RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #71

Read again what Saddle said. If you were going to start out with a 34, there is no reason why you should be skeptical of a 40. That Foretravel is an awesome coach, and the build quality is among the best of anything out there. If I didn't have the coach I have, I'd be going to Texas for that one. Part of the negotiating process is to make the deal, either with a discount for old tires/batteries (my preference), or have them install only the make/model that you tell them.

My thoughts on the Airstream:
I am editing my original thoughts on this one, as I see it is newer and of different design that what I was thinking of. I knew a guy here in Delaware that used to restore them, for resale. He really did strip them down to bare bones. Some of the things I saw that left the factory would definitely have been a show-stopper for me.

But the model you are looking at is quite newer and probably built better than the ones from a decade earlier. This may actually be a contender. But, that Foretravel was sure a beautie.

Terry, I want to see you get a good coach. I don't think the Airstream is it, but you may prove me wrong. If it were me, I keep looking for the private seller who's health is forcing a sale. He would enjoy talking about his rig, his trips, the TLC he gave it over the years, etc., if it is a good one. And if you find one stored indoors, you will be buying a coach 10 weather-years newer.

What about that Monaco you posted? That is a nice coach; had a good following and there is an active Monaco forum here in IRV2. It is a high quality built motorhome.

Keep scouting; check out PPL Motorhomes (Texas), Foretravel (Texas), classifieds (here on the forum). There is one out there for you.

Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2018, 08:30 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheMove2 View Post
TriMoot - you are in the Pac Northwest...have you located any honest dealers in the state...or close by?

Actually I have not. We bought ours from a private sale. Sorry.

TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:30 PM   #73

Foretravel Owners Club
@ ONTHEMOVE....
Just to throw more oil on the fire..
Here is the rest of the FT's listed by Motorhomes of TX..(and they may have more that haven't made it to the webpage....
ALL Pre Owned motorhomes Inventory
"And other "Quality" brands

I Have used MOT for repairs and they are straight up ppl..(And may have finance options available)

And just remembered..

There is a RV "flipper" catty waumpus from the Crappy-World in Coburg, OR. that has a bare bones (for a Foretravel that is) '99 U-270 36' non slide. (propane heat/hot water)
needs electronic's updated,all the gas struts for the cabinets doors replaced and has several standard dual pane windows that have snakey seals, and the tires are dated '13.
It does have nearly new decals on it tho...

They are asking nearly $50k.
I would offer no more than $30/$35k as is. and use the rest to bring it back to top form..
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:08 PM   #74

Im going to chime in here a little.

The airstream has/had a leak on the drivers side ceiling. Cool rig though.

Don't let 40' scare you. Once you spend some time behind the wheel you won't know its there. We were focusing on 32-36 ft because we were scared of the length. Found out that there is one chassis we can get up the drive and it was the longer W22 with the 22.5 tires. Ended up at 39'.

That Foretravel is beautiful. Pics are deceiving but they are well made rigs and the people that own them take good care of them. We didn't do diesel cause they are too low to the ground in the rear. The rear would get scraped right off at our house.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:16 PM   #75

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Saddlesore for your thoughts and comments. I DO love the Fourtravels. They are an awesome coach, no doubt. My concerns about a 40 foot coach as opposed to a shorter length have a lot to do with parking it. One of the reasons I want to get a motorhome is so I can go and visit my daughter periodically. She is a college student, but has health issues and on top of school (she is pre-vet) she is trying to raise my granddaughter who is five and autistic. She is attending school in Pullman which is in Eastern WA. They have crapola RV parking around there and the one RV lot in Pullman has only 2 parking places to accommodate a 40 foot coach, and they are always booked months in advance. So, I thank you for thinking that I can do more than I might give myself credit for (and I do try to always do more....LOL), that is a serious parking limitation.

On top of that, the parks, especially in the Western US have a lot of parking limitations as well. You can't even drive a motorhome down the coastal highway of 101 if it is longer than 32 feet! And I was told that many of the National parks do not have parking for a rig greater than 35 feet.

So, I was trying to keep it shorter. Now a FourTravel around that size, might just be something to think about however.

But thanks...as always. Your feedback....everyone's feedback has been invaluable.
OnTheMove2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:28 PM   #76

Fleetwood Owners Club
CaptBill...thank you for your support. I agree that the ForeTravel is an awesome coach. And I will check out the links that you and the rest here have posted.

I replied to Saddlesore my reasons for needing a shorter coach, which I think are valid. Unfortunately.

I will follow up on the Monaco. Its only drawback was the lack of a slide. Many of the older coaches don't have slides I know. I was told that the slide technology was not as advanced back then as it is now and many of them had problems. Don't know if that is true, or only true with certain manufacturers.

I am quite willing to haggle for a good price or for bonus options (like tires, etc.), but it has to check all my boxes.

As for the Airstream...Oh my Lord!

I went to look it yesterday, but I couldn't really check it out. The person selling the coach, who, according to him, buys and sells motorhomes all of the time, was a bit squirrely, which was not a good thing.

I tried to test out the appliances,but they would not turn on. I was told the coach batteries were all drained; and even though it was parked right in front of his house, apparently we could not hook it up to electricity, AND he did not have a jumper to be able to charge them...HUH? Now how does someone who buys and sells RVs all of the time NOT have a jumper?

All I could really do was physically inspect it; it had some body damage outside (like a sideswipe) and the decals were pealing off. There were several broken cabinets inside, the carpet was in really bad shape as was the kitchen linoleum and the chairs and sofa were badly frayed. The TV was missing in the bedroom and the front TV appeared to be broken. It also had a cracked windshield. I knew about the carpet and windshield.

I told him that since I could not really test anything, I would not be interested in purchasing it unless I could have it inspected. Wow...things got interesting then (if you consider squirming, interesting that is LOL). First he said that he would have no time to drive it somewhere for an inspection. I said that was okay because the inspector could come there. Then he said that he did not have time to waste for some inspection to happen next week. So I said he wouldn't have to wait as he could be there tomorrow, meaning today. So then he said he would give me a 72 hour warranty on the appliances; so if they did not work, he would fix them. I told him I would not want to buy something only to have to test everything out after the fact. I told him I would much prefer to have it professionally inspected. So he said..."I have worked with inspectors before and they always condemn a coach if it is 20 years old". I told him I did not believe that at all, especially a diesel. So, I told him I could not buy it. Boy...did he get angry and start shouting at me for "wasting his time". Ha...then after I drove away, he was calling me (did not answer) and called me again today to say that we could work something out...Not going to happen!

Oh well, as you say...there is a motorhome out there for me! I just have to wait for it to happen.

Thanks for your wisdom...truly truly helps!

Terry
Old 05-20-2018, 02:30 PM   #77

Fleetwood Owners Club
Oh that's okay TriMoot. Figured it couldn't hurt to ask.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:32 PM   #78

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks ForkyFork...I didn't notice the leak, but everything else was such a problem, I had to walk away from that Airstream. I explained a bit in detail in my other posting.

I did not know that diesel were close to the ground. Are you saying that diesels (all of them) are closer to the ground than a gas rig? I live up a country road with a few bumps...am I going to have a problem do you think?

Had not thought about that at all...

Terry
Old 05-20-2018, 02:36 PM   #79

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
@ ONTHEMOVE....
Just to throw more oil on the fire..
Here is the rest of the FT's listed by Motorhomes of TX..(and they may have more that haven't made it to the webpage....
"And other "Quality" brands

I Have used MOT for repairs and they are straight up ppl..(And may have finance options available)

And just remembered..

There is a RV "flipper" catty waumpus from the Crappy-World in Coburg, OR. that has a bare bones (for a Foretravel that is) '99 U-270 36' non slide. (propane heat/hot water)
needs electronic's updated,all the gas struts for the cabinets doors replaced and has several standard dual pane windows that have snakey seals, and the tires are dated '13.
It does have nearly new decals on it tho...

They are asking nearly $50k.
I would offer no more than $30/$35k as is. and use the rest to bring it back to top form..
Saddlesore..a flipper catty waumpus? Now that phrasing made me laugh! I will check it out. I hate to have to spend too much time repairing a coach, but if it is a good deal and worth it, then I might.

I am also going to check out the links you sent me. Thanks...

I will keep on lookin...and hope to soon keep on truckin!

Terry
Old 05-20-2018, 02:59 PM   #80

Fleetwood Owners Club
Lookin' and Lookin'

Taking a peak at some of the links, there were some beauties:

On the less expensive side:

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-r...o-bay_rv-37735

This looks pretty:

1999 Foretravel U320 36 Priced at $ 64500

No photos, but could be a possibility:

2000 Foretravel U270 36' Priced at $ 54500

Spoke with a salesperson at LazyDays in Florida. He sent me these to consider:

https://www.lazydays.com/rvs/tampa-f...iesel-21024592

https://www.lazydays.com/rvs/tampa-f...eetah-21021322

https://www.lazydays.com/rvs/tampa-f...urney-21024885

Now, I can't travel to Florida or Texas right now, but if I got the rig inspected and it checked out then I figure it could be shipped to me...right?

Has anyone done that before? Not sure how much it would cost but I simply am unable to fly right now.

I could purchase the Tiffin outright, the rest I would have to finance. Hate to do that...I am retired and just don't want the monthly payments. But it might be the only way to go to get a decent coach.

Thanks everyone.

Have to go tend to my puppy. She is not doing well after her surgery.

Best regards y'all....Terry
Old 05-20-2018, 04:08 PM   #81

Quote:

I told him that since I could not really test anything, I would not be interested in purchasing it unless I could have it inspected. Wow...things got interesting then (if you consider squirming, interesting that is LOL). First he said that he would have no time to drive it somewhere for an inspection. I said that was okay because the inspector could come there. Then he said that he did not have time to waste for some inspection to happen next week. So I said he wouldn't have to wait as he could be there tomorrow, meaning today. So then he said he would give me a 72 hour warranty on the appliances; so if they did not work, he would fix them. I told him I would not want to buy something only to have to test everything out after the fact. I told him I would much prefer to have it professionally inspected. So he said..."I have worked with inspectors before and they always condemn a coach if it is 20 years old". I told him I did not believe that at all, especially a diesel. So, I told him I could not buy it. Boy...did he get angry and start shouting at me for "wasting his time". Ha...then after I drove away, he was calling me (did not answer) and called me again today to say that we could work something out...Not going to happen!

Oh well, as you say...there is a motorhome out there for me! I just have to wait for it to happen.

Thanks for your wisdom...truly truly helps!

Terry
Wow. Terry, all I can say about that guy is he did you a BIG favor when he went ballistic. Saved you from a lot of headache, stress and heartache that you would no doubt have, if you bought ANYTHING from him. I always say when somebody "tells" you who they are, you have to believe them. He told you who he is, loud and clear. Wow.

Now of the links you posted, I liked the Safari coach, but I REALLY liked the 36 Winnebago Journey. I partial to them, and have owned my 36 for 15 years. Itasca is the same as Journey, with different colors/fabrics/trim. Same build quality.

Winnebago provides ALL owners of one of their products, excellent CS and tech suppport, even if you are not the original owner. They also provide wiring diagrams, plumbing, HVAC, wall cross-section diagrams, everything, for free. All available for downloading in .pdf files. BTW, Winnebagos also don't use a rubber gasket for holding in and sealing the windshield. They bed the glass in a steel frame, just like the automobile industry. And they stamp ID-numbers on all wiring, all along it's length, with correlating wire numbers on the wiring diagrams. This make add-ons or troubleshooting, a much easier process, whether for the owner or for a technician.

Well you certainly are having quite the adventure. Hope you don't run into another guy like that Airstream guy. Geeesh!!

Wishes for a better outcome next time.

Bill
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:37 PM   #82

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:

On top of that, the parks, especially in the Western US have a lot of parking limitations as well. You can't even drive a motorhome down the coastal highway of 101 if it is longer than 32 feet! And I was told that many of the National parks do not have parking for a rig greater than 35 feet.
Hmmm... As for the 35'.. You must be confusing Cali route 1 (PCH) with the US-101..altho there are a few places you must use the truck route bypasses to avoid downtown areas on US-101.

As for the State & National Parks on the west side of the Mississippi having space for a 40 (or even a 45') Yes you have to pay attention to what is available, but that is not even a passing concern for us, There are options available.. The Eastern US then yes you may have some difficulties..

If you have a toad (I HIGHLY recommend that you do ) then take a look @ several RV Parks around Colfax or other nearby communities to Pullman.

With ANY RV (New or Used) take the time to really tryout all systems prior to purchase.., and if used... have the purchase contingent upon a thorough inspection by a KNOWLEDGEABLE inspector familiar with that particular brand
It is much preferred to know ahead of a purchase what is deficient rather than after the fact..
.. All brands of RV,s have their strong points & weaknesses..
ie: water intrusions, frame/drive train/cooling/coach house integrity and so on.

Happy Hunting..
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:47 PM   #83

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi Bill,

Yes, my adventure just keeps going on and on and sometimes, like with this Airstream guy...it becomes a tad bit crazy. Can you believe, after telling me that he has TONS of people waiting to buy the coach, he has called me twice and texted me once to tell me that he is sure we can work something out...AS IF???? LOL

As soon as I posted the link to the Winnebago I just knew you would give high marks to that one. I know how much you like these Winnebagos (and for good reason). I also liked the Safari, and there is a Monaco that just got posted on Trader as well that looks really nice.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...-alert-listing

This is being sold by a private dealer, but even if I could negotiate it down some, I would have to get financing. I know that if I purchased at a dealer site they could help me get financing, but not sure how to get my own. I believe that RV loans are a strange beast and not everyone offers them.

I am a bit confused by the remark of it being garaged for all but 3 years. That needs some clarification.

In the meantime, and on a different note, one of the reasons I am also looking for something a tad bit shorter is because I need to find room to park it on my property. I am having someone come out to create an RV pad for me but I don't think I would have room for a 40 footer. Plus for him to do this, I must first relocate my trailer.

My neighbor parked it for me by using his large backhoe. While he was nice enough to pull it in so the door was facing my house, that also meant the hitch was facing away from my driveway entrance, placing it only about two feet from my fence. He had told me he would be happy to move it again whenever I needed him to do it. The problem is that he has either 1) been too busy every time I have asked him to move it for me in the past TWO months or, and much more likely...2) is afraid of his wife! She is unhappy that I asked her to control her two loose dogs who were always over on my property and I KNOW, he does not want to get yelled at by her for helping me out.

I have tried to think of a way to move the doggone thing, but it can't be dragged from the back end and my truck can't reach the hitch. I have been thinking about buying a trailer dolly so I could move it. They aren't cheap...between $400 and $500. Has anyone ever used one of these? I am not sure how much the trailer weighs but I believe it is less than 5,000 pounds.

Sigh...it is always something. When I embarked upon this journey, I had no idea it would be fraught with angry Airstream sellers and fraidy-cat neighbors. But such is life and I'm still enjoying this strange trip.

Thanks for coming along for the ride...well sort of (heck you know what I mean)

Terry
Old 05-21-2018, 12:00 AM   #84

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi Saddlesore,

Thanks for the advice and information.
I will check out the Colfax area. I thought there was a park over by a Marina, but I wasn't sure. I checked on the Idaho border and couldn't find anything. But I will do a bit more checking before I allow myself to be limited in size. I am starting to like the idea of a larger rig ha ha. I think you guys are bad for me!

Yes, we traveled up and down the Eastern seaboard into Louisiana, Mississipi and Kentucky a few years ago and I was grateful that I had rented a 30 footer as parking was difficult for those larger rigs.

Geesh I hate to sound so ignorant...but uh...what is a toad? I am pretty sure I don't have one, unless you are talking about the amphibian fellows.

As for Hwy 101...I could have sworn that I read somewhere that they are limiting the length of motorhomes that can drive on US 101. I can understand why they would on PCH. I lived in Redondo Beach for a few years and drove on PCH a lot....crowded!

I couldn't agree more about getting it inspected. I think I found a good inspector from one of the links which was posted. Have been chatting back and forth with him. However, I did not know I needed to make sure which Manufacturers he was familiar with. I guess I had better make sure of that. He mentioned something about doing a thorough testing of the the fluids. There was a basic testing that was included with the inspection, but there was a more comprehensive testing that would cost a bit more. I will try and post what he said.

I am getting more knowledgeable every doggone day. Thanks everyone!

Terry

Tags
motorhome, trailer