Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2015, 10:37 AM   #1

Electric Brake Controller 2000 Winn Adventurer

Has anyone installed a electric brake controller on a 2000 Adventurer and if so what needed to be changed to allow the brake controller slider to be used? Have read several blogs about the brake pedal signal is grounded until pedal is depressed. Used a multimeter and found this to be true. So pressing the slider button places 12 volts straight to chassis. Blows fuses or burns wires. Is there a fix?
roadrider57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2015, 12:34 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
Not sure this is what you're looking for but it's a start

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/Wiring.ht
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrider57 View Post
Has anyone installed a electric brake controller on a 2000 Adventurer and if so what needed to be changed to allow the brake controller slider to be used? Have read several blogs about the brake pedal signal is grounded until pedal is depressed. Used a multimeter and found this to be true. So pressing the slider button places 12 volts straight to chassis. Blows fuses or burns wires. Is there a fix?
Is your motorhome built on a Ford or Workhorse chassis? Fords are prewired for a controller, and have some of the wires you need already terminated at the trailer socket.

I don't believe the Workhorse chassis is prewired for the controller. If you have the Workhorse chassis maybe someone with more experience with the Workhorse chassis can help.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:53 PM   #4

trailer brake controller on Adventurer.

I am running the F53 chassis on this 2000 Adventurer. I have gone through all the schematics that Winnebago has, the issue is that the chassis wiring is done at Ford before Winnebago takes possession, so I need the schematics for the F53 Chassis. The prewired plug that i located under the dash is connected properly to the chassis, but it seems that the way the wiring was done in 1999 and 2000 no one was thinking of trailer brake controllers with the slider or override button on the controller. Touching that button sends 12 volts straight to chassis negative because it would appear that the brake pedal either uses a relay somewhere in the chassis or incorporates a internal switch when the pedal is depressed. When the pedal is depressed the path to ground is opened and switched over to 12 volts, and vice versa, so by touching the slider without depressing the pedal it sends 12 volts out of the controller as it should but is a dead short. I need a set of F53 chassis schematics to study to determine why ford needs to ground that wire when the brake pedal is in the up position.
roadrider57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrider57 View Post
I am running the F53 chassis on this 2000 Adventurer. I have gone through all the schematics that Winnebago has, the issue is that the chassis wiring is done at Ford before Winnebago takes possession, so I need the schematics for the F53 Chassis. The prewired plug that i located under the dash is connected properly to the chassis, but it seems that the way the wiring was done in 1999 and 2000 no one was thinking of trailer brake controllers with the slider or override button on the controller. Touching that button sends 12 volts straight to chassis negative because it would appear that the brake pedal either uses a relay somewhere in the chassis or incorporates a internal switch when the pedal is depressed. When the pedal is depressed the path to ground is opened and switched over to 12 volts, and vice versa, so by touching the slider without depressing the pedal it sends 12 volts out of the controller as it should but is a dead short. I need a set of F53 chassis schematics to study to determine why ford needs to ground that wire when the brake pedal is in the up position.
The dead short that occurs when you push the slider is not because of a defect in the factory wiring. It's because the #10 blue wire that provides power for the brakes wasn't extended to and terminated at the trailer socket at the rear of the coach.

Ford runs the wiring harness along the left frame rail to the rear of the original Ford supplied frame. The body manufacturers are supposed to extend all the wires to the socket. For some reason Winnebago chose not to extend the blue #10 wire. The unterminated wire is probably touching against the frame rail or other ground.

Follow the wire loom from the trailer socket back to the original left frame rail. Open the loom at this point and you'll find all the wires that were supposed to go to the socket. In many cases the unterminated wires are folded back and taped together. In other cases they were just left inside the loom. The #10 blue wire for the brakes should be labeled "trailer brakes".

We went through this scenario on our 2001 Adventurer on the F53 chassis. When I finally figured it out I asked the Winnebago factory rep why they only extended some of the wires. His response was that if the coach was ordered by a customer who specified they would be towing all the wires would be connected. If the coach was ordered by a dealer for stock without mentioning the future customer would be towing only the brake and tail light wires would be extended and terminated at the socket.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:07 AM   #6

I forgot to mention in the previous post that if the brake wire is connected to the trailer socket there may also be a problem with the socket itself. We had several weird problems including blowing fuses and the backup camera coming on when I stepped on the brakes. It turned out that water had gotten in the rear of the socket (front facing side). It made contact with several of the wires including the brakes and backup lights. When the socket was replaced an properly waterproofed there were no more problems.

Tags
brake, vent