Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2007, 05:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Was asked today if I have Gel-Coat or Clear-Coat on my Journey DL. Do not know, can't seem to find any literture that says, don't know how to tell, and so now checking with the best source on the net.

Anybody who can point me in the right direction please check in and thank you in advance.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Was asked today if I have Gel-Coat or Clear-Coat on my Journey DL. Do not know, can't seem to find any literture that says, don't know how to tell, and so now checking with the best source on the net.

Anybody who can point me in the right direction please check in and thank you in advance.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Steve,
I don't know about 02's but my 04 Vectra KD has gelcoat. You might call WGO tech. support or look in your OP manual under care and maint.

mrbojangles
mrbojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

03 Horizon QD had clear coat. You have a nice coach and floor plan. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Steve:

Unless you have full body paint, you will have gelcoated fiberglass (Winne calls it Filon). If your rig is similar to my '02, the lower portion of the rig is painted with Dupont Imron and all the white portion is gelcoat.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Coach is not full body paint and should have mentioned that. Seem to remember the word 'Filon' from the purchase experience. Did confirm the Dupont Imron paint on the lower portion. So it would seem the consences is 'Gel Coat'

The reason we need to know is have been told as the unit ages, exposed to sun, etc. the whites will yellow and can be restored by using the proper rubbing compounds. Gel Coat is handled differently than Clear Coat.

Visited with the Protectal Company on the phone the other day and found them very helpful. Will report of our experience as it develops.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Steve:

Will be interested in your experiences with Protect-All. Mine is stored outside in partial shade and the previous owner spent three winters in Florida. He took good care of it and so do I so I am seeing no significant fading or yellowing yet. I can see a slight difference in color from the sides and rear cap (rear cap is 'whiter'). I've tried Protect All and 303 Protectant on the gelcoat but it always seems to leave visible smearing and swirls, no matter how much I rub. I've had the best success with an annual polish with NU Finish (doing it now). In between the Nu Finish applications, I use a product called No Wet (maybe once or twice a year if I am in the mood). So far for a 5 year old rig, it still looks new.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote