Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Electrical Problem

We have a 94 Winnebago Vectra---the panel showing how much water, holding tanks are full, propane, hot water tank igniter, generator on/off are located is not working. The water pump is working, but the panel does not light up, water tank is not heating, fan and light above stove where this panel is located isnot working either. We were told to check the fuses but we didn't find any burned out or tripped fuses. What is causing this problem and how to fix??? Thanx
katlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Check the 12vdc circuit breakers.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Your water heater operates on 120 volts. Check the breakers at the main AC panel.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Katlady are you in shore power or generator when this is happening? What about other 12vdc functions? Try both ways and see. !2 vdc reset breakers behind panel above micro-way make sure they are all pushed in. Also trip and reset breakers in panel below refrigerator. If no results there look in fuse box in engine compartment beside the radiator for shot fuses. Maybe solenoid or converter problems. Trial and error and try to narrow down. Good luck and keep us posted.
Hammer Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Welcome katlady to irv2.
Here are some wiring diagrams just pick out your coach.
Enjoy the forums.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Your water heater operates on 120 volts. Check the breakers at the main AC panel.
He said the water heater WAS heating up,, It also needs 12 volts in many cases for operaitonal control.

Look to the fuses, not the breakers

Possiblities.

1: Blown fuse

2: (Most likely) Broken connection.. More on that in a second.

3: Broken wire

4: Broken control panel

The water pump, if controlled by the switch and not by a "remote" relay, uses fairly heavy wires that are most likely crimp-connected to other very heavy wires, This type of connection works very well in practice and hardly ever fails.. You said the water pump is working.

Everythign else sips 12 volts so the wires on the control board (Switch panel) are much smaller, like 22ga or there abouts, These are also crimped to like 18 ga or larger wires that run about the rig to assorted places.. This does NOT work so well, I have had a few pull right out of the crimp connector.. Now, in my case, I know how to fix 'em and have the tools needed, but hey.. That is what I'm trained for (Electronics)

I would check for a loose wire or two that look like they should go together behind the panel.

NOTE: There WILL be loose wires there.. They use one harness for assorted configurations and some wires are not used, So look for a loose wire on the panel, and a wire that has a stripped end in the harness. And pray there is only one.

More than one you will need professional help (Contact the manufacturer and ask for the color codes)

While you have the panel open.... Grab ye-old Multi Meter on the voltage range (At least 15) and search for 12vdc, And ground.. On my panel it was a ground that came apart.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

thank you all for your input.....maybe you could clarify what your calling the 12vDC breakers--are they the same as the 12v above the microwave? I found no blown fuses or breakers...this is on either shoreline or on the generator....the hot water tank won't ignite and I haven't found where else it could be turned on other than that panel. The stove fan and light doesn't work either. Wa8...I haven't tried taking the cover off the panel, although I will admit I thought maybe the same about a loose wire as everything worked earlier that day and nothing....so I will try that. Thanks again everyone. Greatly appreciated.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

sorry it has taken me a while to reply back. Thanks u all for your help....there is a fuse behind a wall behind the panel that we finally found. That works now.

Unfortunately, we have another problem with our shoreline. Went to plug it in and no power. The pole has power but none in the motorhome. What do I check for this???
Old 09-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

First check to make sure your main breaker or breakers haven't tripped. It wouldn't hurt to reset it or them by turning off and then back on. If that isn't it, next would be the transfer switch. Does the generator still provide power?
Old 09-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

where do I find this transfer switch??? havent tried the generator. Will do that next. yes the generator provides power.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
where do I find this transfer switch??? havent tried the generator. Will do that next.
It is usually in the electrical compartment. The shore power cord goes into it as well as the generator and the breaker panel connection goes out of it.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

there is a box where the shore line is stored--says automatic line/generator switch for emergency use its totally enclose with the wiring going into it.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

I thank it a 12 v, do what wa8yxm said. Bad ground could do it.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I took the cover off the box by the shoreline.....shows connections for the shoreline and generator but still haven't seen a switch. What does this switch look like?? Did notice that the wiring for generator slides back N forth but the shoreline wiring doesn't
Old 10-11-2011, 10:56 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Automatic Transfer Switch - Circuitry in the box automatically transfers from shore power to generator operation when it automatically detects the presence of generator voltage. The shore power / generator wires are connected to relays in the box that are controlled by the detection circuitry. It is this automatic switching feature that the box is named for.

Your profile says you have a 34ft rig. Looking at the wiring diagram for the 1994 Vectra M34RA model, it indicates they had 30amp service standard with a 50amp service option. Is yours 30 or 50 amp service?

For a 1994 Vectra M34RA:
Wiring diagram home page: Table of Contents

Coach 12VDC/110VAC Wiring diagram: http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/1994/107954.pdf
PDF Pages 2-6 are 12VDC distribution
PDF Page 7 right side is 110VAC with 30 amp service distribution
PDF Page 8 is 110VAC with 50 amp option service distribution

Coach wiring installation: http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/1994/110426.pdf
PDF Page 13 left side is ATS inside with 30 amp service distribution
PDF Page 13 right side is ATS inside with 50 amp service distribution

The above information is used to isolate problems. If you do not know how to use it then you may need to get someone there to help you who does. If you do not have the Vectra M34RA, then the landing page for proper model selection is: 1994 Wiring Diagrams

BTW - It is best to start a new thread when you are switching from one problem to another. People may not catch the fact you reported the 12VDC problem was fixed in post #8 and are now working a 120VAC shore power problem. This is especially true in a thread that is nearly 6 months old.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
Check the 12vdc circuit breakers.
You have 12 volt CIRCUIT BREAKERS in your house?

I have fuses, circuit breakers for the most part are 120 volt.

That said. Check the fuses, also, check for 12 volts at the panel, and by all means check the #1 source of this kind of problem.. The GROUND connection.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
You have 12 volt CIRCUIT BREAKERS in your house?
Hate it when they go all modern on us but yes, pushbutton DC breakers have been replacing fuses on us while we were not looking. The OP's 94 Vectra was a prime example of the migration. Now days, you can even buy plug in resettable breakers (pricey) to replace the fuses we love so dear. They are bit to tall to fit in the enclousure well though. I like the fuses that lightup when they blow myself. When I upgraded my AC/DC panel I used both resettable breaker and lighted fuses (depended on size I needed).

Ohh BTW - they already fixed the 12VDC problem in post 8.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

How do you know the pole has power?
jdefant is offline   Reply With Quote