Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2009, 06:10 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Door Repair ?

Our entry door suffered damage when it was blown into the open end of the compartent door in front of it. The compartment door has a good size rubber bumper, however the door realy took a good hit. The door exterior has a crack in it about 1" long. The crack is such that it travels front to rear & the upper edge sticks out over the bottom edge, so it looks like there will be minimal water intrusion. It does not look like it can be cosmetically repaired so as to be not visible. I was thinking of some sort of closure (water proofing) of the crack & something over the area???. Has anyone have this happen if so what was your solution.
Thanks in advance folks for your input.
pace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2009, 10:26 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Easiest and least unsightly would be to force silicone caulk into the crack with your finger, then if it were mine I would try to even the edges up by working it with my finger, and finish off with more silicione forced into/over the crack. Additional option would be put put some kind of stick-on decal over it all after the silicione dries! ...smiley face? ...club logo? ...etc...
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:42 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Easiest and least unsightly would be to force silicone caulk into the crack with your finger, then if it were mine I would try to even the edges up by working it with my finger, and finish off with more silicione forced into/over the crack. Additional option would be put put some kind of stick-on decal over it all after the silicione dries! ...smiley face? ...club logo? ...etc...
Terry, AFchap has the best solution you could ever come up with, and the cost is almost nothing. Whatever Sealer you put in the crack, let it dry real good, then take a single edge razor blade and real carefully use it to cut off excess, leaving it almost perfect. Send IRV2 an e-mail requesting a Decal. They sent me one, and it is really nice, white in color(which is probably the color of your door) and simply put in on, or like before mentioned, anything to cover it as well as protect it. Good luck,
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:21 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Both of your suggestions are exactly what I had in mind, I was hoping someone had a magic bullet but short of a new door I think that your ideas are the best/only way to go. As far as the decal to cover the damage I could not decide what to put there because the damaged area is off to one side. When you mentioned the "IRV2" decal I remebered that I have one & I think it might be just the right size/color/density to place over the repair. Thanks for helping me chose a repair plan & for reminding me about the "IRV2" decal.
pace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
It might be good if you could disassemble the door from the inside and glue a backer plate behind the break. Since it may happen again, perhaps a good solution would be to put a polished aluminum plate across the door to hide the crack and also to protect if it happens again.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote