Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-15-2011, 06:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Door Awning 06 Horizon

My door awning will not extend. When I actuate the button I can hear the motor click (getting power to it) but it will not extend. I took the plastic cover off the left side which exposed the motor. Now what?

Is there a mechanical failure? how do I get to it? I don't see any other access points.

I am sure someone has been there and fixed it..

Thanks,

Steve
nextcom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Steve,
I imagine yours is the same Oasis Elite awning we have on our 05 Journey. We had the same symptom and it required motor replacement. During that time frame the motors were built without a drain hole in the housing. Water would collect inside and result in corrosion failures.

Not what you wanted to hear, though.

One other thought. Soon after the motor replacement I thought it failed again when the awning would not extend. It turned out I had the ignition in the ACC position. Wouldn't be that simple would it?
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Bill, thanks for your reply, No, key is out I'm parked at a CG. It looks like the wires from the motor go through the side wall with no access point to quick connector (if there is one) did you replace the motor yourself?
nextcom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem View Post
Steve,
I imagine yours is the same Oasis Elite awning we have on our 05 Journey. We had the same symptom and it required motor replacement. During that time frame the motors were built without a drain hole in the housing. Water would collect inside and result in corrosion failures.
I had the same problem about a month ago. My awning was stuck in the extended position. Pulled apart the motor and it was full of water. I manually closed the awning and taped it closed. In the middle of the night, I heard a thump and the next morning discovered the awning had sprung open. Of course this time it broke one of the arms. Needless to say, I completely removed it and I'm waiting for replacement to arrive.
washbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

WHEN I HAD MY 06 HORIZON THE DOOR AWNING FAILED TO RETRACK. nO QUICK DISCONNECT, HAD TO CUT WIRES, DRILL OUT RIVETS SO I COULD TRAVEL. TOOK AWNING TO A DEALER, NEW MOTOR, REINSTALL AWNING. YOURS WANT EXTEND SO YOU WANT HAVE TO GO MY ROUTE, BUT YOU MAY NEED A NEW MOTOR.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

No, Lazydays did it. I watched the tech working, but after the awning was removed so the electrical connection is not clear in my mind.

Mechanical removal of awning from coach looked very straight forward. Removal of motor from awning required drilling out a pop rivet, and that would need to be replaced on install. I would say that if you are mechanically incline it is a DIY job.

As I recall it took less than an hour to do once the correct motor was obtained.
The motor was not cheap, but my extended warranty covered it since I was having enough other stuff done to get past the deductible.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

One other thing, Steve. If you plan to drive the coach at this point with the awning still in place, secure it with a long wire tie so it will not deploy enroute.