Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2017, 07:01 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Driver's side door

I really like the Winnebago line and noticed that the Suncruiser comes with a driver side door. I love the floor plan, but the Suncruiser 37F is a bit out of my price range. Because of a physical disability, it's a little difficult to get in and out of of the driver's seat. The door on that side will make it easier to get in and out of the cab.

So, I'm wondering if there is a lower price Winnebago that has a driver side door?
pequeajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2017, 08:27 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
pequeajim none of the new Winnebago class A's have the drivers side door anymore. Several of the older models did.
I'm here to tell you getting in and out of the drivers side door can be a challenge miss a step and you will be on the ground. So be sure and check it our before you purchase.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:10 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If your physical disability makes it difficult to get in and out of the driver's seat from floor level, you won't be able to use the driver's door on a Winnebago class A. It's like climbing up/down a tiny ladder. Climbing in is doable, climbing out is an exercise in gymnastics.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pequeajim View Post
Because of a physical disability, it's a little difficult to get in and out of of the driver's seat. The door on that side will make it easier to get in and out of the cab.

So, I'm wondering if there is a lower price Winnebago that has a driver side door?
I feel your pain! Here are a couple of options....

1.) You will find it quite easy to get in and out of the driver's seat on a Class
A Diesel. Nice flat and level floor. You might consider a used one that is priced within your budget?

2.) I don't have a disability, other than being at the age of 76, and I found it very difficult to get in and out of the seat with the huge engine cover on any gas powered Class A with the Ford V10/F53 Chassis. The 2003 Indruder we have has the Workhorse Chassis with the 8.1l GM engine. The "dog house" is much less intrusive than the Ford V10. Unfortunately, the last year that the Workhorse/GM was produced for use in Motorhomes was 2009, I believe.

You can find a lot of nice older Class A's with the Workhorse/8.1l----2009 and older. Yes, there are more Ford powered units out there, partly because the Workhorse/GM options cost about $2000 more than the Ford combination. I know Winnebago units were available with either chassis, in the larger Class A's the Workhorse W24/8.1 liter was used quite often. That chassis also was used in Newmar and Damon Class A's. Others, I'm sure...I'm only familar with the aforementioned three.

Good
Old 07-25-2017, 10:54 PM   #5

My Newmar , has the optional drivers door , I agree with those who say it's not easy access . In 7 years , I've probably only used it 5 or so times to exit the vehicle .
Old 07-26-2017, 02:28 AM   #6

I'm a big fan of the driver side door. We typically take our shoes off when inside the motorhome so going in and out the drivers side door means less shoe traffic across the coach. when we are moving between one destination and another.

I go in and out the driver side door every time we take the coach on the road. It's not so bad really.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:55 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our previous coach was a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow, with driver's door. I never used the driver's door. I did like that it had a roll down window.

The shop I use for chassis service likes driver's door because they don't have to go through a customers living area.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:28 AM   #8

Never use the driver's door on ours. I'm not that tall and using that door is as bad as climbing in out the main door with the steps retracted.

You can't just walk out the driver's door like you can the main door. You have to turn around and go down backwards. Not sure what your disability is but it's something to consider. Be a good idea if you could try one out to see if it works for you.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:44 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Love my drivers door, but then I'm a healthy 64 year old and 6 feet tall. I use the door lots, like for fuelling up, dumping the tanks, or just to hop out to talk to someone. Sorry to see that Winnebago dropped the drivers door. Probably to keep costs down.
I don't know who is still offering a drivers door, but for a few of us out here, it's a much loved option.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:27 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oh, I agree that it's great. I use it often, and love it. BUT, I'm only 55, and it's still not "easy". As I said, more like climbing up & down a skinny ladder. Of course, I also have the Workhorse, so my doghouse is almost nonexistent; getting to the driver seat from inside is super easy.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:34 PM   #11

I don't know what disability you have but you may need to consider a Class C. It would be easier to get in and out of. I don't know how long they come but some of them look pretty big now and have slides. Just a thought.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:36 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marguerite66 View Post
I don't know what disability you have but you may need to consider a Class C. It would be easier to get in and out of. I don't know how long they come but some of them look pretty big now and have slides. Just a thought.
Not an option. I'm not a Class C guy.
pequeajim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, driver