Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-21-2007, 12:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have talked to Winnie tech support, but can't get to my MOHO until Wed or Thurs. I need to remove a compartment door that has been dented and get to abody shop for repair. They stated to remove the drip molding that is running alongside the body just above the comp. doors to get to the screws that holds the door. Would like to have some praticulars before I start.

Have you done this and how difficult??
Is there a hinge rod or screws-or both??
TIA.. 04 40ft. Vectra
mrbojangles
mrbojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have talked to Winnie tech support, but can't get to my MOHO until Wed or Thurs. I need to remove a compartment door that has been dented and get to abody shop for repair. They stated to remove the drip molding that is running alongside the body just above the comp. doors to get to the screws that holds the door. Would like to have some praticulars before I start.

Have you done this and how difficult??
Is there a hinge rod or screws-or both??
TIA.. 04 40ft. Vectra
mrbojangles
Old 05-21-2007, 02:04 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Bo, you can get to the hinge screws simply by opening the cabinet door. The trim strip is a formed tempered piece of steel that "snaps" on and off (however there is a teeny screw securing each extreme end).
Old 05-23-2007, 02:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

What a timely post. I needed to remove two of the compartment doors from my Sunova and was having difficulty with the molding strip until I found this thread. Troth's reply identified the end screw that was hindering removal of one piece. After removing it and the screws from the underside of each of the door hinges, I was able to remove one piece of the molding. I also had to remove the screws from the wheel well cover in order to hold the molding away from the sidewall to access the screws that attached one of the doors.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

mike or troth -
thanks for your replies. Hopefully have a little better understanding. Tried last week to work on this-no luck. Next question? Winnie, plus a few people have posted that the screws are a Trox20 head. Mine appear just to round with no shoulders at all. I even put a magnifying glass on them. If they are not round, the shoulders are very soft and they just strip down.
What are your thoughts or suggestions??

mrbojangles
Old 05-25-2007, 02:57 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

bo, Winnie uses mostly phillips head screws, although there are some screws with square-drive heads on the exterior trim parts. I haven't seen torx screws on Winnies, but I could be mistaken. If you've used a magnifier and can't identify it, and more importantly if you've found a screw with soft shoulders, then it's likely that it's a blind aluminum rivet. Winnie uses lots of them. They're easy to drill out with the careful selection of the right diameter drill bit.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

All of the screws I removed in my 2003 Itasca Sunova to get the compartment doors off were phillips head. Some were a little more difficult as they were at an angle toward the compartment.