Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2019, 06:14 AM   #1

Heartland RV Club
Door limiter

Hi All, has anyone done a mod that limits how far the door opens? I was camped at a site and the wind was howling and when I opened the door, it went flying out of my hand and swung around, flexing the door hinges.

I've seen some mods that others have done using a gas strut, but nothing specific for Winnebago.

I am not one for re-inventing the wheel, so if anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated. I looked at the 3-ts T-21 Door Stop, but not sure I want to put that on and have it sticking out, whereas the gas strut would mount on top of the door into what I hope would be pretty solid material. Or is there something I am overlooking or not aware of?

Appreciate the feedback.
Thx
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2019, 03:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mtn View Post
Hi All, has anyone done a mod that limits how far the door opens? I was camped at a site and the wind was howling and when I opened the door, it went flying out of my hand and swung around, flexing the door hinges.

I've seen some mods that others have done using a gas strut, but nothing specific for Winnebago.

I am not one for re-inventing the wheel, so if anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated. I looked at the 3-ts T-21 Door Stop, but not sure I want to put that on and have it sticking out, whereas the gas strut would mount on top of the door into what I hope would be pretty solid material. Or is there something I am overlooking or not aware of?

Appreciate the feedback.
Thx
7mtn,
Well Sir, yep, I've come up with an idea that I've been testing out now for a couple of years and so far, we're real happy with it. We live near 3-Ts and, yeah, we both really don't like their remedy for Winnabago/Itascas poor design of a door limiter. They (3-Ts) like it because, they've made money off of it. But, just like your experience with the wind, putting that stop, that low and on one corner only, you're asking for trouble if the wind kicks up rapidly.

Yep, I too like the gas strut idea. But, I spoke with a person who's supposedly "in the know" for Winnebago products and, his thoughts on a gas strut up top, were that it would be attached to the weakest point of construction of those type of doors. And that would be just above the glass. I'm not totally sure I agree with that. I've seen a few other coaches, like a couple of Country Coaches with an almost identical door and door-window arrangement and, they had gas struts up above them that linked to the door jamb on the outside.

When those doors were opened, they were held in place very positively. I'm still thinking about it. As for my plan, well, here it is. When on the FD for 30 years, we had very expensive fire trucks. They had the latest and greatest gadgets, bells and whistles. But, when it came to door limiters for those big, heavy doors, it was about as simple as one could get. All they used was a couple of sections of very thick webbing. The webbing was attached to the door and the interior side of the door jamb via a bunch of bolts and a flat plate. With a minimum of two on each door, those doors couldn't go beyond a given degree of opening, if they wanted to.

So, I adapted that webbing plan to suit our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. In the pictures below, you'll see how it, (the plan) is devised. I started off with one piece of nylon, 1" webbing and well, it worked but, it was not as strong as I wanted. So, I jumped over to THREE pieces of 1" Nylon webbing. Now that, is much, much better. We can park facing down hill and our heavy door, won't go past about 85 degrees of opening. I set it up so that the limit is about that, not 90 degrees.

When you're talking leverage, the "Wind" has a ton of it. So, this is why I did not want the door to go to 90 degrees. This is a choice thing. If you adapt this plan, you can make it so it (the door) stops where you want it to. Our original door limiter is still in place. The webbing is what does all the limiting now though. See what you think.
Scott

Oh, almost forgot. The webbing/straps, are attached to the door, INSIDE the plastic panel that is screwed to the door. The plastic panel must be removed to do this project. And, the webbing has no effect on that plastic panel when it's re installed. And, the metal plates that hold each sewn in loop, also don't have any effect on the door closing clearances.
Scott

P.S. In looking at the photos, you kind-a have to zoom in on them to see just how they're attached and how they look on there. They're black which, blends in with the interior color of the innards of that door. Sorry about that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0858.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	244737   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0859.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	244738  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0860.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	244739   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0862.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	244740  

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:19 AM   #3

Heartland RV Club
Thanks Scott, Appreciate you sharing your solution and I like how it is hidden. How did you attached the plates, did you use self drilling/tapping screws?
Old 05-05-2019, 09:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mtn View Post
Thanks Scott, Appreciate you sharing your solution and I like how it is hidden. How did you attached the plates, did you use self drilling/tapping screws?
EXACTLY!
Both areas lend themselves to the use of self drilling/tapping screws. And, due to the dynamics of design, you're tying to SHEAR one set (door attachment) but, you're trying to pull out, the jamb set. So far, in the couple of years we've used this remedy, no signs of either set getting loose or attempting to back out of their tightened positions. Still working, and waaaaaaaaay better than the 3-Ts version of a remedy. The webbing I used, as stated was about 1" wide and, it's pretty stout stuff. You can't stretch it almost at all. Some webbings, as in the tinner stuff, will stretch due to being cheap.

If you attempt this remedy:

1. You'll need a fairly stout sewing machine to create and sew the loops on each end.
2. While there is variable strength webbings, don't get the super thick stuff, It might have an effect when closing the doors.
3. Do your best to create equal length straps so that all (how ever many you create), will get taught, all at the same time. Good luck.

Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:32 AM   #5

Heartland RV Club
Thanks Scott, already started looking for webbing, thinking about using the straps from a 6' pull tie down I have, they seem to be pretty hefty.

Tags
door