differences. I did have to get a new remote and, a cable. No biggie.

Now, that's my story. As for others who have had to discard their Dimensions unit, well, it's up to them to tell all about it. I was happy with my Dimensions unit, especially in how long it lasted. And, similar to you, that coach is plugged in, 24/7 when we're not in it and using it. So, in my opinion, for whatever that's worth, keeping them plugged in has little to no effect on their intended life expectancy.

Scott

By the way, AFTER we'd purchased and almost had the Magnum installed, just for grins, I called Dimensions and, talked with a tech on the 2000 watt Dimensions inverter/charger. He was good. He said I could send it back and they would completely go through it and install all new pro-logic sensory boards and all that techno jargon stuff. It would be around $500-$550 for that, and, I can't remember if that price included shipping or not.
Scott

P.S. 2,
I forgot to answer the question about the two solenoids. Those two solenoids have different functions. And one of them, has two functions on it's own. One of the solenoids is for shutting down the coach batteries. The other is the dual duty solenoid that links the house batteries to the chassis batteries when additional cranking power is needed for when the chassis batteries are low in voltage. But, that same solenoid also is engaged, via an ignition wire when the engine is started, to channel the engines alternator charging voltage/amperage to the coach batteries, as well as the engine batteries. But, when the coach is parked, and no one is pushing the "Auxiliary Battery Boost" toggle on the dash, or, the engine is shut down, that solenoid is completely shut down. Your coach battery charging is direct from the Inverter/Charger, through the large cables, to the batteries.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:35 PM   #3

Thank you Scott , Im awqare of the functions of those two solenides . As I had replaced both of them shortlly after purchasing .
The smaller one , located tward the center , with the two fuses .
Larger one to the left , which I believe is continus duty .
That being said . The large one shows 13 V on both side .
While pluged in or not . Also when the dash switch is in off position for 12V house voltage .
Thats what is confusing me .
Im wanting to purchase a waterproof , Deltrain 12V -5 amp tender limit use of the inverter
Old 06-19-2019, 05:17 PM   #4

Id like to correct myself as I was being interruputed while typing .
Its good to discuss these things .
Being ol school , rather than read instructions
The large solenoid is the boost from house to coach . Thus voltage on both sides .
Ill ass u me the other with fuses is continous ?
Old 06-19-2019, 06:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey cat View Post
Id like to correct myself as I was being interruputed while typing .
Its good to discuss these things .
Being ol school , rather than read instructions
The large solenoid is the boost from house to coach . Thus voltage on both sides .
Ill ass u me the other with fuses is continous ?
Hey JC,
I've got a good 1/2 dozen friends with either Journeys or Meridians of our era and it's been a while since I looked at their front sections, just above the gen to remember which solenoid is right or left. If I recall, (which is like watching the movie "The Fog") the dual duty/Auxiliary battery boost solenoid, is on the left, as you remove that cover panel. And the house battery shut down solenoid is the one on the right. Again, I could be off on that description.
Scott
Old 06-19-2019, 07:09 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's the Front End Wiring Installation diagram for the OP's coach. It shows the two solenoids in question on page 3. Facing the panel, the [house] battery disconnect is on the right and the battery boost is on the left.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:21 PM   #7

Yes the large house & coach one is on the left
And the Smaller one with 2 fuses is in the center .
And no problems with either !
Just wondering if when pluged in to shore power if the continuous duty solonide would be energised while pluged in and being stored ?
And opinions on life of the inverter / charger
Old 06-20-2019, 09:47 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No, the 'battery boost' solenoid is only activated when the engine is running or the 'Battery Boost' switch on the console is depressed. Starting with the 2006 DP models Winnebago added a Trik-L-Start to keep the chassis/engine batteries charged whenever the coach/house batteries are being charged. Current models use a different arrangement to accomplish the same thing.

Here's their Service Tip 2006-04 Trik-L-Start - on doing the same for our earlier models. (Note that the link in the pdf is outdated--here's a current link: Ultra TRIK-L-START.) It's a very easy install and works great!

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:52 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I added the Trik-L-Start a few years ago since the coach stays plugged in at home between trips. It works well and keeps the chassis batts charged at all times. A very worthwile investment, and a small one costwise at that.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:56 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I forgot to mention, my original Dimesions Inverter crapped out over a year ago. I called the company and they no longer rebuild those units, but they have a new 2000W one out that is now a "pure sine wave", so I ordered that from them. It was a straight forward change out and I could still use the original monitor in the coach. I just had to drill a couple of new bolt holes on the vertical mounting bracket in the bay as the bolt pattern wasn't exactly the same as the old one.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorguy View Post
I forgot to mention, my original Dimesions Inverter crapped out over a year ago. I called the company and they no longer rebuild those units, but they have a new 2000W one out that is now a "pure sine wave", so I ordered that from them. It was a straight forward change out and I could still use the original monitor in the coach. I just had to drill a couple of new bolt holes on the vertical mounting bracket in the bay as the bolt pattern wasn't exactly the same as the old one.
Hey Barry,
Unless your Dimensions unit had been replaced sometime in the past, when it failed on you "sometime last year", that insinuates it lasted pretty close to around 14 years or so, correct? If so, Partner, you had great luck with that unit. There are some ('04-07 or so, Journeys, Meridians, Horizons, Vectras etc.) that do still have them in place but, many are stored for long periods and not plugged in which, may or may not, make any difference in a life span. But, I'd say you got your money's worth out of that unit.
Scott

P.S. May I ask, what was the name of the one you replaced it with and, an approximate cost?
Scott
Old 06-23-2019, 05:32 PM   #12

Interesting what one can learn Scott. I came across an old tread of yours When you changed units. I’ll be ! Remote controls also. ! Almost make me want to upgrade. 🤩
Old 06-23-2019, 10:40 PM   #13

Doorguy - what was the replacement's model number?
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:46 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Scott, always good to hear from you. I think it was two years ago I replaced the inverter, so I got a good 13-14 yrs out of it as you indicated. I bought Dimensions latest version of the 2K unit, Model 12NP20HR, but it is now a pure sine wave. it was $2100 shipping included.

The electric blanket on the bed had some quirky electronic part in the control that if I had the inverter on and didn't unplug the blanket, the modified sine wave unit would fry the control. Went thru two blankets before I figured it out.

I also changed out my Costco 4ea. 6V house batts that I followed your lead on a few years ago. I was always getting corrosion on the terminals within a week of cleaning them and it was a constant upkeep. The batteries needed replacing anyway, so when I replaced them and all the cables, I used Thermoil in the cells and I haven't had one fleck of corrosion since I did that well over a year ago. Good stuff.

Tags
charger, inverter