Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Do the batteries charge up when running the gen

I run it about 1/2 hr once per month on a full load.
ewaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Yes. Your house batteries should charge.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewaldo View Post
Is this just for topping up an idle battery that has been in storage and was FULLY charged before being put in storage? Is your battery bank disconnected from all parasitic loads or does it have a continuous load on it in between your monthly 1/2 hour charging events? If so...what is that load? What size is your battery bank? What output is your alternator? When you climb into your coach BEFORE you start charging or running the engine....what voltage do your batteries read at their terminals?

It ain't a simple yes or no if you don't know the answers to many of these questions.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
ewaldo,
Well Sir, first off, it would be nice to know what motor home you have.
Year, make, model, engine, type of generator-i.e. diesel, gas, propane etc.

You see, coaches are set up many times, quite differently. Gas units "typically" are set up with a "Converter". And, most converters have a form of a battery charger built into them. Some are more powerful and have multiple stages of battery charging and some don't.

Diesel rigs are many times, setup with an "Inverter". And, many of those inverters also incorporate a battery charging side too.

Now, both units, a Converter and, an Inverter both run from 110VAC. And, that 110VAC can be supplied by both shore power and generator power.

So, the more info we have, the more we can help in determining maybe "How" your system SHOULD be working and IF, it's working correctly and as designed. Plus, when displaying all the info, it helps you learn more about your rig and how it works.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:22 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Your batteries will charge. but.. 1/2 hour is not nearly long enough to do the job.. Monitor battery level and as it drops consider either

1: A six hour generator run or
2: Shore power. (note only need 6-12 hours of shore power)

Batteries charge the same, and by the same device (converter) no matter which source of 120vac you have in place.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the answers. I'm not wanting to charge the batteries by running the generator just curious if batteries would charge when running the generator. As per running the gen 1/2 hr per mo I heard that's the thing to do to keep it running in good condition.
ewaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks for all the answers. I'm not wanting to charge the batteries by running the generator just curious if batteries would charge when running the generator. As per running the gen 1/2 hr per mo I heard that's the thing to do to keep it running in good condition.

Must be a secret to know the model/type/make of coach.
Sorry for asking
Scott
Old 10-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Scott.. Normally you are right, Make and model make a difference.. But in this SPECIFIC question (And a very very few others) the same answers apply to all of 'em.

The only difference make/model wise in this question was not ask by the O/P.

"Will running the generator also charge the CHASSIS battery?"

That... Was not ask, and it is the only part of the question make/model specific.

That said. Yes, it would be nice if people asking questions included make and model.. Either of the RV, or in some cases better yet about the devices being asked about.

So your request for make and model... Is in fact included in one of the "Form Faq" type posts around here..

A very common related question: Should I leave my RV plugged in all the time?

Answer: Depends on the make/model of your converter, and THIS, in turnon the make/model of your RV.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Scott.. Normally you are right, Make and model make a difference.. But in this SPECIFIC question (And a very very few others) the same answers apply to all of 'em.

The only difference make/model wise in this question was not ask by the O/P.

"Will running the generator also charge the CHASSIS battery?"

That... Was not ask, and it is the only part of the question make/model specific.

That said. Yes, it would be nice if people asking questions included make and model.. Either of the RV, or in some cases better yet about the devices being asked about.

So your request for make and model... Is in fact included in one of the "Form Faq" type posts around here..

A very common related question: Should I leave my RV plugged in all the time?

Answer: Depends on the make/model of your converter, and THIS, in turnon the make/model of your RV.
Wa8yxm,
Thank you Sir, for that. I know and realize that yes, generally there "should be" at least some form of battery charging while a generator is running. So many folks have tendency to just "Blurt" out an answer without knowing a bit more information. There's also many folks who don't know much at all about their own rig. Many of them just jump on a forum without looking at their own owners manuals, information pamphlets and more.

And, on quite a few diesel rigs with at least the 7.5QD Onan, the option of a battery charger is installed, right on the base of the generator. That charger is there to charge the battery(s) that are used to start the generator, not any other batteries on the coach. The "Converters" in many gas rigs don't have as potent of a battery charging system as many of the "Inverters" do in the Diesel rigs.

So, yes, a general answer of "Yes" it will charge your battery(s) "COULD" be true. Lots depends on how the coach, was setup in the first place. For instance, at least in the pre-'06 model Winnes and Itascas, there is NO PROVISIONS FOR CHARGING THE CHASSIS BATTERIES, when the gen is running or on shore power. In the early '06 and later ones, Winnie and Itasca started installing the "Trik-L-Start" as a remedy for dead chassis batteries after sitting for even a short while in storage.

So, this is why I asked what I asked. But, it appears knowing additional info to give an appropriate and somewhat educated answer, is not important. Oh well. No biggie.
Scott
Old 10-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

not to flame any one, but more information allows a poster who answers to give a more intelligent answer. a generic question will always get a generic answer. which may be absolutely correct, even though its generic.
without make, model, and sometimes, serial number, its almost impossible it give a somewhat correct answer. heck, with generators, even the series number makes a difference.
ive always been told to assume answers on forums are opinions. sometimes answers from personal experiences are the best.
only a hands on examination will give a correct diagnosis. having worked in the rv industry since 1967, ive come to believe that.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
not to flame any one, but more information allows a poster who answers to give a more intelligent answer. a generic question will always get a generic answer. which may be absolutely correct, even though its generic.
without make, model, and sometimes, serial number, its almost impossible it give a somewhat correct answer. heck, with generators, even the series number makes a difference.
ive always been told to assume answers on forums are opinions. sometimes answers from personal experiences are the best.
only a hands on examination will give a correct diagnosis. having worked in the rv industry since 1967, ive come to believe that.
azpete,
Roger that Sir.
Scott
Old 10-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Please fill out your Signature, This will better help those of us with a more correct answer.
However, yes they should and depending on your model when the generator is running will also charge the chassis battery or batteries.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Please fill out your Signature, This will better help those of us with a more correct answer.
However, yes they should and depending on your model when the generator is running will also charge the chassis battery or batteries.
It is filled in, 2003 Itasca Sunrise.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
It is filled in, 2003 Itasca Sunrise.
We if it is I don't see it anywhere in his post. It must be just me then.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Nope, not just you
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:40 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Did you look at his profile? It's right there, two clicks from here.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #17

Quote:

It's in his public profile. If you click on his name in the signature it will come up. But you're correct. It would make things easier if the info was in his signature.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

The discussion of rig info in a signature is not the topic of this thread. Please take that discussion to a new thread.

Thank you,
Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
The discussion of rig info in a signature is not the topic of this thread. Please take that discussion to a new thread.

Thank you,
Lori-
It may be off topic, but if you read the flow of the thread, it was only to clarify and inform where the information was located. If it had been started in another thread, those reading the thread would not have seen it. Just sayin"
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

New thread posted!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/new-t...ml#post1783530
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries