Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2012, 06:25 AM   #21
swk
Winnebago Camper

Maybe you are on to something here. When you say "your control box is apparently not programmed for DISH with SW64, but DirecTV" do you mean something other than just changing the dip switches under the dome?

I checked the switches and had them set for Dish Network. I then changed them to DirecTV when trying out my friends DirecTV receiver.

Are you referring to some other programming that has to be done. There is no mention of that in the Winegard manual and Winegard has never suggested I "program a control box".
swk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:37 AM   #22
Winnie-Wise

On my KingDome with king controls, the brand of satellite service is selected via programming the wall mounted control, either with a keypad, or using the on/off switches. On yours, there are actual jumper switches to be set.

Getting the right setting is a real pain. And you must follow the steps exactly, as you already know.
1. you must have the dome set to search for the correct satellites (your jumper switches).
2. you must let the dome search for satellites first
3. After using the reciever's menu for set-up and testing the switch, if SW64 isn't shown as the switch type, DISH will not work.
4. Once SW64 is identified, then you must let the receiver search for all the signals, and it is ready to go.

One hitch I found. In my wiring, only the front receiver jack would allow initializing a receiver, and pointing the dome. To initialize my bedroom receiver, I had to move it to the front, hook to that wall jack, then initialize. After it was working, I moved it back to the bedroom, hooking to that wall jack. All worked, but it would not send commands to re-point the dish, only the front receiver would do that.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:24 AM   #23
swk
Winnebago Camper

So you did mean setting the dip switches under the dome on my RoadTrip. I set the dip switches for the correct provider and I know you can only setup and control the RoadTrip with TV1. For me in this RV, Dish Network still would not work, even when seeing the SW64 on the point dish screen. The RV is wired correctly as DirecTv receiver worked fine.

The DirecTv tech will arrive tomorow to install in my home. While he is here I will take one of the receivers to the RV and set it up.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Apparently you are pretty well versed in the operations of the RoadTrip, and your receivers. I find it discouraging, as you do, that a solution is not in hand.

I read in your posts that you set the DIP (jumper) switch for Dish and tried it, then set them for DirecTV and tried it and the Direct TV worked. As indicated by Journey39 I'm assuming that you went through that set up for DISH with the correct DIP switches set, and after all the searching you did an "Installation" on the DISH receiver menu and ran Check Switch. After completing that and saving the information you switched to a channel and a pop-up appeared saying it was initializing or getting the "guide." I'm then assuming that after that sequence you do not have a picture.

What step am I missing. I'm not trying to be a smart alec, just trying to figure out what the underlying problem is. I just have it in my mind that some step is missing, or something just isn't set correctly.

If you ever do get it to work on DISH I'd appreciate an update.

HD is great.

Good luck.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #25
swk
Winnebago Camper

When I purchased the RV used from my local dealer the RoadTrip dip switches were set for DirecTV. I mentioned to the tech at the dealer I use Dish Network so he changed the dip switches for Dish Network. When I had troubles I removed the dome to check the dip switch settings again just to be sure it was now set for Dish Network. It was correct. After many emails back and forth to Winegard they verified my setup and steps to get Dish Network working. I even called Dish Network and they were not very helpful.

I did follow the steps exactly and did get 119 without problem, got the guide and ran check switch again. I could see SW64 with OK on 110, 119, 129 but whenever I would change channels I would get Complete signal loss. Sometimes I would get Partial signal loss.

Wish I didn't have to loose HD but it really is not that big of a deal for me. Makes me wonder if the RoadTrip was set by the previous owner to DirecTv for a reason. By the way, Roadtrip default setting from the factory is DirecTv. DirecTv is being installed tomorrow.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the information. Since you are having DTV installed I guess it is a moot point to have the DISH side of the house working. From what you described it seems like the motor is not engaging to change to a different satellite, but then the SW64 showed okay. Lot's going through my mind right now, but no sense chasing it.

Good luck with DTV. If you want HD you could always stick an HD DTV antenna in the ground and feed it into Sat 2 position.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

Considering the fact that you set the dip switches properly for DISH, and the receiver locked onto the SW64 as the switch type, all sounds good to this point.

After running the checkswitch function on the receiver, the receiver indicated it found all three satellites 110, 119, and 129, all good to this point.

After the receiver took its time to download all the channel information, you tried viewing channels, but could only see channels from satellite 119, and if tuning to channels from different satellites, the receiver just displayed the message 'signal lost'. Obviously not acceptable.

From my view, there are two possible problems, first the dome is not pointing correctly when commanded to move, but since you got an ok on each of the satellites with the checkswitch function, I think it is pointing correctly.

Second, you are using a dual tuner receiver. I am definately one to push the limits on everything, and exhaust all testing to get something to work. But you may be trying to get something to work that will not. My instructions state very clearly that you have to have a (single tuner) type receiver to point the dish properly. Not saying yours won't work, but that seems to be the case. (otherwise, TV#2 could re-point the satellite so that TV#1 would lose its signal)

I have a similar problem when switching from my external 3 beam dish, to the single beam dome. Many of my scheduled recordings think they are using input 2, and get just a 'loss of signal' message. Very frustrating, to clear it, I have to delete the timer for that show, and re-create it. (or wait till I set up the external dish)

So the question is, when your friend tried his DirectTV receiver, was it a dual-tuner model?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #28
Winnebago Watcher

I had a lot of problems with my King dome when we first got our Tradewinds a couple of y/ago and finally wound up getting a Traveler. We discovered that the KD was set for Direct and we had Dish at home so we tried to get it to work on Dish and after going thru everything you are,we bit the bullet and bought the Traveler and got a 722 HD DVR. We have no rpoblems getting different channels on our two tvs and since the only tv that is HD is the front one we're perfectly happy.We've had very good results with Dish customer service,even in the middle of Death Valley,and really good service with Winegard when the dish wouldn't come down while on a trip.They told me how to take it apart and then when I got it back from the shop,it turned out that Winegard had sent a brandnew upgraded dish and not just parts.
We just figured it was worth the money to get a new one instead of fighting the old one.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #29
swk
Winnebago Camper

Journey39n
My friends DirecTv receiver is a single tuner SD (non HD) receiver. DS12-300 to be exact. It worked perfectly because only sat 101 is needed.

I have emails from Winegard that confirm the Dish Vip722k will work with the RoadTrip. You are correct that TV1 controls the Dish.

I had DirecTv installed over the weekend and everything is working fine with the RoadTrip.

Tags
dish