Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2019, 08:38 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Electric steps work sometimes?

any ideas would be great. sometimes they work fine ,next time just see them wiggle a bit and nothing..so we climb in and leave door open. then in 15 minutes they open?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2019, 08:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenvb View Post
any ideas would be great. sometimes they work fine ,next time just see them wiggle a bit and nothing..so we climb in and leave door open. then in 15 minutes they open?
Have you lubricated ALL of the pivot points recently? Manual calls for monthly lubrication.
Use a good water resistant spray lube.
CRC is one I've used and also Boshield T9. WD40 is among the poor choices.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:34 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Have you lubricated ALL of the pivot points recently? Manual calls for monthly lubrication.
Use a good water resistant spray lube.
CRC is one I've used and also Boshield T9. WD40 is among the poor choices.

Well you are correct, WD40 is NOT a good lubricant. Its design was as a penetrating oil to loosen things.
What you really need is some type of actual lubricant, WD-40 does make Silicon Lubricant and Gel Lubricant that work just fine.

I my self I use Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector fro the steps.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:47 AM   #4

One of our previous MH had an inline fuse installed. The fuse holder was not weatherproof and was exposed to the elements. The contacts inside the fuse holder corroded. When parked in the driveway with the steps down, they would mysteriously close. I finally discovered that intermittent voltage changes due to the corroded fuse contacts were causing the steps to close.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:57 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
electric steps

its not a lack of lube issue, I have sprayed whole can of that CRC on the pivot points in last 3 yrs. that orange box with the wires is the culprit. I layed on ground beside the steps and tapped that box with small plastic hammer and the steps work.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:11 PM   #6

Sometimes erratic steps are the result of poor/corroded step ground wire and/or low battery.

Kevin
ksg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:03 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
electric steps

its not batterys..I installed 3 brand new 1200 amp starting batteries last week. if the motor doesn't start,.i can drive it on the starter now..no. it starts better than ever now. the old cummins barely turns over now and it starts.i hate to take it to local RV dealers at $140 a hr. Trudy bought a light weight stepping stool for now.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Send me a Private Message and I'll send you a Service/Troubleshooting Manual.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Well you are correct, WD40 is NOT a good lubricant. Its design was as a penetrating oil to loosen things.
What you really need is some type of actual lubricant, WD-40 does make Silicon Lubricant and Gel Lubricant that work just fine.

I my self I use Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector fro the steps.
The original WD40 was a water displacing chemical, not a lubricant.It displaced water then dried to a waxy film. It is flammable when wet, I nearly burned up my 1953 Chevy when I attempted to start it while the WD40 was still wet and spark plug wires cross-fired.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:41 PM   #10

Smile onebrit

Quote:
Ken
I have had problem with my steps several times in the past and found that after checking I was getting voltage to the motor I decided to remove it I disassembled the motor and found that the commutator was really dirty so I cleaned it with a fine emery and then using a nail file scraped the insulators between each segment to make sure no tracking would occur from one segment to another as the brushes looked fine I reused them put back together
plugged temporary power source and away she went, I had already got a replacement motor so now I have a good spare should it occur again.
Hope this helps if you have voltage at the motor remove the step drive pin and pull step in and out by hand just to check freedom of movement at this point its the motor that's the problem.
Good Luck
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:15 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
elec steps

thanks will check the motor connections ,,
Old 04-16-2019, 07:12 PM   #12

Ken
Just a quick follow if you have voltage at the motor chances are its the brushes and the commutator needs cleaning.
Good luck
Onebrit
Old 04-17-2019, 05:00 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebrit View Post
Ken
I have had problem with my steps several times in the past and found that after checking I was getting voltage to the motor I decided to remove it I disassembled the motor and found that the commutator was really dirty so I cleaned it with a fine emery and then using a nail file scraped the insulators between each segment to make sure no tracking would occur from one segment to another as the brushes looked fine I reused them put back together
plugged temporary power source and away she went, I had already got a replacement motor so now I have a good spare should it occur again.
Hope this helps if you have voltage at the motor remove the step drive pin and pull step in and out by hand just to check freedom of movement at this point its the motor that's the problem.
Good Luck
My steps have been erratic at times. I have had to 'loosen' the nuts that hold the motor assembly to the frame, allow the assembly to 'drop down' a little, and all works well for a while. Then re-tighten.
So, do you have any pics or instructions on your clean-up of the motor.
I seem to recall years ago that when I tried to take the cap of of the motor (or maybe the gearbox) it felt like there was a spring ready to pop out, so I tightened the screws and put it back on the motorhome.

Please advise for procedures for the motor as well as the gearbox.
Thanks.
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:58 PM   #14

Dear Sir
Unfortunately I didn't at the time I was having trouble with our steps think that I might be trying to help someone else resolve this Erratic step or step failure. I am a service technician on all types of Machine tools and have worked on large DC motors for many years now. So I tend to just dive in and try and resolve these kind of problems luckily having some success. However I will try and see if I can give you more details but will have to go look at my spare to remind myself about the disassembly procedure as I don't want to give you false information, I'm not sure if step manufacturer would have specs on replacing the brushes as that may include disassembly. I'll try and follow up on this to see If I can offer more detailed help.
Kindest Regards
OneBrit

Tags
steps, electric steps, electric